Saturday, March 29, 2008

Beef, it's what's for dinner - Greek Mini Meatloaf

Weight Loss Surgery Low Carb Healthy Dinners Lunches Meals
Shelly's Greek Mini Meatloaf

1 1/2-1 3/4 pounds Ground Beef
1/4 cup Italian Style Dry Breadcrumbs (or I use Oatmeal)
1/4 cup Milk
2 oz. Tomato Basil Feta Cheese, crumbled
2 Eggs, beaten
1 Yellow Onion, diced
3 Green Onions, diced
2 cloves Garlic, diced
3 oz. Carrot, shredded
1 teaspoon Greek Seasoning
1 teaspoon Oregano
a few twists Black Pepper

Saute onions till golden. Add garlic cook 1 minute. Set aside to cool. Soak breadcrumbs/oats in milk for 1 minute. Beat eggs. Add eggs and soaked breadcrumbs/oats to ground beef. Add cooled veggies, carrots, seasonings, cheese. Mix till combined. Divide into 8 equal mounds.

Weight Loss Surgery Low Carb Healthy Dinners Lunches MealsForm into mini meatloaves. If you have this super groovy pan like me use it. Bake for 45 minutes in a 350 oven.

Weight Loss Surgery Low Carb Healthy Dinners Lunches MealsThese freeze well (either cooked or uncooked.)

Weight Loss Surgery Low Carb Healthy Dinners Lunches Meals
I served them with Italian Green Beans (frozen) and a Pesto Fage Greek Yogurt Dipping Sauce. For post weight loss surgery pals: I've been a dipper from the beginning. It helps keep everything sliding in the right direction plus you get the added protein from the Greek Yogurt.

Shelly's Pesto Yogurt Dipping Sauce

1/2 cup Greek Yogurt (I buy the 2% plain)
2 Tablespoons Storebought Pesto Sauce (I use Trader Joe's but Buitoni/Contadina has one available in most supermarkets near fresh pasta)
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper.

Mix together and let sit for a few minutes in the fridge. Great dip for beef, fish, chicken, or veggies.

More Eggface Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Dinner Recipes

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lady.. this looks amazing. I have to comment tho on the shineyness (new word) of your oven. Im jealous. WOW.. I gotta work on that.

Glad your doing well.
~Lisa
navypostmanswife

Molly said...

Oh baby...mama's makin' meatloaf tonight! I own that super groovy little pan and have been waiting for a great meatloaf recipe to test it. Thank you again for the yumminess. Hugs!

Michael B said...

I've heard so many WLS'ers singing the praises of fage yogurt. So I picked some up. I tried your super-easy pesto modification and LOVED it. I used it as a dip for smoked turkey breast instead of the high-sugar store-bought honey mustard dressing I usually use and it's great! Thanks Shelly!

Joanne said...

The food looks very good. What is the calorie count?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hi Joanne, Welcome to the blog.

You can figure out nutrition information to any recipe (mine or others) by going to a site like fitday.com typing in each individual ingredient, add those totals and divide by the # of servings you get from the dish.

I'm 2-1/2 year's out and can eat obviously more than someone say 4 months so serving size should be determined by your medical posse's recommendations.

Nutrition facts can vary so widely... on my plan I use full fat cheese, full fat mayo, butter, olive oil, others may use low fat cheese or horrors that non fat toxic waste, what percentage % fat of beef or turkey you use, etc. The nutrition numbers would swing like a pendulum. I leave that up to you.

~Michelle

Georgie said...

I am a weight loss surgery newbie. I had a sleeve gastrectomy a month ago. I made this yoghurt dipping sauce last night and it was completely delicious!!! Thank you so much for such a fabulous taste sensation for my poor bored post op taste buds.

vicki said...

i made your mini meatloafs in little foil pans ,and froze a couple ,they were vey good ,i will make them again.