Sunday, May 3, 2009

Gifts from the Ground

May is National Strawberry Month. The berries I've been getting from my favorite Farmer's Market seller this past couple of weekends have been stellar, super sweet ones and since I'm a regular she hooks me up with lots of extras :) Yet another benefit of shopping Farmer's Markets. Click on the link above to find a market in your area.

Last night's dessert...


Shelly's Strawberry Banana Parfait

Strawberries, sliced
Bananas, sliced
Warm Strawberry Toasted Coconut Custard (recipe below)

Layer berries, strawberry custard, bananas, more custard into a parfait glass or a stem glass.


Shelly's Warm Strawberry Toasted Coconut Custard

2 Tablespoons of Bird's Custard Powder
2 cups Milk
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Strawberry Torani Syrup
1/2 cup Unsweetened Coconut, toasted

Mix powder into a smooth paste with a little of the milk. Heat the remaining milk to almost boiling and pour onto the custard mixture. Return the mix to the pan and heat till thickened (it will bubble). Remove from heat and put Sugar Free Syrup and toasted coconut in. You can eat this as is warm (my favorite) poured over slices of my 5 Minute Cakes, Crumbs and Protein Souffles or chill it and it will firm up like pudding.

Highlights of the Day:

* Besides the yummy strawberries check out these babies (literally) I picked up at the FM...


* My little garden is going well. I'm going to have a ton of tomatoes in a few months. There is nothing like a warm from the sun just picked tomato. Mmmm can't wait.


Ohhh and the cucumbers have sprouted


* My sister is in town. Going to hang this week. Should be fun.

Listening to: Dave Matthews Band "Funny The Way It Is"

6 comments:

Tammara, Jess and Cory said...

I can't wait to try the Custard. You are giving me such great recipes. You need to have a Cookbook made really I would buy one I love your stuff. Enjoy your sister this week.

LisaSCV said...

Oh aren't the berries great right now. We have a lady that drives in from Oxnard & sells on the street down from my house & they are so big & good. Your garden got me thinking & so I asked for Mother's Day to skip going out to eat & to help me plant a bunch of veggies! I'm with your.. fresh tomatos are soooo good!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hey Shelly,
Did you plant the cucumbers in the ground or a pot? Looks like you are going to have a zillion tomatoes!
Lisa
www.lisalostandfound.blogspot.com

Michelle "Shelly" said...

T,J, and C, Thank you so much for the lovely compliments. That made my day.

***

Lisa, It is a really good year huh. Yum. Good luck with your garden. I went to Lowes today and I think everyoe has the same idea the place was PACKED!

***

Lisa, I know it will be tomato overload come summer... so remind me I was all excited on the 27th tomato dish I put up. LOLOLOL. The cucumbers are planted in a raised bed planter made out of bricks, I have a horse trough with zucchini & squash, and the tomato pots. A few tubs with herbs and the fruit trees. California soil is really rocky so I stick to tubs and things. It surprisingly makes enough for me and the neighbors LOL.

Thanks for asking. Have a great weekend.
~Michelle

lynnda said...

HA! I planted a bunch of stuff but forgot to label the pots so now I have lots of stuff coming up but can't remember what I put where. LOL.. It will be a surprise for me when stuff starts to appear. I love growing my own stuff. :-)

Erica Hanks said...

I am LOVIN' the berries from our farmers market! And at 3lbs for $1, I have GOT to get some into my freezer!