Monday, June 9, 2008

Truffles and Herbs

Seriously yummy. One of the many things I made this weekend...


Shelly's Protein "Truffles"

1/2 cup Almond Butter
2 1/2 scoops Chocolate Protein Powder
1 teaspoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Vanilla)
1/4 cup Chopped Nuts
1/4 cup Ricotta Cheese

Optional coatings: unsweetened toasted coconut, unsweetened cocoa, more protein powder, crushed nuts, SF dry pudding mix.


Mix first 5 ingredients. Roll into quarter size balls. Roll into optional coating: I used unsweetened toasted coconut. Refrigerate. Makes 18-20 truffles.


I had a really nice weekend. I hope you guys did too. It was a typical Saturday you guys know my drill by now... Farmer's Market, followed by coffee and a little people watching, and some random errands. Sunday I spent getting dirty in the garden. I added a few more herbs to my herb garden. A guy at the market on Saturday was selling a ton of different varieties of thyme so I picked up a few, some chocolate mint and apple mint and some cilantro (about $10 worth of little plants) to add to my already growing basil, dill, parsley, and rosemary. The tomatoes have a few little green babies. I'm excited.

I didn't plant a lot this year just a few favorites to liven up my cooking. Food tastes so much better with fresh herbs. I make a Dill Chicken Salad that is very good with dried dill but when you use fresh it's awesome. Fresh basil is a must in Bruschetta Bites. A little fresh thyme in my Chicken Dijon Casserole makes a huge difference.



Highlights of the weekend:

* I spent 20 minutes talking to the herb guy (I heart the FM for this reason) learning about my new cilantro plants needs so hopefully I won't kill this batch. I apparently baked one batch and drowned the other. Let's hope I get it right this time.

* Mastered my entry for a cooking contest I'm entering (have to keep it a surprise for a little while longer though)

* Came to a realization: I've been entirely too whiny lately. Special thank you to all those (especially Sarah, Barbara, William) who have had to listen to me whine. I sat outside on the swing last night staring at the stars and decided that it was time I snapped out of it.

Listening to: Depeche Mode "Enjoy The Silence"

6 comments:

DCY said...

Awwwww, but it's so fun to whine about some things.

Love the pics you post. So helpful.

I am glad the herbs were separate from the truffles, I couldn't wrap my brain about a spicey truffle. Oh don't get me wrong I am sure there are some savory truffles out there but I will take mine sweet. I just love the French words "Bon-Bon.

His Woman said...

Hi Shelly... Just got this in my email... this is a WONDERFUL cooking/vegetarian blog. This is a WLS friendly recipe!! Thought you might like to see it and try it...

I heart your blog...
Wendy from Boston.
http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/cracker-lasagna-recipe.html

Donna said...

Gurrrrrl, I am so making these protein truffles. You rock in the Kitchen!

Donna said...

"spent 20 minutes talking to the herb guy (I heart the FM for this reason)"

I'm confused... do you "heart" the FM because of the herb guy, himself, or is that you can spend 20 minutes talking to him? ;-)

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Donna: You are too funny. You are going to find me a dream man I just know it... no although he was a cutie (probably married everyone in this town is) I heart the Farmer's Market because the sellers take time with you... the herb guy telling me all the tricks of planting for 20 minutes. No guy at Lowes will do that for you. I go to this garlic seller (heirloom garlic varieties) that always shares a new recipe. They are just passionate about what they do and that's what I heart.

***

Hey Wendy, I'll check it out.

***

dcy: I'm a whiner by nature... I'm sure I'll slip into it. LOL.

These are super yummy hope you love them.

~Michelle

Neepee19 said...

The truffles look yummy!