Friday, November 13, 2009

Healthier Oatmeal Cookies

So my experimental baking went well yesterday. I heart these. They make a great grab and go breakfast or snack. No added sugar, lower in cals and fats than most protein bars and bonus... the kitchen smells yummy when you bake 'em. Going to try a chocolate protein powder version today. Will let you know...

Shelly's Oatmeal Cookies

3/4 cup Spelt Flour
1/2 cup Oats
1/2 cup Unsweetened Coconut
1/2 cup Vanilla Protein Powder
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 cup Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used Caramel - on sale now)
1 Egg, beaten
1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
dash of Salt
1/4 cup Nuts, chopped (I used Walnuts)
1/4 cup Dried Fruit (I used Raisins and Dried Cranberries)

Preheat oven to 325. Mix all ingredients together till well combined.

Scoop with a small ice cream scoop onto a non-stick cookie sheet. Pat down slightly. They don't spread.

Bake at 325 for 9 minutes exactly. Remove from tray and cool on a wire rack. Makes 24.

Soooo when Santa & his reindeer crew stop by the Eggface household on December 24th these are what I will leaving for their snack... 'cause we all know the Big Red Guy could use a little less belly fat ;)


RP said...

Is it ok to use my hearty Irish Style Steel Cut oats, or do I need to use some quick cook type?

I thought about trying to use my oats if they have been cooked first? maybe that make the mixture too wet.

your thoughts?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Sure. Any oats will do. I use cheaper Coach's Oats for things like this & save my McCann's for breakfast but they are fine too.

Just dry, uncooked... wet would be too... well wet ;)


Stephanie said...

Any suggestions on what to use instead of coconut? I can't eat coconut but the cookies sound really good!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Stephanie, Hmmm maybe try a full cup of oats. I haven't tried it myself so not sure.


Anonymous said...

I accidentally omitted the coconut when I tried this recipe and they came out all right. I ended up making 16 cookies rather than 24 though (based on the size of my scoop) and baked them for 10 minutes instead of 9 minutes.

On my next batch, I'm going to try processing the oats a bit and soaking the raisins to add a bit of moisture. What I'm really hungry for is a sugar-free pumpkin spice cookie!