Thursday, August 2, 2012

Lotsa Love for Leftovers 7

Post weight loss surgery when you eat out in a restaurant it's a given there will be a lot of leftovers or waste. I hate wasting food. Sometimes I have no choice if I'm headed to a movie or I'm too far from home but if I'm heading home right after a meal you better be sure the leftovers are coming home. Those leftovers can be "repurposed" and transformed into a bunch of great meals.

Repurposing: Transforming leftovers into something equally as yummy. The goal is for them to taste & look so completely different you don't realize you are having leftovers.

Spotted a $10 off Red Lobster coupon online so instead of standing in front of a hot stove or heating up the already hot house by turning on the oven, off we went to dinner. My order was the Build Your Own Meal. I chose Shrimp Scampi and Crab Legs and I asked for Sliced Tomatoes as my side dish. They are not on the menu but if you ask they will do this. The meal comes with a Garden Salad (I ask for no croutons and dressing on the side.) I know my capacity pretty well now so I remove and box 1/2 my dinner right away. I ask for a box when I order, they look at you weird but I just say, "I'm not terribly hungry and I know I will need a box so can you just bring it with the food."

I ate my salad, most of the crab legs and a couple of shrimp.

This is what came home...


These leftover shrimp, a little crab, and sliced tomatoes became this AWESOME repurposed bento box lunch the next day.


Pink Box (top left): Shelly's Leftover Shrimp and Crab Salad
Green Box (top right): Sliced Strawberries
Blue Box (bottom left): Cheese stick
Orange Box (bottom right): Pistachios


Shelly's Leftover Shrimp and Crab Salad

1 cup or so Cooked Shrimp Scampi and/or Crab Leftovers
1 Tomato, chopped
1/2 Cucumber, chopped
2 Tablespoons Greek Yogurt
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
1/2 teaspoon Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper

Mix together all ingredients. Serve as is, on top of a green salad, or as a lettuce wrap. Made plenty for 2 delicious bento box lunches.

More ideas for repurposing restaurant leftovers

Lotsa Love for Leftovers 1
Lotsa Love for Leftovers 2
Lotsa Love for Leftovers 3
Lotsa Love for Leftovers 4
Lotsa Love for Leftovers 5
Lotsa Love for Leftovers 6


More Strategies for Eating Out After Weight Loss Surgery

post signature

4 comments:

Trish said...

That looks totally delish!!!

ramona said...

I made this today and wrapped it in a lettuce leaf. It was totally awesome. Going to store tomorrow so I can make again for the weekend. Thanks so much for all you do.

Robyn (ladybug76135) said...

My husband and I go to Panda Express and he orders a 3 item plate. He gets the side item and 2choices and I get 1 choice. I nearly always get their string bean chicken (green beans, chicken breast and onions). I eat this and a few of the veggies from his entree. My meal costs $1.25 (the difference in a 2 item and 3 item plate)!

Dixie said...

This looks SO AWESOME! And...I just have to share....I got my "Laptop Lunch Bento Box" this morning in the mail! Can't wait to start using it. YOU are such an inspiration. Thanks for ALL you do and ALL your recipes! Love ya! Dixie