Thursday, March 13, 2008

Linda Blair's favorite soup

I heart split pea soup despite the famous Exorcist scene. This is a super simple meal. I start everything in a stock pot and then dump the contents into the crock pot and leave it to do it's thing all day.


Shelly's Split Pea & Ham Soup (in the crock pot)

1 cup dried Split Peas (soaked overnight, drained)
1 1/2 cups diced Ham
2 stalks Celery, diced
1/2 cup Carrot, minced
1 quart Chicken Broth
1 large Onion, diced
3 Green Onions, diced
1 Leek, sliced (white and light green parts only)
1 Tablespoon fresh Parsley, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
a few twists of Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Butter
1 teaspoon Oil

Soak split peas in water overnight. Drain. Set aside. Saute onions, leeks, garlic in butter/oil till golden.


Add ham. Add peas, carrots and celery. Add broth, parsley and a few twists of pepper. Pour into a crock pot. Cook on low 7 hours. If you like a smoother soup you could blend it to the desired consistency. I used my groovy immersion blender and gave it a few whizzes right in the crock pot before serving.



I needed an easy & comforting meal yesterday. My beautiful honey colored kitty Prescott died last night (he was 18 years old) and I wanted to spend time with my Rose (his Mom) who was looking for him :( She's a bit better this morning but it will be an adjustment for us all not to have Pressy around.

It's been a cruddy week in the world of Eggface. Hopefully the clouds will lift for awhile and happier days are ahead.

Plastic surgery next week. Ugghh. Stomach flip.

5 comments:

kerrig said...

I'm so sorry about your fur baby! I have 4 so I know how you feel.

I have never had luck with split pea soup so I will be trying yours. Cross your fingers. Not the best cook in the world. But I can read. Ha ha

Amy said...

Awwww man...I'm so sorry Shelly. I am so sorry for you and Rose...I can imagine she's feeling very lost.

Sharon said...

Thanks for posting this recipe! I will have to give it a whirl. Sorry to hear about your cat. Good luck on your surgery next week. There will be better days ahead!

Amie said...

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty, I am a cat person myself and have had to say goodbye to a few, it is so hard. I know you and Rose are a comfort to one another. Snuggle and love on her.
I love split pea soup. This one looks like a winner.
God bless and take care, I will be thinking of you, the kitties, and your upcoming surgery. Amie

Anonymous said...

Poem For Cats

And God asked the feline spirit
Are you ready to come home?
Oh, yes, quite so, replied the precious soul
And, as a cat, you know I am most able
To decide anything for myself.

Are you coming then? asked God.
Soon, replied the whiskered angel
But I must come slowly
For my human friends are troubled
For you see, they need me, quite certainly.

But don't they understand? asked God
That you'll never leave them?
That your souls are intertwined. For all eternity?
That nothing is created or destroyed?
It just is....forever and ever and ever.

Eventually they will understand,
Replied the glorious cat
For I will whisper into their hearts
That I am always with them
I just am....forever and ever and ever.

Author Unknown

THINKING OF YOU, please take special care of yourself for all of us that care so much.
T from MI