Friday, July 18, 2008


I tried the new Starbuck's Banana Chocolate Vivanno Smoothie yesterday. I had them change the milk to Soy and I added a shot of espresso. It was tasty. Not TDF (to die for) tasty. So I doubt I'll get another.

From the Starbuck's web site: Banana Chocolate is made with a whole banana blended with our proprietary Protein & Fiber Powder, 2% milk (I changed this), mocha sauce and ice.

They also have an Orange Mango Banana Blend (I didn't try it)

Here's the nut info (with added espresso, no milk change)

Serving Size 16 fl. oz.
Amt Per Serving

Calories 260
Fat Calories 40
Total Fat 4.5 g.
Saturated Fat 2.5 g.
Trans Fat 0
Cholesterol 15 mg.
Sodium 160 mg.
Total Carbohydrates 42 g. (bananas will do this)
Fiber 5 g.
Sugars 26 g. (sugars are high - most natural from the milk/banana some not mocha sauce/protein)
Protein 20 g.
Vitamin A 10%
Vitamin C 15%
Calcium 20%
Iron 15%
Caffeine 90 mg.

If you are a dumper I'd watch it with this one. I've only dumped 3 times in 2 years so I didn't think that would be an issue. It wasn't.

Here's my Post WLS Starbuck's Survival Guide.

I have a recipe for a Mocha Freeze... toss a banana 1/2 in it and you'll have the same flavors with waaaay less calories and sugars.

I'll stick to my SF Cinnamon Dolce Soy Latte with no whippage and eat a cheese stick... way more protein and less carbs.

Sorry Starbuck's. I know you are struggling to find your place in this new economic picture. My advice: quit adding new crap to the menu. Knock a $1 off the price of all your drinks and your issues will be solved. Oh and play some better music than that hideous jazzy crap that makes us want to run for the hills.

Apparently my word of the day = crap. Which seems appropriate since if you are a dumper and drink this that's exactly what you may do.


Laura said...

Vivanno (choco/banana)...I LOVED it so much I have had it for breakfast every day this week (can you say expensive!!!) I substituted the 2% milk for non-fat and it makes my pouchy-poo very happy..I actually lost weight this week..not sure if it is the protein in this (cause I usually skimp in the breakfast department) or what...but this is a very dangerously delish drink in my eyes! Laura in CT

DCY said...

I agree the hideous jazzy crap in restaurants makes me nuts, gives me the jitters without even drinking coffee which I don't like anyway. Thanks for telling it like it is.

Maija said...

Have you always been a soy girl, Shelly? I'm nervous about switching over to soy because of consistency as well as taste.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Laura, It was tasty. I just like my espresso based drink better.


dcy: The music drives me insane.


maija: I was a Lactaid brand Milk girl before surgery (always had lactose issues) but after surgery I couldn't stomach it... so I switched to soy. I don't drink big glasses of it though. 4 oz. or so in shakes with water or splash in coffee or now in my protein ice cream. I love it.

Bauniculla said...

I justify my indulgence in the Banana/Choce shake becuase of the 20 grams of protein. I agree there are a lot of carbs, but I again JUSTIFY (lol) those as fructose and lactose, not just plain sugar-los. It is sugar that I would have consumed had I eaten a banana and drank milk anyway. I have not dumped on this little smoothie either. I do dump on the Sorbetto (HA HA ONLY IN LOS ANGELES!! and the Iced green tea lattes. Uh, hello, 62 grams of freeking sugar!?!? Yeah, I am going to dump on that. Oh, and I go through the drive thru. Yes, lazy bones. Wonder why I got fat....hmmmm. Anyhow, I avoid the obnoxious music that way. If hubby has to walk inside, I stay in the car!

Sorry for rambling....just found your blog and am super impressed!!! Great job on the WLS and thanks for the yummy ice cream recipes!!!! :0)