Saturday, March 1, 2008

Set it and forget it

It was 77 degrees here in Sunny Southern California. I spent most of the day outside working on the garden and cleaning. I put this together in the morning and the house smelled fabulous every time I came inside. 7 hours later dinner was done. Don't leave out the Marsala wine it's key.


Shelly's Crock Pot Short Ribs

6-8 Beef Short Ribs
1 Tablespoon Flour
1 Yellow Onion, sliced in rings
5 cloves of Garlic, sliced
1 Bell Pepper, chopped
1-14.5 oz. can Diced Tomatoes
6 Mushrooms, quartered
1/4 cup Marsala wine
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
Olive Oil
Butter

Dust short ribs with flour and brown on all sides in a pot with a touch of olive oil and butter. Place in Crock Pot. Saute onion and Pepper till golden. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Place on top of ribs. Add rest of ingredients and cook on low for 7 hours.

I served this on a bed of cabbage that I boiled then fried till golden. Sauteed fresh spinach or cannellini beans are also great with it.


Q: OK Michelle, I bought that Marsala wine you wanted me to get now what the hell do I do with the rest?

A: Store the bottle in the refrigerator it will last for months and cook these:

Shelly's Chicken Marsala
Shelly's Quick Version Chicken Marsala

Q: I heard Gastric Bypass patients get drunk quicker will I get drunk off of the booze in your recipe?

A: While it is true we tend to be cheap lushes post weight loss surgery I dare say you will not catch a buzz off of my Short Ribs or Chicken Marsala. If however you find yourself uttering the phrase, "I swear officer I just had some Chicken Marsala." I hearby disclaim responsibility. Seriously, it looks like only trace amounts of alcohol will remain after 7 hours of cooking.

3 comments:

Amie said...

OK, this is scary. I was just mentioning to my hubster I wanted some ribs last night, right before I fell asleep. I get up, fire up old Bessy (my 'putor) and what to you greet me with ? Ribs ! I'm off to get me some to cook up. It's a sign from heaven. I'll let you know how they go. Thanks for another great recipe. You have enhanced my RNY experience. Amie
Oh, and 77 degrees, is not fair ! We got to 61 and I wanted to put my bathing suit on.

Amie said...

I tried these and they turned out great. I doubled the recipe, I have young straping men to feed. Everyone enjoyed them, I thought they would wonder why they weren't BBQ, my usual way to fix ribs, but no one said anything about that. They just ate them up. I'm going to use this for chicken and beef roast, too. Thanks ! You are looking marvelous. Amie

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Made the ribs yesterday. Family was almost licking their plates clean! This one is a keeper.

Bonnie