Saturday, March 15, 2014

Blue Sky and Bento Lunch

We have officially had the warmest and driest winter on record in California and although I love the sunshine and blue skies the lack of rain is really affecting the crops. We grow A LOT of things in California. I'm sure the prices at the supermarket will soon reflect the drought conditions. It was 84 for a high today and tomorrow it's supposed to be 90. It's crazy, it's March! 90 degrees?!


Well despite it being still "winter" I did what you should do on a Saturday with these kind of temps. I made a picnic lunch. I filled my bento box and brought it outside on the patio and had a nice visit with Fezziwig (she started visiting around Christmas hence "The Christmas Carol" inspired name) the kitty that has adopted my yard as it's daytime hangout.


Pink Box (top left): Celery Sticks and Green Pepper
Green Box (top right): Sliced Cucumbers (my crackers)
Blue Box (bottom left): Caprese Salad (gorgeous Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella, Basil, Oregano, Salt and Pepper)
Orange Box (bottom right): Shelly's Pesto Parmesan Greek Yogurt Dip

Lunch was completely vegetarian but still protein packed.

More Bento Box lunches, FAQ's and an Online Source for them

My Bento Pinterest Page 

I went to the Farmer's Market this morning as usual. As soon as I got home I got a tray of peppers and onions cut up and in the oven to roast but I saved that piece of pepper to dip. It looked like a shamrock and I could use the luck ;)


Hope everyone is having a nice Saturday.


post signature

8 comments:

Kathy said...

I'm not too far from your city down south in Escondido. I'm also enjoying this gorgeous weather. I've walked outdoors five days in a row and plan on going for a beach walk later this morning in Oceanside. I'm sorry the rest of the country is having horrid weather, but I definitely am enjoying the sun on my face ;-)

Linda B said...

Even up here in the high desert, the weather has been pretty nice. I am tempted to get the garden started. Our farmer's market happens on a weekday while I'm at work, so I don't get the pleasure of shopping there. Maybe this summer while I'm off (I'm a teacher now). Oh, the kitty, what a cutie.

Kelly said...

Can I ask about how many grams of protein are in you lunch? I am falling short on my protein lately and I am trying to eat cleaner and rely on protein shakes less. Thanks!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

We are very lucky it has been gorgeous... would like a rainy day every so often though, save my water bill :(

***

Thank you from Fezzy

***

I aim for 50% protein, 25% complex carbs, 25% healthy fats in a day (based on my weight goals, lifestyle, exercise) about 70 grams minimum usually I go well over (splashes of soy milk in coffee add up) Hope that helps.

Marcia Kenney said...

Shelly: Thank you so much for your wonderful blog. I recommended it to my bariatric weight loss support group! Reading your blog (and I mean all of it) has helped me so much. I am now 3 weeks post surgery but your recipes and suggestions gave me the much needed confidence that I could do this and rule my kitchen again! Thank you for all that you here!

Denise H. said...

Do you know who Fezzwig belongs to? You might have a new kitty on hand! My Princess Fluff passed away right around the time yours did. And God sent a little orange tabby right to my door. Everyone thinks he belonged to the house on the street that got foreclosed. He's a new sweet addition to our family now and we love him and spoil him. :)

Lane said...

Hi Shelly,
I LOVE your blog! I am 2 weeks out from gastric bypass surgery and have learned so much from you. I am in Houston and am searching for Max Protein powder. My GNC's do not carry it. Do you know if the Max in the white jars is the same product repackaged? Thank you!
Laneakin@hotmail.com

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thank you so much for the lovely compliment. It has changed a couple of times blue bottle to bag to white tub I think is the current container. SEINutrition.com and SEI Nutrition on Facebook. Hope the healing is going well!