More from the Fair...

There were lots a crazy new foods at the Fair this year: Oatmeal Cookie Chicken Sandwich, Zucchini Weenies, Deep-Fried Bread Pudding, Chocolate Covered Bacon. Eeek. Pre-op I probably would have indulged in several of them (well not the oatmeal cookie thing that is just sick) and easily consumed a week's worth of calories in one day. Thankfully my mindset has changed and very few of these sound appealing...

I did have Roasted Corn (a Fair MUST) and for dinner a big juicy cheeseburger wrapped in lettuce, no bun. They will do it just ask. I was impressed with the Albertson's Supermarket Rejuvenation Station (for my local pals: it's located on Wyland Way between the Music Mania Theme Exhibit and the AgriFair) that had a lot of yummy healthy snack choices.

I bought some weight loss surgery friendly snacks in my Super Cool Bento Box that carried us through the day and of course, I sampled my Jazzy New Orleans Muffaletta Salad after the judging was over.


Pink Box (top left): Yellow Pepper Strips, Cucumber Slices, and Baby Carrots
Green Box (top right): Banana Caramel Nut 5 Minute Protein Cake Hearts
Blue Box (bottom left): Shelly's Caprese Skewers
Bottom right: Tribe Single Serve Hummus (love these)
Off to the side: 2 Sugar Free Jolly Ranchers (totally never would know they are SF)

One of my favorites to make for holiday parties...

Shelly's Caprese Skewers

Fresh Basil
Bocconcini (those bite-sized fresh mozzarella balls)
Cherry or Grape Tomatoes
Pesto Sauce (homemade or storebought)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Bamboo Skewers (toothpick size or cut a full length in half)

Wrap the bocconcini with a basil leaf and pierce with the skewer. Add a tomato to skewer. Repeat until you run out of skewers or ingredients. Drizzle skewers with pesto sauce (if it's too thick nuke it or thin it out with olive oil) and sprinkles with freshly ground salt and pepper.