Friday, August 6, 2010

A day in my pouch

It's been an EXPENSIVE few days. $850 in plumbing repairs has really put a damper on my week, month, grrr few months. I live in an older (well for my area) home and the 20 year old fixtures all decided to go at the same time. So new toilets, new faucets, new shower knobs, all equal a very sad Eggface. Whatcha gonna do?

While the workman did their thing I was without water for most of the day. I really could cook much. This is what I ended up filling my premium pouch space up with...

Breakfast: Mixed myself up a Key Lime Pie Protein Shake while waiting for the guys to show up. You know between 8 AM and whenever we flippin' feel like it ;) This shake is delicious and sipping it while sitting in the sunshine on the patio made the waiting more bearable... almost.

Shelly's Key Lime Pie Protein Shake

8 oz. Vanilla Soy Milk (you can use ANY milk or milk/water combo. I'm a soy girl)
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I use SF Vanilla)
1 teaspoon Sugar Free Lime Jello Powder, dry
1 scoop SEI Max Vanilla Protein Powder
3-4 Ice Cubes

Add liquid, ice, then powders and blend on high. Top with an optional squirt of Sugar Free Land of Lakes Whipped Cream.

Other Eggface Favorite Protein Shakes and Smoothies

Lunch: Rotisserie Chicken dipped in a Greek Yogurt Dip.

I dip all meats. It helps keep things sliding in the right direction and adds a little extra protein to your meal. This dip is delicious I make a thinner version (add a little more mayo) for a yummy Pimento Chicken Salad another great summer lunch.

Shelly's Pimento Yogurt Dip

3 oz. Fage Greek Yogurt
1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise
2 oz. jar Pimientos, drained
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper

Mix in a mini food processor till smooth.

Dinner: My Bacon Wrapped Apricot-Ginger Shrimp Skewers and another one of those Roasted Veggie Caprese Salads I made the other day. Soooo good. Farmer's Market veggies and homegrown tomatoes. Heaven. I have a couple of leftover shrimp and I'm thinking those will become a Tortilla Pizza for lunch today.

Snacks: A couple of those yummy Mini Coffee Protein Donuts and oodles of Coffee.

I spotted a little leak under the sink this AM so guess what I'll be doing today?! Waiting for the plumbers again... great.


Allan said...

You are an amazing example and a great help to get creative on this plan... Thanks

leendadll said...

do you have a blender recommendation? I just picked up my pre-surgery diet shakes and people told me to get a good blender.

also found out i have gallstones and was scheduled for surgery in Jan.

liver biopsy will be done during lap band surgery (Aug 26). i'm not expecting good news from that part.

FREAKING OUT. But, really, this was about a blender.

Glad you were able to get your home worked on and still eat well!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thanks Allan


@Leendadll I hope all is easily resolved and you are feeling 150% soon.

I had an Oster Beehive blender like this one:

for years and years... 20+ but it finally went so I treated myself to a Vitamix. I highly recommend either of them.

Lisa said...

You ROCK! Your food today was incredible. I am pre-op and begin my all liquid fast on Monday. I have my surgery on Aug. 16th! I'm looking forward to trying your recipes as soon as I am back on regular food. You are an inspiration to all people changing their life with gastric bypass!

Sra. Ridgeway said...

I would like to add my voice to the many people out there that are thankful daily for your blog and your work. Truly amazing and inspiring.

I did have a question though. I am pre-op and currently cook for myself, husband, and 1yr old daughter. I struggle to buy small enough quantities to feed my family as it is, and I worry about how much worse it is going to get post-op. Renting an aparment= teeny tiny freezer. So, to get to the question part: what do you do with all your leftovers? Do you have specific places/ shopping methods that help you purchase in small enough quantities for your pouch? It seems like you eat a lot of variety but maybe you are using a lot of the same core ingredients? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Fredda said...

ohhh Shelly...the pimento dip sounds yummy! I wonder how a jalapeno dip would be?!?!? I might have to try that!
So sorry to hear about the plumbing repairs though. That's never fun!

Chelsea's Mom said...

My house and all the appliances are about 20 years old too. I get scared everytime I hear a squeak or a moan out of one of them. If the others hear, they will ALL go out together!! I hope you plumber was cute anyway - last time I had to call one, he was gorgeous!! Made me want to break something just to get another visit (but I restrained myself). Oh and regarding the food - the shrimp looks soooooooo nummy!!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thanks guys. Hope you enjoy it.

Plumber was OK... he needs to come back AGAIN... the faucet is still leaking some orangish goo under the sink. I am so done. Thinking of moving into an RV LOL and wandering the US like a nomad.

@Sra You do tend to have leftovers post-op it takes some getting used to and lots of planning to not get overwhelmed with them or waste (which I hate) I tend to "repurpose" leftovers into other meals. Here's on idea of how I do it:

Hope it gives you a few ideas.

kathy said...

girlfriend,,learned everything i know about fixing things around the house by flirting with the repair men...even went on a few dates... just thought I would let you in on a secret..Kathy

battynurse said...

The whole things breaking is what I seriously don't miss about home ownership.
The shake looks yummy. I think I may need to try some dips of sorts because it just seems like so much either doesn't agree with me or just doesn't taste as good as I had expected it to.

Sandi said...

I can so identify with the plumbing thing, we have been remodeling the kitchen....since January...Gerrrrr...Hey..I need your help...Im 8 months post-op and Doing FANTASTIC! here's my that I can eat more (which I dont really want to do) do you recommend continuing to measure food? It may sound no- brainer, but I find that I sometime overeat and it feels uncomfortable..(which is a blessing). Its only after the fact that say to myself "dont do that again, measure first." Do you still measure stuff? if not...When did you stop?
And do you have a ball park size per meal? Ive read the blog for over a year EVERYDAY and really appreciate your pictures. But lets say...salad size??do you have a 1 cup thing going on in your head??? I know we are all different...I see this as my next challenge, any help would be appreciated.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Sandi, It's horrible... I am so done with it but grrr I'm not more next week. Good Luck to both of us.

I eyeball most things but I use the same size scoop each day. My body tells me for the most part when enough is enough (thankfully) I am not a member of the clean your plate club and tend to leave stuff or repurpose it... portion size for me really depends on what it is... pure protein like chicken 1 breast (maybe, not always, with yogurt dip), a burger I could do 1/2 (no bun, a few veggies), Bites I do 2 or 3 with a scoop of salad or veggie. It really depends on the food.

Anonymous said...

I just found your website today... Had to try "Shelly's Healthier Hot Chicken Salad Casserole".
Totally LOvE, lOVe, LovE this Casserole. Thanks Kathy