Thursday, July 17, 2008

Butter Pecan

My favorite so far (yeah I know I've said that before)


Shelly's Butter Pecan Protein Ice Cream

1 cup Vanilla Soy Milk (or Regular Milk)
2 scoops Vanilla Protein Powder
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Sugar Free Torani (I used SF Vanilla), divided use
1 teaspoon + 1/2 teaspoon Butter Flavored Extract, divided use
2-3 Tablespoons Pecans, toasted and chopped

Toast pecans lightly in a toaster oven or dry pan. Toss with 1 teaspoon of SF Syrup and 1/2 teaspoon butter extract set aside to cool. I pop them in the freezer while the ice cream churns.

Mix together milk, protein, 1 Tablespoon syrup and 1 teaspoon extract. I used this gadget to mix it up. It makes it airy and lump free. Pour into ice cream maker. Follow your machine's instructions for freezing. 5 minutes before done add the chopped nuts. You can eat it right away it is soft serve-ish but I like to put it in the freezer (in a tupperware) to set for an hour or so.

13 comments:

Tara said...

Do you find your ice creams a little gritty even after letting them harden up in the freezer? Or do you get that smooth, creamy texture? I made the mint and chip tonight and I think I'm gonna add some sf cool whip to get it a little creamier.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Tara, No mine's pretty creamy what milk are you using? Fat content gives it the mouth feel factor so skim or 1% you'll have an ice milk-ish texture versus 2% and above or my soy milk.

~Michelle

Jinkers - OH said...

aaaaaaahhhhh that was going to be my question. And I was blaming the protein powder. Gonna up the milk % tomorrow. Off for a batch of vanilla with caramel swirl MMMMM

Neen said...

Hey Shelly--quick question for you. Do you know how many grams your particular protein scoop is? Mine is 48g (using Optimum Nutrition NitroCore24) and I think it's a bit bigger than most. I just want to get my proportions right.

Rachel said...

How many servings does this make? I want to make more than just one serving especially of the butter pecan! I am getting my ice cream maker today! Thanks

Melting Mama said...

OH NO YOU DIDN'T MAKE THIS FLAVOR.

Yum.

Mel said...

this might be the flavor that puts me over the edge and go buy an ice cream maker....

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
I love your ice cream recipes. I am 5 wks post op and in the 3rd week of "soft foods". I have no imagination with food. I love some of your casseroles, but with the size of my allowed portions, these will last me for weeks. How can I break it down to single or double portions.

Golden22 said...

I was waiting for the butter pecan recipe and you have it. Thank you so much. Now, I have to convice my husband why I need an ice cream maker.

Jim said...

Just made a double recipe of Shelly's Butter Pecan Protein Ice Cream, and it is the best.
Thankfully I'm out of Pecans or I would probably make another double batch today and over eat.
Thanks Shelly, your a real treasure to us post WLSers.

Brenda Metzger said...

Can this ice cream be made with unsweetened almond milk? Cant wait to try this!!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

I have had best results with 2% milk (cow) Vanilla Soy Milk (Silk, Soy Dream) everything else makes a more ice milk texture not creamy.

Brenda Metzger said...

Thanks Shelly