Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Shuffle Off To Buffalo

Actually I shuffled off with Buffalo... Buffalo Chicken Salad packed in my super cool bento box.

Pink Box (top left): Shelly's Buffalo Chicken Salad
Green Box (top right): Green Grapes
Blue Box (bottom left): Horseradish Cheddar Cheese and (in silicon green cup) Pepperoni Chips
Orange Box(bottom right): Shelly's Peanut Butter & Jelly Mini Muffins

Shelly's Buffalo Chicken Salad

Celery, sliced
Carrot, diced or shredded
Naked Chicken Nuggets (or leftover rotisserie chicken works great)
Frank's Ready to Use Buffalo Wings Sauce (careful it's got a kick)
Shelly's Blue Cheese Yogurt Dip

Toss cooked Naked Nuggets in 1 teaspoon of Frank's Ready to Use Buffalo Wings Sauce per 4 nuggets. Mix till well coated. Mix all salad ingredients together, top with chicken and a dollop of blue cheese yogurt dip.

Shelly's Blue Cheese Yogurt Dip (or Dressing)

3 oz. Fage Greek Yogurt
2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
1/4 cup Blue Cheese
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper

In a mini food processor (A post-op MUST have) whiz dressing ingredients till smooth. Great as a salad dressing or a dip for veggies or steak.

A word on using storebought sauces (BBQ, ketchup, hot sauces, mayo, etc.) I use the real deal. Not Sugar Free, Not Fat Free. Nothing special just the same old stuff I used before surgery. The difference is post weight loss surgery I don't slather. I use a very small amount so I still get the taste I'm longing for without the dumping syndrome or extra unneeded calories.

Here's my 2.5 cents on Sugar Free and Fat Free condiments... most taste like crud and add stuff that is equally as bad for you so why not have the real deal (in moderation) and enjoy. Life is too short to eat anything that tastes like a monkey's ass.


Mandyjorose said...

HI Shelly! I love to read your blog everyday, you are such an inspiration to those of us just starting out. I have a question that is kind of off subject, but I clicked on one of your links that brought me to a blog you did in 2006, when your hair was just coming back...I am 4 months out from Roux-N-Y, and my hair has been falling out for about a month. How long did yours fall out for and how long before you noticed it coming back? I have thin hair already and I am scared its all going to fall out, and I have not seen any re-growth yet. I know you aren't an expert or Dr or anything bu tI respect your words of wisdom and advice!!!! Thanks! (if you have a moment to respond)


Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Mandy,

2 months almost exactly... started at the 4 month mark. It was scary... every shower clumps. I took biotin and kept my protein levels up but I was freaked. No one else noticed... all looking at the body changes not the head but I felt like a huge glowing light was shining on my bald spot. At about 2 months it stopped and I began to notice spiky hairs growing. Itched too... new hair growth.

There are shampoos Nioxin supposed to thicken hair so it appears less thin... errr expensive. The damage is done when we have surgery (lack of nutrients those first few weeks, stress of surgery & anesthesia) so if its going to happen it will happen. All we can do really is help the regrowth... protein & vits.

Still worth it... No worries. I never went bald and you won't either :)


MadLori said...

Hey Shelly...I love your blog and can't wait to try so many of your recipes! But now I wanted to share something I found at the store. You probably already know about this product but I just discovered it and it's great.

The people who make VitaMuffins have a little cake called VitaTops, basically a muffin top. It's only 2 oz and 100 cals. It's organic and made with whole wheat flour, contains 6 g of fiber, 9g of sugar, 3 g of protein and is low fat. So many products like this taste awful but these are super delicious. I've only had the Deep Chocolate flavor but it would easily stand up next to any bad-for-you chocolate cake, moist and tasty.

I think a key to continued weight loss success is finding substitutes for your old bad habits that are still satisfying, so you don't feel too deprived, because therein lies backsliding. Mini rice cakes save me from craving pretzels and Cheetos. These cakes are a great way to satisfy a chocolate craving, and they're portable and easy. They're perfect for us post-ops!

I'm not some kind of planted spokesperson, I swear. :-) Just a fellow post-op, and I always want to share when I find something that makes the process a little easier.


hi shell: love your blog and i've tried about 25 recipes so far. i'm a lap bander and i don't dump but i haven't read a recent blog entry where you experienced dumping syndrome. it's great the you use the full-fat, real-sugar, real food ingredients in strict moderation, of course. would you dump if ya had say, a real deal starbucks light frap with sugar instead of splenda? i think your sugar free recipes rock but i sometimes sneak a real deal syrup in your recipes. would that make my rny buddies sick? what makes you dump, shell? i also read beth's, melting mama's blog (love that one too) and it's like you two had two completely different procedures (but you didn't) and completely different reactions to foods. oh, for hair loss, biotin, vits, and protein do wonders when used with 4 ozs. of apple cider vinegar twice daily. nioxin may be expensive but it's frequently on clearance and it works! you rock, shelly! looking forward to a wls recipe book so i can stop over-working my poor printer with your yummy recipes!angel in phoenix

Hungry2live said...

I just wanted to tell you how much I LOVE this site! It gave me so many ideas as a fresh band post-op, and will give me ideas for a LONG time to come. Even my family likes these recipies! You are doing a great service! Keep it coming!


Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thanks so much for the lovely compliments. So glad you are enjoying the site. Writing it each day helps me keep my head in the game so thank you for reading it


Hey Angel,

Yep I would experience mild dumping on full sugar Torani Syrup (in fact have when Starbucks screwed up my order once) sweating, heart palpitations, woozy but I can drink orange juice with no issues. Hard to say what does it to us RNYers and everyone is different...

I'm not an envelope pusher but it has happened three times since my RNY in 2006. The worst being Thanksgiving 2006 (note to self: cornbread stuffing is evil)

Here's how it goes for me: I get sweaty, my heart races and starts to beat out of my chest, I feel like I must lie down immediately (seems to help a bit but not much) and the end product is feeling completely wiped out and/or quick southward elimination of the offending item. It's mostly the passage of time that helps. My worst lasted 1 hour.

and here's the kicker...

You may dump
You may never dump
You may dump on something once and never dump on it again
You may dump on something I can eat oodles of
I may dump on something you can eat oodles of.

Beth's blog (MM) is great. I am happy to say we are real world pals too and have worked together a bit. Yep, everyone's journey is post-op is different.

Post-op reactions to food, etc... A lot has to do with what you eat & when. I eat a super balanced diet. I eat 3 planned meals & 2 snacks. My blood sugar rarely dips. When I stray from my eating plan I have dips.

A lot has to do with just your body... my niece is an RNYer too pukes all the time (several times a week), and has had several hernias because of it, etc. She was a puker pre-op (puked easily when things didn't agree with her) and pretty much the same post. I have only puked 3 times in 3 years. Rarely puked pre-op. Stomach of steel = steel pouch ;)

I rambled a bit but I hope I answered your Q,

Lesley said...

Life is too short to eat anything that tastes like a monkey's ass.

This needs to be embroidered onto a pillow or some tea towels. Seriously.

I am with you on using the real deal, just in smaller amounts. That's been working for me!

Jennifer Miller said...

I've decided I need one of these Bento boxes...they look like they're just the right portions and will be perfect for when classes start and I'm on campus a lot of the day! :)