Birds for Barack

This is what I'm having for dinner tonight. Yum.


Shelly's Southwest Turkey Mini Meatloaf

1 Yellow Onion, diced
4 Green Onions, diced
3 cloves of Garlic, minced
1 1/4 pounds Ground Turkey, the average weight of 1 package
1/4 cup Italian Style Dry Bread Crumbs
1/4 cup Milk
1 Egg, beaten
1/2 cup Corn, canned or frozen
1/2 cup Black Beans, rinsed & drained
1/2 cup Pico de Gallo (near the salsa in the refrigerated section)
1 Tablespoon Fresh Cilantro, chopped
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
Butter/Oil for sauteing

Saute onions till golden. Add garlic cook 1 more minute. Set aside to cool. Soak breadcrumbs in milk for 1 minute. Beat egg. Add egg and soaked breadcrumbs to ground turkey. Add cooled veggies and all remaining ingredients. Mix till combined.


Divide into 8 equal mounds. Form into mini meatloaves or if you have this super groovy pan like me use it. Bake for 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven. These freeze well either cooked or uncooked.

You can serve the meatloaves as is or tonight I'm topping them with sliced avocado and a dollop of Fage Yogurt jazzed up with some Cholula Hot Sauce and making a baby spinach salad to go with.


Other Eggface Mini Meatloaves:

Shelly's Bacon Cheeseburger Turkey Mini Meatloaf
Shelly's Florentine Turkey Mini Meatloaf
Shelly's Italian Artichoke Mini Meatloaf
Shelly's Turkey Mushroom Mini Meatloaf
Shelly's Greek Mini Meatloaf
Shelly's Mexican Mini Meatloaf


Highlights of the Day:

* The Inauguration. Very exciting. I have to say I'm not really feeling the Inaugural Luncheon Menu though. It starts nicely. First course: a seafood stew. Yummy. Then it goes to hell. Second course: a bunch of dead birds in a cherry sauce. My guess Dick Cheney hunted them. If I were Barack or Michelle (loving that the first lady and I have the same name) I'd have some cool secret service dude hooking me up with some DC take-out on the sly. Come on show some love to the new leader of the free world... get the man a burrito.

* Made a Valentine's Day (aka Single's Awareness Day) seasonal table display. It's like a little Love Shrine. LOL I should look up some spells ;) I do have witch shoes or soooo I've been told. Yeah after the Christmas stuff came down the house looked so bare. I needed a little festivity back... even if it is celebrating my least favorite holiday. It looks super cool in the dark. Wanna see?


* Looking forward to dessert tonight. I'm making a batch of Apple Raisin Protein Souffles with warm SF Vanilla Custard.

Listening to: "Family Affair" Mary J. Blige