Saturday, July 26, 2008

Roasted Pear Protein Ice Cream


Shelly's Roasted Pear Protein Ice Cream

1 cup Vanilla Soy Milk (or Regular Milk)
2 scoops Vanilla Protein Powder
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Sugar Free Torani (I used SF Caramel), divided use
1 teaspoon + 1/2 teaspoon Butter Flavored Extract, divided use
2-3 Tablespoons Pecans, toasted & chopped
1 ripe Pear, roasted & chopped

Toast pecans lightly in a toaster oven or dry pan. Toss with 1 teaspoon of SF Syrup and 1/2 teaspoon butter extract set aside to cool. I pop them in the freezer while the ice cream churns.

Peel and core pear. Place in a Pyrex baking dish. Drizzle with 1 Tablespoon of SF Torani syrup. Roast in the oven, uncovered, at 350 for about 30 minutes or until tender and easily pierced with a knife OR microwave for 3-4 minutes. Chop. Allow to cool.

Mix together milk, protein, 1 Tablespoon syrup and 1 teaspoon extract. I used this gadget to mix it up. It makes it airy and lump free. Pour into ice cream maker. Follow your machine's instructions for freezing. 5 minutes before done add the chopped nuts and chopped pear.


You can eat it right away it is soft serve-ish but I like to put it in the freezer (in a tupperware) to set for an hour or so. I topped mine with a drizzle of SF Caramel Sauce (Smucker's)

5 comments:

Doug said...

I'm a bit confuzzled. Do the pear pieces go into the ice cream maker, or do you use them for topping/mix-in?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hi Doug,

In the maker as it's churning: 5 minutes before done add the chopped nuts and chopped pear.

~Michelle

DCY said...

This sounds delicious. I love pears.

When I am making the vanilla protein ice cream, I used Edge Soy Protein powder and soy milk. It had a very protein powdery taste. Does the Max Professional Protein posder not have that smell and after-taste, like Edge does?

I thought about cutting the recipe down to just one scoop, because I am still getting too much of the taste of the powder, which in turn makes me use more of the SF whipped cream, nuts, and SF chocolate fudge sauce to make it not taste so much like the protein powder.

Help!!!

I still want to make some of the Lemon Meringue because I think the lemon would mask the taste very well.

You must keep a very well stocked larder, with all these ingredients you use on an everyday basis.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

dcy: Max Protein has no protein taste to me but you know protein powder is a really individual thing... I always say one post ops yummy treat is another's monkey butt.

Here's the thing... if you don't like the taste of the powder in shake form you won't like it in ice cream. Though freezing does mask it a lot. So if it's just borderline icky then use it. If it is something you can't bare in shake form. Keep testing protein powders. It took me 8 months to find my favorite.

HTH,
~Michelle

Anonymous said...

I've made a couple of your terrific ice cream recipes, but this roasted pear is a definite favorite - you are definitely giving my Cuisinart a workout, after a long stretch of idleness! But I have an issue that maybe you can solve. Although the ice cream maker instructions say that a normal batch of ice cream takes 20-30 minutes before its ready, I find that a good deal of the ice cream is freezing rock solid to the inside of the rotating drum after only 7 minutes or so. Am I doing something wrong? I know I'm only making a tiny batch, but it's doing this at less than half the time it should take to complete a batch. How long does it normally take you in your Cuisinart?