Monday, October 14, 2013

Halloween Bento Box Lunch

It's become a tradition around these parts to make a Halloween themed Bento Box full of spooky foods. Here's this year's edition...

Pink Box (top left): Shelly's Meatball Eyeballs
Green Box (top right): Shelly's Pile of Worms
Blue Box (bottom left): Shelly's Candy Corn Tortilla Pizza
Orange Box (bottom right): Shelly's Bloody Brain Mini Protein Muffin

Online Bento Box Source 

Shelly's Meatball Eyeballs

Your favorite Meatballs (storebought or homemade) simmered till tender in tomato sauce. With a chopstick or pointy end of a utensil dig out a small amount of the center of the the Meatball and insert a Spanish Pimento Stuffed Olive. Sometimes I feel like somebody's watching me...

Shelly's Pile of Worms

Saute Bean Sprouts till tender and bendy. Stir in a tablespoon (to a pound bag) of Soy Sauce cook for a minute. Great Asian noodle alternative to serve with stirfry dishes if you can put this Halloween use out of your mind.

Shelly's Candy Corn Tortilla Pizza

You'll need 3 cheeses: I used Provolone (white), Cheddar (darker orange), and American (light orange) and a Tortilla. I used my favs Mission Carb Balance Whole Wheat Fajita Size. Preheat oven to 375. Place the tortilla on a lightly Pam non-stick sprayed baking sheet and into the oven for 5 minutes. Flip and place cheeses on top.

Bake for 5 more minutes. Allow to cool slightly before cutting into "candy corn" wedges.

Shelly's Bloody Brain Mini Protein Muffin

Any of my Protein Mini Muffin recipes will do (Pumpkin, Pistachio, Almond, Chocolate, there's more flavors in the archives) Top one with a teaspoon of Sugar Free Strawberry or Raspberry Jam and a Walnut half.

More Creepy Halloween Healthy Treats:

Halloween Bento
Shelly's Mummy Tortilla Pizza
Shelly's Deviled Egg Spiders
Halloween Bento
Shelly's Poor Barbie Protein Shake
Shelly's Healthy Halloween Fluff Stuff
Shelly's Halloween Jack-o-Lantern Jars with Harvest Mix

More Healthy Halloween Ideas can be found on My Pinterest Halloween Page

post signature


Denise Harkness said...

I love this! I really enjoy your bentos for special occasions, but Halloween is my favorite! It's my favorite holiday so the bentos are a blast!

Thanks for continuing to make eating right fun!

P.S. Bean sprouts in lieu of pasta. Duh! I like the zucchini idea (I have the gadget) but this will be something different!

Anonymous said...

Shelly do you all that in one meal or is that all u eat for the day? I would like to know I had RNY and I'm afraid of eating too much

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thanks Denise!


FAQ's on bento boxes:

Portion sizes should be ALWAYS determined by your Dr's plan. The amount one post op eats versus another will vary based on how far out they are, activity level, goals, needs.

Cesar Lee said...

Thanks for sharing these, great pics, I really enjoyed it!

Deanna Annechino said...


Are we allowed to share your recipes on our own Facebook page as long as we include a link to your webpage?

You have great recipes that I would love to share with non-WLS friends.


Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hi Deanna, Thank you. A link and title of the recipe is appreciated! Just not the full recipe or photos TY :)

Frankensleeve said...

Hey eggface, really like the Halloween ideas. I'm not much into cooking, but I'm going to give the Candy Corn Pizza a try.

Tammy said...

Dumb question. I just got my Bento box (so excited) the containers that don't have lids do you put saran wrap over them or just let that stuff go loose? Love your Blog. I have always been a "if it grows it goes" type of girl and now I'm excited to try all the veggies out there. Fun, Fun, Fun. Thank you!!


Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Tammy, You can but I never have had anything leak... of course I don't but anything like soup in them... if it's a dressing or more liquidy I use the boxes that come with lids.