Orange Shrimp Salad & Condiments

What is everyone eating Turkey Day Eve? Pizza delivery is apparently very popular tonight. No work I guess. I try and eat meals leading up to Thanksgiving that are as far from poultry as possible in preparation for the 3 days of turkey creations ahead... so tonight it's Chinese, Seafood, Italian anything but t-bird. This was last night's dinner. Super easy. Less than 10 minutes to prepare...


Shelly's Orange Shrimp Salad

24 Small Cooked Shrimp, tails removed
2 Tablespoons storebought bottled Orange Sauce (brands: Iron Chef, Panda Express, Roland)
Mixed Greens
Cucumber, sliced
4 Bean Salad (Deli Section)
Slivered Almonds

Lemon Vinaigrette: 1 part Lemon Olive Oil to 1 part Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar (any fruity vinegar will do). I use this to whiz it up.

Heat Orange Sauce till bubbly. Drop shrimp in and toss till coated. Remove from heat. Arrange salad greens, cucumber and four bean salad. Add orange shrimp. Sprinkle with almonds. Drizzle with Lemon Vinaigrette.

A word on bottled sauces and condiments...

I use the real deal. I have tasted some sugar free and/or non-fat condiments and most taste like something stepped on in a field of cattle. If you like them... go for it. My theory: they operated on our guts not our taste buds... stuff still needs to taste good. So I use the real deal but sparingly. In this recipe 2 Tablespoons are spread out over all the shrimp (24 shrimp = enough for a couple of salads.) I get my favorite familiar taste but it's not slathered, not too many silly calories and not enough to create dumping issues. If you are highly sensitive choose another recipe. Remember to always follow your medical posse's advice.

In restaurants I ask for sauces and dressings on the side that way I can control the amount or whether to add them at all.