Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Birds for Barack

This is what I'm having for dinner tonight. Yum.

Shelly's Southwest Turkey Mini Meatloaf

1 Yellow Onion, diced
4 Green Onions, diced
3 cloves of Garlic, minced
1 1/4 pounds Ground Turkey, the average weight of 1 package
1/4 cup Italian Style Dry Bread Crumbs
1/4 cup Milk
1 Egg, beaten
1/2 cup Corn, canned or frozen
1/2 cup Black Beans, rinsed & drained
1/2 cup Pico de Gallo (near the salsa in the refrigerated section)
1 Tablespoon Fresh Cilantro, chopped
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
Butter/Oil for sauteing

Saute onions till golden. Add garlic cook 1 more minute. Set aside to cool. Soak breadcrumbs in milk for 1 minute. Beat egg. Add egg and soaked breadcrumbs to ground turkey. Add cooled veggies and all remaining ingredients. Mix till combined.

Divide into 8 equal mounds. Form into mini meatloaves or if you have this super groovy pan like me use it. Bake for 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven. These freeze well either cooked or uncooked.

You can serve the meatloaves as is or tonight I'm topping them with sliced avocado and a dollop of Fage Yogurt jazzed up with some Cholula Hot Sauce and making a baby spinach salad to go with.

Other Eggface Mini Meatloaves:

Shelly's Bacon Cheeseburger Turkey Mini Meatloaf
Shelly's Florentine Turkey Mini Meatloaf
Shelly's Italian Artichoke Mini Meatloaf
Shelly's Turkey Mushroom Mini Meatloaf
Shelly's Greek Mini Meatloaf
Shelly's Mexican Mini Meatloaf

Highlights of the Day:

* The Inauguration. Very exciting. I have to say I'm not really feeling the Inaugural Luncheon Menu though. It starts nicely. First course: a seafood stew. Yummy. Then it goes to hell. Second course: a bunch of dead birds in a cherry sauce. My guess Dick Cheney hunted them. If I were Barack or Michelle (loving that the first lady and I have the same name) I'd have some cool secret service dude hooking me up with some DC take-out on the sly. Come on show some love to the new leader of the free world... get the man a burrito.

* Made a Valentine's Day (aka Single's Awareness Day) seasonal table display. It's like a little Love Shrine. LOL I should look up some spells ;) I do have witch shoes or soooo I've been told. Yeah after the Christmas stuff came down the house looked so bare. I needed a little festivity back... even if it is celebrating my least favorite holiday. It looks super cool in the dark. Wanna see?

* Looking forward to dessert tonight. I'm making a batch of Apple Raisin Protein Souffles with warm SF Vanilla Custard.

Listening to: "Family Affair" Mary J. Blige


Lisa said...

love the v-d display,, it is pretty!
YEAH for Obama,,,,such a touching ceremony, I hope he does great things...his speech was great too!

the smiling fat girl said...

wow. you look great. so great. congrats on the weightloss success.

the smiling fat girl said...

FYI I hope you don't mind. I blogged about your site. I'm totally digging it.

Wanda Milam's House said...

Shelly, you may remember me, WandaM, I used to be an OH posting fanatic. It's been about 2-1/2 years for me since RNY and I don't visit the site much anymore, but I do lurk on your blog a good bit. It always makes me smile. You're such a sweet and pretty thing. I wish you lived closer to me, I would eat you up. I sometimes steal your stuff for my blog: wandamilam.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hey there - just wanted to drop by to say hello. Your blog is looking great as always.


kay said...

hi i love all your little meatloafs i was wondering i am 6 months out tomorrow how much should i be able to eat normally i eat half of the baby loaf by itself no sides is that normal? I'd ask my nut but i dont have health insurance anymore (lost my job) and nobody will cover me for the next 5 years so i just pay for my regular visits and he monitors my blood work etc. but he isnt sure when i asked him what i should be able to eat (portion wise)

Tricia said...

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I made the Meatloaf for dinner tonight. It was a hit and I can't wait until lunch tomorrow for leftovers!!

Tanya said...

I made the turkey meatloaf tonight....it was WONDERFUL! Thanks for the recipe!

lauratiu said...

We're snowed in here in So. Ohio, so I took it as an opp. to cook. I made the turkey meatloaf with a few modifications as I can't get to the store. I used wheaties for the bread crumbs and salsa for the pico de gallo. Made it kind of runny, so I plopped some of it into my mini-cupcake pan and formed some small loafs with the rest. Delicious. Nice and moist. The boys ate it with black bean soup after they were done shoveling and it got rave reviews.