Friday, July 11, 2008

Mint Chocolate Chip

This is what you make when those little Girl Scouts come a-calling with their evil Thin Mints.

Shelly's Mint Chocolate Chip Protein Ice Cream

1 cup Vanilla Soy Milk (or Regular Milk)
2 scoops Vanilla Protein Powder
1/8 teaspoon Peppermint Extract (careful a little goes a long way)
optional: 1/8 teaspoon Green Food Coloring
2 - 3 Sugar Free Andes or Peppermint Patties, chopped (30 cals a piece)

Mix together milk, protein, extract and optional food coloring. I used this gadget to mix it up. It makes it airy and lump free. Pour into ice cream maker. Follow your machine's instructions for freezing. 5 minutes before done add the chopped SF Andes. You can eat it right away it is soft serve-ish but I like to put it in the freezer to set for an hour or so. You can make this without the green food coloring but I grew up on the fake green one and green is my favorite color.

Highlights of the day:

* It's Friday, woot! What are your weekend plans?

* I googled a list of like 500 different Ice Cream flavors so I have my queue set for a whole summer of Protein Ice Cream creations. Apparently July is National Ice Cream Month so I guess this protein ice cream kick I'm on is timely, eh?

Little bit o' trivia: Mint Chocolate Chip is in the Top 5 favorite flavors in the US (Vanilla is #1.)

What does your favorite ice cream flavor say about you?

* It's kind of muggy and gross (not usual for us) so I'm going to walk the mall a few times instead of outside. AC rocks especially when I'm not paying the bill.

Listening to: "Hey Girl" O.A.R.


Anonymous said...

Michelle - We have the best ice cream shop in Columbus, Ohio it is called Jeni's. She is a trained Chef that opened an ice cream counter that serve's unusual flavors. A link is below...

My favorite pre-surgery was the Queen City Cayenne - very unexpected!

Thanks for sharing your recipe's!

icupicn said...

Well, I've been "eyeing" your ice cream recieps for a couple of days now and this one is sending me to the store! Between you and the DQ commercials...I give in! LOL

Becca said...

mmmm this looks almost sinful ! Great job Michelle can't wait to try it!~Rebecca

E said...

There is this little ice cream shop close by that makes something called a frosted lime. It a super creamy lime flavored milkshake toped with whipped cream. Delightful. I was craving one today, so I have a test concotion in the ice cream maker now. Wish me luck.

DCY said...

I want to get my hands on all of the SF items you have at your fingertips. Down here in the south it is hard to find these items. I guess I will have to click on your sites, Amazon, or fuss at my neighborhood food store to order me some.

The mint ice cream looks delish.

Kayce said...

This looks really yummy! I LOVE mint chocolate chip ice cream, and my hubby doesn't so he's outta luck with this recipe! Thanks for sharing! I'm glad I cam across your bolg on's going to help me alot!

KLTTX said...

I love your site. I broke down and bought an ice cream maker tonight and am freezing the bowl so I can make some tomorrow. Quick question - I have the same make as you. When you say that you like to put it back in the freezer to set for an hour or so, do you transfer it to an airtight plastic container or freeze in the maker's bowl? Thanks.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hope you guys enjoy it!

To clarify I transfer it to a tupperware and freeze for about 1 1/2 hours which brings the soft serve to a scoop stage.

Gena said...

Oh are talking my language with mint chocolate ice cream! Thank you...this will be my very first batch of creamy cold goodness ;-)

Sara said...

Hi Michelle.

Oddly enough, my favorite ice cream flavor wasn't listed. Cookie Dough! And, luckily, Edy's makes a NSA version which I have tried and it is yummy!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Sara,

What I like about the Protein Ice Cream versus those NSA storebought ice creams is that the homemade versions is a nice way to get more protein in since it's basically a frozen protein shake versus just a treat.


Sara said...


Is there a way to make Cookie Dough Protein Ice Cream??!? If so, I MAY have to justify buying and using an ice cream maker!!

*crossing my fingers* Work your magic, girl!! :)

shanna said...

hi shelly,
I actually work at DQ and for the last 4 months I have been turning our Bliaazrds into protein shakes! The faux scout protein shake was good. (yeah, def, have to watch out for the peppermint)Now I am turning them into ice cream now thanks to you.

manderlynn said...

Thank you so much shelly , you're recipes rock. i even bought an ice cream maker (my 1st hee hee)thanks again. keep up the awsome ideas.

Anonymous said...

When I grew up there was an ice cream shop in New Hope, PA that made violet ice cream. You go out and pick those little violets that smell so good, then candy them (you can google how to) and then they would be crushed and mixed into vanilla ice cream. It's something different!


lavendergrrrl said...

I wanted to make this so bad... SEI Pharm discontinued their Chocolate Chip Mint.. gah! I will have to get creative!

Kathy said...

I'm so excited. Finally received my SF Torani Syrups today from Amazon. My shopping list is ready for the other ingredients to make these amazing ice creams of yours. Can't wait!

Melisa Marie McConnell said...

Is it true that you have to use whole milk to make the protein ice cream? or can I use 2% milk?
I have made your ice cream before, but I always used whole milk. I no longer drink whole milk, only 2%

Thanks Shelly, keep up the great work!!

~Melisa Marie

Michelle "Shelly" said...

No 2% is fine... I use Vanilla Soy. Here are some tips: :)

Andrea said...

Can I use Torani SF Peppermint syrup instead of the peppermint extract? How much would you recommend?


Michelle "Shelly" said...

Yes SF Peppermint is what I use now... 1 Tablespoon gives me enough minty flavor... but taste it before it goes in the machine.

Anonymous said...

Holy cannoli that mint ice cream looks good!! I would so very much like to win this ice cream maker! Thanks for everything you do!!
Tina Ambrose

Vicki Hall-Clarke said...

Shelly, do you use 2 scoops of protein powder no matter what brand? My protein powder calls for 1 scoop per serving. Plus how big are the scoops? My protein comes with its own scoop. Thanks. BTW, I love your blog/website!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Make a shake the way you would normally but really froth it up (blender on high) toss in ice cream maker (read protein ice cream 101 blog entry first) 2% milk or above though (if you use soy like me Silk Vanilla Regular or Soy Dream Vanilla works best) no reduced fat, light, almond.