Thursday, October 4, 2007

Watch out Pizza Hut, Look out Papa John

Here's the promised FP of the Tortilla Pizza creations I have made this week.


I made that Chicken Carbonara Tortilla Pizza. I mentioned I would try the other day. I used a Mission Brand Carb Balance Whole Wheat 6" Fajita Size Tortilla, leftover chicken (it was leftover Chicken Marsala), a little alfredo sauce, a slice of provolone, sauteed mushrooms and pancetta and a liberal snowfall of parmesan. Pancetta is Italian bacon but you could definitely substitute regular cooked crumbled bacon. This is a seriously yummy way to transform chicken leftovers.

I also made a very Traditional Tomato & Basil version topped with tomato sauce, provolone, sliced tomato, Italian seasoning and fresh basil.


The other night I topped one with sliced turkey meatballs, tomato sauce, mozzarella, parmesan, Italian seasoning and fresh basil.


and here's the original creations.

Directions: Place the tortilla on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Top with toppings. Bake at 375 degree oven for 8-10 minutes till the tortilla is crisp and the toppings are bubbly.

These Tortilla Pizzas are very family friendly. A little former teacher hint: children will eat anything thing they have a hand in preparing. I had kids eating all sorts of things they made in my class and Mom's saying, "OMG she would never eat that if I gave it to her." It really was just because they took part in the process. How fun it would be to have the kids help brainstorm and prep different toppings (using new vocabulary: dice, saute, grate), design their own creative masterpiece (tomato eyes, olive nose, red pepper lips) then slice them up for a fraction lesson.

16 comments:

Flying Sarah said...

Do you deliver in 30 minutes or less?

Michelle said...

Miami might be a stretch :) LOL

chrissynyc73 said...

WOW!!! you have such wonderful recipes ,and they are so easy. Thank you so much you have inspired me to get back on track and stop eating all those unnecessary carbs so I can lose my last 13Lbs.
Chrissy

Courtney *EllaBell* said...

So I made one of your tortilla pizza last night and it was TO DIE FOR. I put chicken, ricotta, lots of yummy cheese... OMG. I was in heaven. I have one in the oven now for dinner tonight... haha.. Thanks! :)

Michelle said...

Hey Courtney, I'm so glad you enjoyed it!!! They are addictive.

Michelle said...

Thanks Chrissy :)

Cookie Googleman said...

I make a lot of similar Low Carb Tortilla pizzas...I like to toast the tortilla for a few seconds with a brush of olive oil and some garlic salt...just place it in the toaster oven for a quick minute to crisp it up...then top it with whatever I have that day...usually fresh mozzarella, tomato and marinated garlic cloves.

AprilMayJune said...

I am so excited to see you making pizza. I used to eat pizza at least once a week before surgery. I am only six weeks out so I have a while before I can eat a tortilla. But when I can, I will be ready!!
Thanks

Angela said...

I have to say this is such a treat and my entire family loves these. We found some low carb flat breads at Costco that we use. My almost 18 year old makes little pizzas for him and his girlfriend all the time. I love this because it is a health snack and so easy to make!

Thank you for the recipe

terri said...

PIZZA..!!!!! YOU ROCK!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
I am working on week 7 post op. I am dying to try some of your pizza recipes. Am I to soon?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

You know every Dr has a different plan. I was clearned for everything as tolerated at 8 weeks. Uncooked tortillas I would say wait but these are pretty crispy and shouldn't wad at all. If you are cleared take it slow. All foods are pretty trial and error in the beginning. Hope you enjoy it!

Gina0922 said...

Hi! I have been making pizza with the WW Flat Out Bread for quite a while now. I had not tried using tortillas until today. I have to say that they were very good. I used a thin spread layer of basil pesto on the tortilla, then a layer of crumbled Italian Turkey Sausage I made. Added some diced onion and topped with feta and sliced provolone. Mmmmmm! So delish! I love finding new recipes...can't wait to try more.

Gina

Shauna said...

You are such a life saver!! I've been craving pizza for four months now and I finally have an alternative thanks to you! I even made my own variation this morning. Before my surgery, my almost daily breakfast was a slice of breakfast pizza - so today - I had one! I used the tortilla, brushed it with some olive oil and garlic. Then I added 1 scrambled egg, 2 slices of crumbled turkey bacon, some crumbled turkey sausage, and some shredded cheddar - it was just as good as the version I was accustomed to!

Again - thank you!

tim said...

You are the Bomb I love your recipes the ones I have had my wife even loves them it is helping her to get on track also I have lost all of my weight 201lbs since surgery but I want to make sure I dont go back the other way and this is really helping thanks Tim

anniecooki said...

Your recipes, and your story, are completely amazing! I love following you on twitter, and your eggface blog!!!!