Thursday, April 21, 2011

Shelly's Gone Nuts Crepes

The day before I went to New York I was wide awake at 3 AM (as usual) and I decided to experiment with my crepe recipe. I normally use Spelt or Garbanzo Flour but I wondered hmmm what if I used Peanut Flour?

I get my Peanut Flour (aka PB2, partially defatted peanut butter, powdered peanut butter) at Trader Joe's (in the baking section) but you can sometimes find it in Whole Foods, bulk health food stores, camping or emergency supply stores, or online.

A warm peanut-y crepe, it's delicious...

Shelly's Gone Nuts Crepes

2 Eggs, beaten
1/2 cup Almond Milk
2 Tablespoons Water
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Caramel)
1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
1/2 cup Peanut Flour (aka Powdered Peanut Butter, PB2, defatted Peanut Flour)
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
dash of Salt

For savory crepes: leave out SF Torani and use 1/4 cup water instead.

Blend all ingredients on low till thoroughly combined. Pour into a bowl, cover and refrigerate for a half-hour.

Spray non-stick 8-10 inch crepe pan with Pam non-stick spray. Pour 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan and twirl it around to spread the batter in a thin circle.

Cook till top appears dry and flip. Cook a minute or so on other side. Repeat till all batter is used. While you are making them you can keep them warm in a low oven 200 degrees or nuke 20 seconds before serving. Makes 8-10 crepes depending on size of pan.

Refrigerate up to 3 days. Nuke 20 seconds to warm or they even taste yummy cold from the fridge.

Sweet Filling Ideas:

Sugar Free Torani Sweetened Ricotta Cheese
Storebought Pineapple Cottage Cheese
Sugar Free Torani Sweetened Greek Yogurt
Greek Yogurt with added Protein Powder
Ricotta with added Protein Powder
Defrosted Frozen Fruit
Sugar Free Whipped Cream
Fresh Fruit (Peaches, Blueberries or Strawberries with Sweetened Ricotta or my Apple Pie Innerds)
Sugar Free Maple Syrup
Sugar Free Jelly or Jam (like a PB&J)
Protein Ice Cream
Peanut Butter or Peanut Butter Yogurt Dip
Sugar Free Chocolate Sauce (Mmmm warm with Banana it's heaven)

Smear some Peanut Butter or Sugar Free Jelly in the middle, wrap in foil, and pair with a packet of CLICK Espresso Protein (On Sale till April 30, 2011) and a CLICK Shaker. Add water or milk when you reach your destination and you have a great grab & go breakfast.

Mmmm a Peanut Butter Crepe and a Vanilla Latte CLICK. I can take on any kind of day with that as my start.

I'm thinking of making a savory version this week sometime with a Thai-inspired Chicken Salad or my Lettuce Wrap Mixture filling.

post signature


Sheila said...

These look yummy. I don't have a crepe pan, would a regular skillet work??

Margo Nelson said...

These sound yummy. I have been using L/C ricotta crepes instead of noodles for lasagna, manicotti etc. I may give these a shot for other layered typed caseroles. I also just bought some black bean flour (Bob's Red Mill)and may try that in some l/c baking. they also have fava and white bean flour, both of which, esp the fava, are very low carb. I am thinking that black bean crepes would be fantastic in enchilada-style dishes!

Love your blog and recommend it often!

Brewer said...

Ok this is one I WILL be making. We don't have a T. J's in our area, but my folks send me care packages as needed from Ohio.

Thanks for this new recipe. Looks yummy.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hope you guys enjoy them!

Sheila, A regular skillet will work... it's a little harder to flip with a higher sided pan but after a couple you'll get the knack. If you love them crepe pans are under $15 and will make life much easier ;)

Susan said...

Call your Trader Joe's before you drive all the way to one! I drove 3 hours to get to one just to find out they stopped selling the peanut flour.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

I think it's a regional thing Susan :( I heard they were discontinuing so I bought a couple and the next week I went in and they had restocked. Yesterday I was in mine here in So Cal and they had a shelf full again.

Kristi said...

This looks good. I was at Whole Foods the other day, I didn't see any peanut flour, but I did see coconut flour. Have you ever tried it?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

I haven't tried Coconut Flour... I understand it's used in Gluten Free cooking a lot. I use Spelt, Garbanzo, Almond, Peanut mostly. Some are tricky and must be mixed with other flours only spelt I've found is a 1:1 ratio replacement for white.

M said...

That's it! I'm going to find the nearest Trader Joe's and make this recipe this weekend! It sounds soooo delicious!!

Kristy R said...

Just an FYI - Trader Joe's has discontinued carrying the Peanut Flour due to allergy issues (at least, that is what they told me). Learned this last month when I was looking for it. I called and asked. You can still get it on-line. Just to be sure, I checked at 3 Trader Joe's in my area and none had it.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Kristy, I had heard they were discontinuing months ago but my TJ's keep restocking it (shelf full at mine just the other day) so it might be a regional thing.

Powdered peanut butter is pretty readily available though... camping supply, emergency supply, online, bellplantation's PB2. All are interchangeable.

Allison said...

Shelly PLEASE write a cookbook. I come here every single day to see what's going to be for dinner at my house and in my Bento box for lunch. You are missing a huge market!!!!! Love the site. YOu are truly a lifesaver for so many.

Allison said...

I'm in Orange County, CA, and just found the PB flour at our local TJ's. Yay! I had read on OH that they weren't carrying it, so I hadn't even looked for it when I've gone there. (Silly me!)

Anyway, quick question about the crepes. Can regular milk be used in place of almond milk?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Great. Glad you found it. Yep Regular Milk, Soy Milk, Almond... all will work. I wouldn't use non-fat maybe 2% and up.

LuLu Kellogg said...

How did I miss this recipe! Going to try it this morning! Thanks Shelly!!