Thursday, June 18, 2009

More from the Fair...

There were lots a crazy new foods at the Fair this year: Oatmeal Cookie Chicken Sandwich, Zucchini Weenies, Deep-Fried Bread Pudding, Chocolate Covered Bacon. Eeek. Pre-op I probably would have indulged in several of them (well not the oatmeal cookie thing that is just sick) and easily consumed a week's worth of calories in one day. Thankfully my mindset has changed and very few of these sound appealing...

I did have Roasted Corn (a Fair MUST) and for dinner a big juicy cheeseburger wrapped in lettuce, no bun. They will do it just ask. I was impressed with the Albertson's Supermarket Rejuvenation Station (for my local pals: it's located on Wyland Way between the Music Mania Theme Exhibit and the AgriFair) that had a lot of yummy healthy snack choices.

I bought some weight loss surgery friendly snacks in my Super Cool Bento Box that carried us through the day and of course I sampled my Jazzy New Orleans Muffaletta Salad after the judging was over.


Pink Box (top left): Yellow Pepper Strips, Cucumber Slices and Baby Carrots
Green Box (top right): Banana Caramel Nut 5 Minute Protein Cake Hearts
Blue Box (bottom left): Shelly's Caprese Skewers
Bottom right: Tribe Single Serve Hummus (love these)
Off to the side: 2 Sugar Free Jolly Ranchers (totally never would know they are SF)

One of my favorites to make for holiday parties...

Shelly's Caprese Skewers

Fresh Basil
Bocconcini (those bite-sized fresh mozzarella balls)
Cherry or Grape Tomatoes
Pesto Sauce (homemade or storebought)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Bamboo Skewers (toothpick size or cut a full length in half)

Wrap the bocconcini with basil leaf and pierce with skewer. Add a tomato to skewer. Repeat until you run out of skewers or ingredients. Drizzle skewers with pesto sauce (if it's too thick nuke it or thin it out with olive oil) and sprinkle with freshly ground salt and pepper.

9 comments:

Meg said...

I could probably go for the deep fried bread pudding. Bread pudding no matter what is just nom. I need to figure out a WLS friendly bread pudding!

The single serve hummus sounds divine, I've been eyeing hummus since it's technically mushy, but the fat content vs protein shuts me down. Someday...

Michelle "Shelly" said...

You are in luck my protein souffles are a DEAD RINGER for bread pudding!

Here's the link to a bunch of them:

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=010161925482818458409%3Avag5alwlnvy&q=souffle

I don't really worry too much about fats... I do full fat everything. Fat=Flavor and it satisfies me cause it tastes good... lowfat or err no fat and I'd be longing for my next meal. Capacity wise I just can't eat enough to do too much damage. TY to the pouch.

Hope you like the souffles!

~Michelle

Erica Hanks said...

I made chocolate covered bacon for a Christmas party this year. It wasn't SO bad. Tasted a bit like english toffee. Here's a link to my "Chacon" blog post! lol

http://dramaqueensguide.blogspot.com/2008/12/whats-chacon-bacon.html

Anonymous said...

Those fair foods are um... Interesting...
I'm pre-op (still! Self pay) but I have to say the best thing mentioned has to be the hummus! I have to look for those, I love the stuff and even make my own but portions can get out of wack quickly, this is a great solution! Thanks so much for sharing. The muffalotta salad sounds fantastic too!

MK

Becky said...

ah i didn't know about the albertsons thing!! dang it. I saw all those though and then some! we went on the $2 taste of the fair. i was very good though! the only fried thing i had was a tastee of the fried cheese curds (kinda icky, only had a bite of one) and a bite of the fried artichoke with garlic. it too was icky. pre op i would have loved it and got more, post op my tastebuds have changed and it was gross. not to mention fried twinkie made me want to dump at the thought of even tsting one.

Denise Rambo said...

One of the last splurges I made before my surgery was deep-fried Oreos and a deep-fried Twinkie. I was prepared to TOTALLY love them and gearing up to mourn their absence from my life Post-Op. All I can say is YUCK! I'll take a deep-fried veggie anyday (although I don't eat THEM anymore either).

I DO however, LOVE LOVE LOVE fresh mozzarella. And basil ... I'd rub it all over myself and wear it as cologne that's how much I love it.

Tiffany said...

Deep Fried White Castles. Omg, as if they aren't bad enough already. That picture is classic.

becky said...

I'm excited, going back to the fair tonight for Bill Engvall! Do you have any faux funnel cake recipes? I've been craving one!

Drew's Mom said...

MSN just posted an article on theme park food. "Best & Worst Theme Park Food" Thought you might like to read it.http://health.msn.com/nutrition/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=100211053&imageindex=1