Monday, November 2, 2009

Best. Gift. EVER.


Days like yesterday make me soooo thankful I had weight loss surgery. I went to two outdoor events... a Day of the Dead celebration and a huge Street Faire. You know the kind of event where parking is gone by 5 AM and the event doesn't start till 10. Which means of course that you have to park miles away, hoof it to the good stuff then it's miles & miles of walking once you are there.

At 295 pounds I would NEVER have attempted an event like these let alone 2 in a day. I couldn't walk the length of the mall without stopping once or twice on a bench. Yesterday I walked and walked and walked... and never broke a sweat.

So this is just a public thank you to the universe, my surgeon, and myself (for finally making the choice to be healthy) Hope everyone who is considering weight loss surgery has as complication free a time as I have had. I wish you many, many, WOW moments. I'm 3+ years out and STILL having them.

Some pics of the day...




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelly, My name is Shelley and I had my surgery 12/15/08. I have lost 136 pounds and thanks to your blog it have not been so bad. You give great information and have touched on several emotions that I too have had. I don't feel alone. I look forward to your blog daily. I have been having many wow moments too. You just can't explain to someone what it's like to change so much, so fast. It's amazing, what a gift we gave ourselves. Thanks for all you do!

Shelley - shellsbell6765@msn.com
Flagstaff, AZ

Anonymous said...

Your insights and enthusiasm for life are infectious! Thanks!

Ashley said...

I have just discovered your blog. I recently made the decision to have WLS myself, and I am so excited to to be part of a community who has experienced it and can give me tips and encouragement along on the way. Rock on eggface!! :)

http://abandnewlife.blogspot.com

Mari said...

Congratulations on all your successes! You are just amazing, I LOVE your blog, and, as a side note, your "bites" recipes are absolutely FABULOUS! :)

chelsea's mom said...

I hear ya! I had RNY on 12/18/08 and I'm down 162 pounds. I just made my first visit to see my daughter in Seattle. We walked and walked and walked. I,too, could never make it through a mall without stopping every so often to rest my legs and my heart. This time though, no problems (except going DOWN stairs - still hard on the knees). In fact, I lost 5 pounds while on vacation due to all the additional walking I think! Great!! Thanks for your blog, I love it and use the recipes a lot!

d said...

What a neat day! Sounds wonderful! Today I am going to make some bites and mini protein muffins and hop on the organizational wagon. My crazy work schedule NEEDS an organized ME! I have printed a bunch of your recipes and am compiling a binder full of WLS-Friendly favorites....yours make up a huge % of what I've compiled. THANKS so much!

barefootandbeautiful said...

last year same time I was in Ca and experienced my first Day of the dead street festival- been hooked eversince- I live on East Coast...but visited Mexico for first time this Sept. and bought to figurines and have plans to make my own collection and dressed my October table with them! I love Halloween as a child and then I grew up and got"religion" and felt guilty and gave up Halloween- no longer tho- Dia Del Muetre is for me! great philosophy and tradition. I have my RNY on 11/2-- so I always will have reason to celebrate my surgiversary! next year? maybe a festival in person!