Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Stick it

I am currently addicted to these chicken skewers. Sometimes I get on a kick where I can't get enough of one thing. Right now it's these. Hence no "day in my pouch" entry lately because it would have been 3 pictures in a row of these suckers. Seriously.

I guess there are worse things to be stuck on... chicken does have oodles of protein: chicken breast, 3.5 oz - 30 g protein, so it's not only a weight loss surgery friendly meal (can't go wrong with meat on a stick) but chicken is a pretty pocketbook friendly $ meal too (always a good thing) and it's super simple to make.

Shelly's Thai Chicken Skewers

7 Chicken Breast Tenders, defrosted
1 Tablespoon Curry Paste (I use this)
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce

Place the chicken in a gallon Ziploc bag with the curry paste (the one I use is a delicious mild, curry flavor but no heat) & soy sauce.

Close bag tightly. Massage till marinade has thoroughly coated the chicken pieces. Place in fridge and allow to marinate 1 hour.

Thread onto skewers.

BBQ for 10-12 minutes or so till chicken is done.

Serve with a dollop of Shelly's Cool Yogurt Dip

3 oz. Fage Greek Yogurt (I use 2%, plain)
1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon Garlic, minced
Kosher Salt to taste

Mix together till well combined.

I love to serve these with a side of Madras Lentils which have a mild spice, not hot hot just nice mouth glow heat. They go perfectly with the cool yogurt sauce and makes a perfect dipping combo for the skewers. I get them at Costco. Here's an online source. They heat up in the microwave in 90 seconds.

These are also great for parties, prepped ahead, BBQ'd quickly, portable & fun.

Why is it food always tastes better on a stick?

Shelly's Antipasto Skewers
Shelly's Scampi Skewers
Shelly's Caprese Skewers
Shelly's Orange Pineapple Mini Meatball Skewers
Shelly's Bacon Wrapped Apricot-Ginger Shrimp Skewers
Shelly's Pesto Garlic Shrimp Skewers
Shelly's Greek Chicken Kabobs
Shelly's Sausage & Pepper Skewers


Randi said...

Those look delicious! Do you think they'd do okay on a George Foreman grill? We live in an upper-level apartment so no room for a real grill. :(

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thanks Randi, I haven't tried them but I would think so. I have a GF grill next time I am on a kick I will try 'em that way.

battynurse said...

Those do look good. I've only had curry once or twice before but I liked it ok then. More stuff to try in a month or two.

Anonymous said...

I'm three months post-op and took my son to our favorite Thai restaurant a few weeks ago. I ordered the chicken satay appetizer, which I love. I only managed to eat one before I was so full I couldn't eat another bite.

I'm having a hard time getting in enough protein since I get full so fast. Also, even though I make smoothies with a protein powder that doesn't taste like monkey's behind, I seem to never finish the whole thing. Suggestions?

Anonymous said...

Michelle, Where do you find the Masaman curry paste? Thanks, Lynda

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Battynurse: Hope it's worth the wait :)

On getting in more protein... here's some of my go tos and I love my shakes thankfully so here's a link to that as well:


My favorite protein:


Lynda: I picked it up at my local Asian market - Seafood 88 in Temecula, CA I put a link in the recipe for an online source if you can't locate it locally.

mystkmac said...

Hi Shelley! So, hubby and I are planning a trip to your town May 21 thru 24th! :) Is there a restaurant you could recommend for us? We were meeting friends at Ponte Vineyard's restaurant, but that fell through, and thank goodness cuz I didn't see *anything* on the menu for me! We like seafood and hubby is a big steak man. We are going to see those bull riders (PBR) at Pala! Can't wait! Please email me if you can....mystkmac@aol.com
Thanks again!

Mama Bear said...

Michelle, love all your recipes, but would really love to see them set up in a user friendly way. Wading through all of them takes alot of time. Categories like casseroles, pancakes, meats, vegetables, etc. would be great. Also a list of all the shops you purchase your food items from and all those fancy gadgets you use and where you purchased them from. I know, I know I am asking for alot. Its just you are such a talented cook and spending more time fixing your fabulous recipes would be better than searching through so many to find what your looking for. You need to start a website or as I have heard someone else mention a cookbook with all this info. Love ya and your recipes. Thanks for all your hard work in helping us with our continued weight loss!

Michelle B said...

me=in love with this recipe... I think these might taste like the skewers at this Thai restaurant I had a couple weeks back. Heaven.

Jana said...

I made these for dinner last night, because they tasted so good. Although I only had breasts and curry powder, so I improvised a little bit. They were a HUGE hit at my house, and I'm going to have one for lunch here shortly. Thank you for the recipe!

Jody @ Laslink said...

Oh my gosh! I just made these this evening on my George Foreman & although I'm sure they weren't as awesome as they would of been off a real outdoor BBQ they were still amazing!!! I'm in heaven & had some corn on the cob for a side. I think I have a new addiction too, thanks so much for sharing! :o)

Nikki said...

Yummo! This is a different, but refreshing, spin on the thai chicken I do. I marinate chix breast tenderloins in soy sauce, lime juice, red pepper flakes, and ginger. Then I skewer and grill and use a sauce made up of PB2, greek yogurt, and ginger as a dip!

I looooooooove Thai food!

canticles said...

OMG. Gonna have to do this one for sure!