Monday, March 14, 2011

Bento Weekend

It was a beautiful weekend here, sunny 70's and I spent most of it outside. It's hard to imagine just on the other side of the world there is so much devastation caused by the massive 8.9/9.0 magnitude earthquake and tsunami. I was getting obsessive watching coverage and getting so sad I needed to break away from it. Twice I walked over to the park near my house, fed the ducks and last night with the time change I brought my super cool bento box on the patio and enjoyed the longer daylight hours, said a few prayers on the stars for our Japanese friends.

In tragedies like this I would love to be a doctor or search & rescue worker and fly over and help but since I'm neither I did the only thing someone sitting at home thousands of miles away can do I text REDCROSS to 90999 to give $10 (goes on your cell bill.) I encourage you to do it. It's an easy way we can help. We all spent more on a pre weight loss surgery trip through the drive-thru.

"If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one." ~Mother Teresa

I love that quote, helps me feel less helpless.

Well here's some of the yummy stuff from this weekend...

Bento #1:

Pink Box (top left): Shelly's Lemon Poppy Seed Mini Protein Muffins
Green Box (top right): Tomato, Mozzarella Cheesestick, Pesto Salad
Blue Box (bottom left): Naked Chicken Nuggets with Greek Yogurt & Salsa for dipping (in little blue container)
Orange Box (bottom right): Shelly's Peanut Butter and Jelly Trail Mix (Peanuts, fruit juice sweetened Cranberries, Raisins)

Shelly's Lemon Poppy Seed Mini Protein Muffins

1 Egg, beaten
3 Tablespoons Milk
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Vanilla Torani Syrup (or Sugar Free Lemon)
1 Tablespoons Canola Oil
3 Tablespoons Multigrain Pancake Mix
2 Tablespoons Almond Meal
1 teaspoon Poppy Seeds
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Jello Lemon Pudding Mix, dry
1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
Pinch salt

In a measuring cup mix egg, milk, syrup, and oil and combine thoroughly. In a separate bowl, mix pancake mix, almond meal, pudding mix, poppy seeds, protein powder and salt. Tip dry into wet and stir till combined.

Pour into a non stick mini muffin pan that has been sprayed with Pam.

Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes, until knife inserted comes out clean. Makes 12.

Bento #2:

Pink Box (top left): Leftover Salmon Salad (Lettuce, Cucumber, Salmon)
Green Box (top right): Green Grapes
Blue Box (bottom left): Just the Cheese Crunchy Cheese - Grilled Cheese flavor
Orange Box (bottom right): Shelly's Pesto Yogurt Dipping Sauce (in little blue container)

Bento #3:

Pink Box (top left): Shelly's Lemon Poppy Seed Mini Protein Muffins
Orange Box (top right): Cucumber and Baby Carrots
Blue Box (bottom left): Hardboiled Egg
Green Box (bottom right): Salt & Pepper Packets for Egg & Shelly's Pesto Yogurt Dipping Sauce (in little blue container)

post signature

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE lemon poppy seed muffins! I can't wait to try this recipe. I ordered Max protein this weekend too, I'm tired of trying to tolerate the monkey's ass proteins. I hope this one works for me. Do you know if they stopped making the chocolate chip mint flavor? I wrote them to ask a couple of weeks ago but never got an answer. Thanks for all your yummy recipes!

-Jen

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hi Jen, Hope you love these! Yep Max discontinued Chocolate Mint... I understand they may have a few tubs in stock still so call the 1-800 # and see if you can grab one.

leendadll said...

glad you added the comment about the $$ going on your phone bill because I always think about a post I read where some girl "donated $2,000" without realizing SHE was paying for it.

glad you got a break from the news coverage. i'm still totally obsessed. as a result, i did very little this weekend.

Becky said...

As always I love everything you show us!! I was wondering; Are you able to eat everything that you pack in your bentos?? :)

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Leendadll, I heard about that. Eeek. Well... it could have been ring tones I guess :)

***

Becky, Sometimes. Depends. Mostly it's 1 meal and a snack just in case I'm out longer than anticipated. Sometimes I throw in an extra muffin so I can share. For example: on the top bento pictured I ate all but 1 muffin (shared) and some of the trail mix was eaten later.

Portion sizes should be determined by your medical posse based on the stage you are in.

Aelyese said...

Shelly...
I couldn't wait for the muffins till morning so I made them in about 20 minutes at 10:30p. They turned out beautifully and I had one for a little snack before bedtime and WOW...these are amazing. Everything I love. I cannot wait to have them with my Click in the morning. Thank you for inspiring me to keep going. I have been stuck here for a while and I think your words are a good shot in the arm! Blessings to you!!! Aelyese

Anonymous said...

Shelly,

Thanks for the tip. I did call SEI to ask about the chocolate chip mint but I was told they are all out now. Oh well. I tried!

-Jen

waningwoman.blogspot.com said...

You are a wealth of knowledge and I just love coming by to check out your fantastic bento boxes. You've inspired me to FINALLY go out and get one.

Stephanie91883 said...

This is totally off topic but I was craving some sweet this evening, and had some beautiful strawberries so I made your strawberry Canolis (grew up living off of canolis in an italian family).

THESE ARE FANTASTIC! :-)
Thanks for the wonderful, and incredibly simple recipe.

MT said...

Hi, Do you freeze any of these items that you make? It would take forever to get through 12 of these for me, right now. Just wondering how the freezing goes for you.
Thanks for all your work and congrats on being so successful.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

The muffins freeze great, plastic wrap them and put in a freezer Ziploc. Then just pull a couple into the fridge to defrost when you need them or take them in your purse and in a few hours they will be soft again.

Jaana said...

Hello! Sounds great! I'd love to be apart of your drawing for click! I'm also following you on FB. :)
-Jaana
zoeyfae@live.com

Anonymous said...

Hi I would love to be a part of your drawing!

Shannon Bernier
Brigal2000@hotmail.com

Ebony said...

I am almost 4 weeks post op and the world according to eggface has helped more than you will ever know.

I am your friend on FB already and will add CLICK soon. I will also add you on twitter. I tell everyone about your site! It's wonderful.

I am enjoying being a looser (with WLS) but it would be cool to be a winner too!

Thank you!

E.J
pvnewbee@yahoo.com