Hi I'm Eggface and I'm a carb-o-phobe

Not really. I just know: You can't continue the same behavior and expect a different result.

As a post-op I've tried to figure out the why to what got me to the point where I had to re-arrange my guts and am trying to learn from my mistakes. Only you know your triggers, the stuff you don't have control around, the behaviors that brought you to this point. They are different for everyone (overindulgence in simple carbs for ME.) Old habits die hard... it's up to us to put the nail in their coffin.

So I had leftover Italian Crab Bites for dinner last night but I wanted something creamy and comforting to go with. Pre-op I would have made a big batch of Mac & Cheese and had myself a good old-fashioned carb fest but post-op...


Shelly's Squash & Leek Casserole

3 cups sliced yellow Summer Squash or Zucchini (or combo)
1 Leek, sliced (white & light green parts only)
2 Green Onions, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1/2 cup Shredded Italian Blend Cheese
1/2 cup Artichoke Hearts (non marinated), chopped fine
1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan
2 Tablespoons Italian dry Bread Crumbs

Saute the leek and green onion till golden. Add garlic cook 1 minute more. Remove from pan and set aside. Saute squash till it just gets a little color and slightly tender. Mix in sour cream, cheese, artichokes, salt and seasonings. Fold in cooked leek mixture. Turn into buttered casserole. Combine bread crumbs and Parmesan. Sprinkle over top of casserole. Bake at 350 degrees about 30-35 minutes or until browned and bubbly.


It was creamy and satisfying like Mac & Cheese but soooo much better for you. It would be awesome with meat or fish as a side dish. I hope you enjoy it.

Who needs pasta?! More Eggface pasta-less alternatives:

Shelly's Grilled Veggie Lasagna
Shelly's Pesto Chicken and Veggies
Shelly's Chicken Cacciatore with Beans