Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A day in my pouch

Yesterday in post weight loss surgery eating...

Breakfast: Well I woke up to a busted water heater. We thankfully caught it before too much damage was done, water was confined to the garage but uggggh grrrr #&$%ity, #&$% #&$% #&$%! I spent a good part of the morning making phone calls and then waiting for call backs so I had time to make a batch of my Pancake Bites.

I couldn't make up my mind what kind I wanted the original sausage, the bacon, or the fruity version. So I made all three. Sausage are my favorites. I love that sausage & maple combo. My Mum loves the blueberry ones.

Shelly's Pancake Bites

1/2 cup Multigrain Pancake Mix, dry
1/3 cup Soy Milk (any milk would do)
1/4 cup Torani Sugar Free Caramel Syrup
Assorted Toppings: Cooked Sausage, Crumbled Cooked Bacon, Fruit (I used frozen blueberries but banana slices or apples are yum too)

Mix pancake mix, milk, syrup together till thoroughly combined. Pour batter into a non-stick 12 cup mini muffin tin that has been sprayed with Pam. Fill about 3/4 way up.

Top each muffin with sausage, bacon or fruit. Make all one flavor or a combo. If you set the ingredients out family members and whippersnappers can make their own... banana blueberry bacon surprise.

Bake at 350 for 12-14 minutes or until golden. Serve with warmed Sugar Free Maple Syrup.

Lunch: One of my easy go-to favs: Shrimp and Cocktail Sauce.

Dinner: Monday night, in honor of Chinese New Year I made meatloaf. I know what you are thinking meatloaf?! Ummm Eggy that's not very Chinese. Seriously this was yummy, a few Asian flavors transformed this classic American diner food into a delicious dinner fit for an emperor. Leftovers reheated were just as yummy. I served them on Monday with a green salad and the leftovers I served with sauteed onions (like the ones I make for my Faux Spaghetti & Meatballs.)

Shelly's Chinese New Year Meatloaf

6 Large Mushrooms, diced
1/2 cup (1/2 of a small can) Water Chestnuts, chopped (found in the Asian food aisle)
3/4 pound Ground Beef
1/2 pound Ground Pork
1/4 cup Oatmeal, uncooked
1/4 cup Milk
1 Egg, beaten
4 Green Onions, diced
1/2 teaspoon Garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Ginger, grated
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon Sherry
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
Butter/Oil for sauteing

Saute mushrooms till golden. Add water chestnuts. Cook 1 minute more. Set aside to cool. Soak oatmeal in milk for 1 minute. Beat egg. Add egg and soaked oats to ground beef and pork. Add cooled veggies and all remaining ingredients. Mix till combined.

Divide into 8 equal mounds. Form into mini meatloaves or if you have this super groovy pan like me use it (spray with Pam.) Bake for 45 minutes total in a 350 oven. At the 30 minute mark you can glaze the meatloaf with my optional Year of the Dragon Glaze then return to oven to finish cooking.

Shelly's Year of the Dragon Glaze

2 Tablespoons Ketchup
2 Tablespoon Sweet Chili Sauce

Mix together and brush on meatloaves. Continue cooking for final 15 minutes. I use regular ketchup and chili sauce (found in the Asian food aisle, sometimes called Thai Sweet Chili Sauce) they do make low sugar or no sugar ketchup but I just use the real deal. If you dump easily skip this but divided over 8 mini-loaves it's really not that much sugar.

Snacks: Too much coffee and at some point I logged on to twitter and found out it was National Peanut Butter Day so I made a batch of Peanut Butter Swirl Protein Ice Cream. I ate it while I watched Tori & Dean Home Sweet Hollywood (I'm a sucker for reality TV) over the sound of the monstrous dehumidifier unit doing it's thing all night in my garage. Tomorrow a new water heater goes in, in a temporary location while we sort out the drywall damaged area. $$$.

Shelly's Peanut Butter Swirl Protein Ice Cream

1 cup Vanilla Soy Milk (or Regular Milk)
2 scoops Vanilla Protein Powder
2 Tablespoons Torani Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup
1/4 cup Powdered Peanut Butter (AKA PB2, Peanut Flour, Defatted Peanut Butter)

Mix together milk, protein, syrup, powdered peanut butter. I used this gadget to mix it up. It makes it airy and lump free. If you don't have one of those just whiz it on super turbo high in the blender, you want airy. Pour into ice cream maker. Follow your machine's instructions for freezing.

You can eat it right away it is soft serve-ish but I like to put it in the freezer to set for an hour or so to get scoopable. If you leave it longer and it gets too hard just nuke ice cream 25 seconds to soften again. Optional: I took 2 Tablespoons of regular Peanut Butter, nuked 30 seconds, then drizzled it on the soft serve before I put it in the freezer. So each scoop gets a little swirl of peanut butter in it.

Other Eggface Protein Ice Cream flavors
Protein Ice Cream 101

Well, it wasn't a great day in my world but I sure did eat well.

More "A day in my pouch" posts

post signature

49 comments:

T2Nashville said...

I think these meatloaf ingredients are a lot like the chicken lettuce wraps at PF Chang's, but with beef. Great idea! I do your mini meatloaves a lot - so convenient and portion-controlled. So sorry about the water heater, Shelly. Sigh...

Ally said...

Sorry to hear about the water heater, mine exploded about 3 years ago and made a horrendous mess (thankfully outside on the balcony and not in my apt). Hopefully yours won't take long to get fixed, cold showers are no fun. I made your pancake bites this morning as well, some sausage and some bacon. I've decided that the bacon ones taste like the BE&C Mcgriddles and the sausage ones like S&E biscuits at McD's. Totally satisfies that breakfast craving.
~Ally

FitBy40 said...

I think I can make that ice cream in my Vita mix machine if I add a bunch of ice cubes. I'm going to try that tonight for dessert for the kiddos!

Anonymous said...

I made your pancake bites in my cake pop pan. Oh so much fun! I dont have any little kids around, but if I did, they would have totally dug these suckers! I made them with banana. they came out in the most perfect balls - fun for dipping. As always, thanks for the recipes!

Fawn

Nica said...

PERFECT!!! I made your pancake bites, it makes 6 in my muffin tin (only one i have) and I took 2 with me for breakfast this morning before class. YUMMO!!!!!!!!! I made one with crumbled bacon (Costco) and one with Blueberries. Took one of each and satisfied me quite well.

Also sorry to hear about your water heater, good thing now is they last 10 years before they blow again. Our cat told us about the flood in the basement with our last water heater. He started scratching relentlessly at the basement door, my husband thought he just wanted to go down into the basement and it's when he noticed all the water on the floor. Smart kitty! Hope yours is all fixed.

Thank you again for the recipes. i'm going to make the meat loaf this weekend!

Maria

DanielsChicky said...

I am new to WLS, just having surgery on Jan 9, 2012. I decided to bring in the new year with a bang! Anywho, I have just discovered your site, and have a question. How do I know what a serving size is for something like your pancake bites? I have been told by my surgeon I am not eating enough.

Thanks, Shelly! I look forward to searching your site!!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thanks everyone. What a week! Getting back to normal slowly.

Hope you all enjoy the pancake bites!

***

DanielsChicky, Portions will depend on your Dr's plan and how far out you are. I eat 2 or 3 usually (5+ years out) dipped in SF Maple Syrup.

jensing199 said...

Made the pancake bites yesterday for breakfast this morning! Yummy! Except I put too many blueberries & they ended up really soggy. Still good, though!! I think maybe my eyes are too big b/c I ate 4 no problem & i'm just shy of a year out!

Coach Carissa said...

I have a question...I must be doing something wrong with my pancake bites, because all of my "muffin tin" creations seem to deflate after I take them out of the oven. Am I the only one this happens to and any ideas what on earth I may be doing wrong??

Michelle "Shelly" said...

I'm guessing bad leavening agent in your pancake mix... maybe. Try adding a dash of baking powder to the mix maybe or a new bag/box.

Jennifer said...

Would love to win.

Anonymous said...

I want to win. Thanks for all the good recipes.
sfmoore45@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Just found your site thru a friend. I am excited to try your recipes. Thanks for your blog.

Theresa Kelly Bryon
freedom93612@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

I have wanted to try click and this would be the perfect chance. Nicole Wathill09@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

hi! Congrats and good job on your success and a nice blog! Can you tell me exactly what kind of vanilla protein powder you use and where you get it? I'd love to make your ice cream but don't want to spend for something not tried-and-true good!
Thank you so much

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thank you :)

In this recipe I used SEI Nutrition's Max Protein Vanilla (they have a facebook page for more info)

Libbe said...

I made some pancake bites this morning with pepperoni (what I had on hand) and added 2 scoops of beneprotein unflavored protein - turned out great! Might try 3 scoops next time - would love to get more protein in these as they really hit the spot!!!

Anonymous said...

Can you freeze the muffin bites? Do you think if would be best to par-bake them then freeze or just cook all the way, freee, then take out and microwave? Always looking for fast breakfasts for my children. Thanks!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

You could freeze (or fridge for 2-3 days is what I tend to do) the cooked muffin but I think they lose a little in texture. I'd suggest mixing up the batter the night before... they cook for 12-14 minutes that morning. Hardly any cleanup.

Connie said...

Shelly,
re: Shelly's Pancake Bites--love the idea! I make toast, bacon and eggs in a muffin tin and bake also! I have one question though. Are you using instant pancake mix (the kind you just add water to) but, using milk instead of water?? I assume so, as any other dry pancake mix that I know of, calls for eggs also, and you're not using any. If not instant, could I use them and expect the same outcome? If ok to use, should I use milk or water with instant even though the box says to use water? Thanks...Waiting patiently for response, since instant is the only kind on hand right now... :-)

Connie

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Connie, Just saw this: http://www.amazon.com/Arrowhead-Mills-Pancake-Multigrain-Pound/dp/B000LKYMDU is what I use.

Arrowhead Mills Multigrain Pancake Mix it's pretty low in carbs and the best tasting I have found thus far.

Hope this helps :)

Teresa Christopher said...

Shelly, what about making these with a scratch pancake batter? I have a buttermilk pancake recipe that I always use. Also, have you ever used Maple Syrup in the batter?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Sure. I like the carb content and flavor on the arrowhead one.

bricksgirl said...

I just made your pancake bites...mtg family loves them! Thank you So much for making breakfast easier!

Anonymous said...

On your pancake bites. . .can you use regular pancake mix or just the multigrain? Also, on the Torani Caramel Syrup - is this easy to find in stores?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

bricksgirl, So glad you enjoyed them!!

***

Yes, you can use regular mix but that isn't in my post WLS plan. SF Caramel Syrup is found in most supermarkets in the coffee aisle (or Walmart, Beverages and More, Smart & Final or online link on the left hand side of the blog home page)

Dawn Strandberg said...

this is a great Blog!! thanks. i had surgery two years ago and i sometimes stuggle to find new things to make that the family will enjoy too :) god bless

ij said...

I only have vanilla sugar free syrup. Would it still come out good.?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Any syrup flavor would be fine :)

Ang Meltingmoments said...

Just made my own version of the pancake bites. Thanks for the inspiration. Found you through Pinterest.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting that you use soy milk. Many people use this because it is healthy. I, unfortunately, do because of my lactose intolerance. I love your mini pancake idea! I will have to try them. Pancakes are 1 out of 2 things that I can cook. (The other being pasta.)

linner said...

hi shelly,

another pancake-muffin question: i want to use a mix (bob's red mill gluten-free pancake mix) and the normal instructions include egg and a little oil. should i prepare the recipe as directed, or can i just use milk and syrup like in your recipe? i apologize if you've already answered this somewhere above...i scrolled through briefly but didn't see anything...

thanks very much,
linner

Michelle "Shelly" said...

I've not used that product before but I would just use it to replace the mix I use. I'd have to compare ingredients on the back to give you a better answer... as long as it has some sort of leavening agent in the mix it should be OK.

Anonymous said...

Do u have to cook the sausage and bacon first?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Yes cooked.

Anonymous said...

The pancake bites were a win with my toddlers! Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

Made these and they were great and so much easier than using the griddle! Is it ok to pin this to Pinterest?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Absolutely Pinterest love/links are awesome. Thanks!

iamthezookeeper said...

linner...i think you can use flaxseed as an egg substitute. for an oil replacer, maybe a fruit puree? just thinking what i would probably do. not a WLS patient but will be if i don't get this under control soon. long story. time to get back to healthy. love the recipes and portion control on this blog!

Katrina said...

Have you tried freezing these? I'd be making ones with bacon & maybe some Choc chip ones & I am near my due date of my first child and am looking for easy stuff that can be frozen?!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Katrina, Yes they freeze well :) Congrats on your new addition!!

Sara said...

Those pancake bites look like a lot of fun! :)

Anonymous said...

My son's 11th birthday is tomorrow and he wants pancakes. I'm going to do the bites but with a little twist. I was in Vegas last month and had pancakes with bananas, peanut butter, bacon, & maple syrup all mixed in. So... I'm going to add the banana and bacon in the baking along with syrup, & melt some old fashioned peanut butter in syrup for dipping the bites & apple slices alongside. My 7yr old really wants to make eggs for his big brother so that will most likely be on the plate as well. We're excited. Thanks for the idea... gotta love Pinterest

Amy in Texas

Anonymous said...

Just made these tasty little bites:) Used homemade "bisquick", 2% milk and Torrinos sugar free strawberry syrup. Filled 14 of an 18 holed mini muffin pan. Topped with chopped banana and few blackberries from freezer and baked for about 12 minutes (checking last 2 min). Will make these adorable pancake poppers again!! Endless varieties possible.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for recipe idea..one quick ?....how about using Traders Joe's multigrain pancake mix? I am a weight watcher...I think all ingredientes are allowed. Thanks again.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

I've not tried TJ's mix in this... I'll have to get some and give it a try. I love the taste and stats of the Arrowhead Mills one.

Anonymous said...

Suggestions for subbing out the sugar free syrup?? Watered down normal syrup??

Michelle "Shelly" said...

You can try... not sure. I think I'd just wait till I could get my hands on the right stuff.

payne12 said...

We are trying the pancake bites right now, with diced apple and pear and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top.