Saturday, March 27, 2010

Bentos & Bimbos

Hit the Farmer's Market as usual this morning. Less than $15 later... Yellow, Red & Green Onions, Leeks, Garlic, Cauliflower, Apples, Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries.



For more pics from my Farmer's Market and a link to how you can find a market in your area click here.

Stopped in Starbuck's for a Soy Latte. I grabbed a table and these two girls, 20-ish came in and sat down at the table next to mine. I was then treated to their ummm conversation...

Girl 1: I'm like loving this egg white sandwich. It's like so good. Joe told me about them and I was like I don't know if I'm gonna like it but I like totally did.

Girl 2: I really like Joe. He seems nice.

Girl 1: Yeah, he is nice but I can't marry him because he's gonna be like the ugliest old guy. His Dad is like totally bald.

I fear for the future of America.

I dropped my market goodies home and packed up my super cool bento box and walked to the park to have lunch...

Blue Box (top left): Turkey, Swiss Cheese and Shelly's Pesto Yogurt Dipping Sauce in the Little Blue Box
Orange Box (top right): Apricot & Walnut Cream Cheese stuffed Celery
Pink Box (bottom left): Shelly's Mini Berry Protein Donuts
Green Box (bottom right): Pickles

Shelly's Apricot & Walnut Cream Cheese

1/4 cup Cream Cheese
a few Walnuts
2-3 Dried Apricots
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Apricot Jam (I used Smucker's Simply Fruit)

Spoon 1/4 cup of cream cheese in a mini food processor. Toss a few walnuts, dried apricots and a Tablespoon of SF Jam. Whiz till combined. Fill celery or dip carrots or cucumber slices. Also great smeared on apple slices. Keeps in the fridge several days.

I got home, made a batch of Protein Ice Cream, did a little cleaning, got sucked into a Deadliest Catch marathon (love that show, RIP Captain Phil), gonna BBQ in a bit.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. I had something cool happen to me this week but I can't talk about it till Monday. I want to spew but must wait. It's not a marriage proposal from a rich hot guy or a lottery win but its still pretty cool.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this. I also fear the future of America!
Farmer's Market looked beautiful.

Bonnie said...

I too hit the farmer's market today. Sadly, in OK, we still have a pretty meager selection, but I did score lots of lovely lettuce, swiss chard, broccoli rabe, bell peppers, greenhouse tomatoes, radishes and carrots. Also picked up some Greek yogurt, yogurt cheese, and ground buffalo! Can't wait for summer when we will have berries and melons, and summer squash!

Connie said...

Like, it's totally unfair for you to, like tease us like this. Like I so can't wait to find out what your totally cool happening was!

Heaven save us from the bimbos!!

Connie

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Bonnie, Me too. I love when I have so much zucchini I don;t know what to do. I'm planting tomatoes this week.

LOL Connie.

Jennifer Miller said...

I muuust find a farmer's market soon! Do they normally take card, or is this a cash/check type of deal? I've honestly never been to one and I one of those plastic people that never have paper - lol.

I have a (alien) bento box (you can find it on amazon! so fun!) that I got for Christmas (yes, these are the types of things I put on my list - haha) and I usually pack it for my lunches at work/school, etc. with food for the entire day. How do you keep your food cool? Do you just place it in a fridge? I have these little gel packs that I've been putting in the mesh part of the lid of the bento carrier, but I find it doesn't really keep ALL day long so I tend to have to eat the items I don't want super cold right off the bat.

Susie - OK said...

Love your blog. I had my gastric 3/1, and have only lost 24 lbs. I know sounds like a lot, but only 2 lbs in the last 10 days. Guess I should start my walking, who knows. Anyway love the market pics. Thanks for sharing - Susie

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Jennifer,

A few will take cards but generally its cash only. They like small bills so all week I save my quarters and $1 bills in a coin purse for the market. The biggest haul I ever made was still under $20. I will treat myself to flowers once & a while but those are still only $4 or so.

On the bento cold thing... I use these ice blanket things. They can be snipped into segments or used whole...

http://astore.amazon.com/theworlda074c-20/detail/B001G7QV9A

If I pack fruit & yogurt. I will pack the fruit frozen so as it defrosts it perfect when I eat it and adds to the coldness of the box too.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thanks Susie, Congrats on the weight loss. You are doing great. It's just your body saying WTH?! where is the fuel (food) I've been used to? I better hold on to what I have for awhile. They call it hibernation mode (like bears in winter) but it doesn't last. The scale # will kick in again (also measure yourself inches are lost when the scale stops) Just keep doing all the right things.... protein, water, exercise stuff you want to do for the rest of your life :)

Best wishes!!!

Deanna said...

Sounds like an awesome day. Can't wait to hear your news on Monday!

Di said...

I am, once again, having farmer's market envy. It will still be while here in Indiana before ours is up and running.

Grill Question! I have the same one you have...a lovely gift from my dad. I have found my burner is not supplying enough flame to cook all of a sudden (it's only one year old). Have you had this problem? Remedy? I think I am going to have to resort to trying to take it apart (?). Thoughts?

Have a GREAT week!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Di, Yes I did. I took it apart and gave all the pieces a good scrub. I think it was fat in the gas element doohickey ;) put it back together and its been dandy since.

Love that little grill.