Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Bentos and Bathrooms

Spent another day trapped in the house watching plumbers hack apart our bathroom. The tile was removed, floor jack hammered, damaged pipe and offending tree removed, new pipe installed, new cement. Now we are waiting on the tile man to replace the floor. Once that is set, the fixture can be replaced and hopefully all will be resolved by Thursday. To the tune of $3,000.

If my upcoming Vegas trip wasn't already paid for I would have had to cancel. I'm going still (plane, hotel & event tix are all non-refundable) but will be on a tight budget that will last all summer long :( I'm going to use the contents of my pantry down to the very last can and plan fun & free things to do, lots of bento box picnics and beach days. Speaking of picnics, I made the most of being trapped, I packed lunch in my super cool bento box and set myself outside on the patio all day.

Pink Box (top left): Turkey, Avocado, Swiss Melted Roll-up
Orange Box (top right): Refried Beans with Cheese and Salsa
Blue Box (bottom left): Just the Cheese Crunchy Cheese - White Cheddar flavor
Green Box (bottom right): Sliced Strawberries with a squirt of Sugar Free Vanilla Torani

Looking forward to tonight. It's Prom Night on Glee. I'm making snacks of course ;)

post signature


FitBy40 said...

Hubby just bought me a bento box and I'm so excited! You've influenced me.

Blessed Beyond said...

I wanted to take a moment to tell you thank you! I am pretty new your your blog. I will be having my rny next week, and your recipes has really helped me to realize I can get the flavors I love, and still be eating healthy and what I need. I really appreciate it. I have passed your blog on to others, I know that are in the process or just out from wls. You are an inspiration! Thank you so much!

B Lu said...

I hosted our first WLS support group tonight and made your beef and broccoli bites. Actually I did turkey instead. For some reason I can't do ground beef right now. There were only 3 of us but we enjoyed the bites!! I am 4 weeks post op, one was at goal and we had one pre op. Good meeting.
Keep up the good work!!
on OH: peachynptc

Anonymous said...

Have you called you insurance company to see if you can claim it? Your summer may not look so bleak! =-)

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Yay Fit, You will have so much fun filling it!


Thank you for the lovely compliment Patty


B Lu, So glad they were enjoyed! Hope your healing is going well!


Unfortunately they would only cover the tile work but with my deductible it doesn't pay :(

Beth Ann said...

I just recently tried the cruchy cheese. What a nice and different choice!

april smith said...

Hi Shelly,
I want to order the crunchy cheese from Amazon (using your link, of course), but can you tell me how many calories per bag before I do, please? Thanks!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey April. 75 cals a bag, 5g protein, 1g carbs.

Nanette said...

Oh that sucks, redocrating is fun, but only if it is your choice. I contacted Specialty Cheese about the just the cheese snacks to see if they can be found local, unfortunately not, but they are sending me samples of their most popular flavors. Cool!!

Hopefully you will have a few dollars you can sink in a one armed bandit in Vegas and win enough to recoup your expenses of the bathroom redo.

Denise said...

LOVING my Bento box! My mum got me one for my birthday and it's the best. Lunch just tastes better in it!

Shelly, did you eat your refried beans cold? Do you ever nuke items in the bento containers? They don't look very microwaveable to me. Just curious.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Aren't they great. So much fun to fill. I feel like a kids at recess. I actually ate them hot that day I was just on the patio out back avoiding the plumbers.

Erin said...

Hi Shelly! I am a little over 3 weeks post op and cannot tell you how much I've loved reading your blog! I am SO uncreative when it comes to cooking and your blog has given me so many ideas! When I'm released to eat more different kinds of foods, I'll definitely be trying your recipes. Please keep it up!!
I have a question that may sound crazy...do you eat all of the food in your Bento box for lunch or is it for snacking throughout the afternoon?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Erin, Thank you. Hope you enjoy all you try from the blog :)

On the bentos... Sometimes... sometimes it's 1 meal, sometimes it's 1 meal & a snack or 2... Sometimes I eat everything, sometimes 1/2 the box comes home, or share with someone ;) I try and bring extra mini muffins when I make those cause someone always asks about them. LOL I've learned my lesson on that ;) bring a spare.

What I eat at a 4-3/4 year post op would be different from a 3 month-er 1 year, etc. Always go with what your medical posse says is right for your stage.