Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Girl Scout Cookie Combat

It's that time again. There is no getting away from them. Those smiley-angelic faces are everywhere, a sweet chorus of little voices, "Would you like to buy some cookies?" In my neighborhood you can't get in a store or bank without being hit up. The itsy-bitsy Daisies (first level Girl Scouts) are the worst. That should just be illegal, they are too darn cute. How do you say "No" to those?! It's just plain mean.

Ahhh but mean I must be because those little angels are hawking some of my pre-op crack. Not sure they still are packaged this way but Thin Mints boxes used to come with two sleeves of cookies inside. Wasn't that two portions? ;) Seriously though it's way too easy to eat a ton of them so since weight loss surgery they just don't get through my door.

Still jonesing for those iconic Girl Scout cookie flavors. Try these healthier ways to satisfy the urge...

Shelly's Chocolate Mint Protein Shake (aka Thin Mints™)

1 cup Vanilla Soy Milk (or Regular Milk)
1 scoop Chocolate Protein Powder
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Peppermint Torani Syrup
1 Tablespoon Unsweetened Cocoa
2-3 cubes of Ice

Whiz in blender till smooth. Top with a squirt Sugar Free Land o Lakes Whipped Cream and a shaving of SF Mint Chocolate or drizzle of SF Chocolate Topping, optional.

Shelly's Caramel Coconut Protein Shake (aka Samoas/Caramel deLites™)

1 cup Vanilla Soy Milk (or Regular Milk)
1 scoop Chocolate Protein Powder
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Caramel Torani Syrup
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Coconut Torani Syrup
2-3 cubes of Ice

Whiz in blender till smooth. Top with a squirt Sugar Free Land o Lakes Whipped Cream, a sprinkle of Toasted Coconut and a drizzle of SF Caramel Topping, optional.

Shelly's Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Shake (aka Tagalongs/Peanut Butter Patties™)

1 cup Vanilla Soy Milk (or Regular Milk)
1 scoop Chocolate Protein Powder
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Chocolate Torani Syrup
1 Tablespoon Peanut Flour (aka PB2, aka defatted Powdered Peanut Butter)
2-3 cubes of Ice

Whiz in blender till smooth. Top with a squirt Sugar Free Land o Lakes Whipped Cream and shaving of SF Chocolate, optional.

Shelly's Peanut Butter Protein Shake (aka Do-si-dos/Savannahs™)

1 cup Vanilla Soy Milk (or Regular Milk)
1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Vanilla Torani Syrup
1 Tablespoon Peanut Flour
2-3 cubes of Ice

Whiz in blender till smooth. Top with a squirt Sugar Free Land o Lakes Whipped Cream and a few chopped Peanuts, optional.

Ways you can still support the Girl Scouts:

Buy the cookies and leave the boxes with the troop. I'm sure the girls would like a snack (it's hard work selling crack) or can re-sell those boxes to others (double their $) or some troops are collecting cookies for Operation: Taste of Home (cookies for the US soldiers serving overseas)

If your sister, friend at work, neighbor is asking you to buy them from their kids and you feel like you must *cough* emotional blackmail. Tell your sister, friend at work, or neighbor to keep the cookies. They can figure out what to do with them.

Donate your saved cookie $ to the Girl Scouts. I was a Girl Scout (photo evidence below) The cookie sales money we made helped us go camping each year. Give them money instead.

Or if you can be strong on the car ride... buy the boxes and drop them off at your nearest food bank.

post signature

19 comments:

Tammi H said...

As a former Girl Scout as well, selling those darn cookies helped pay for many things we did. So, YEAH DONATIONS!! We usually make monetary donations to our local troops.
THANK YOU so much for the protein shake versions of these cookies! I can't wait to try them!! :)

Pouch Party said...

Shelly, I was the cookie mom for our troop this year! To get through I had to make a lot of these same protein shakes because if not, I would have dove head first into those boxes! I am proud to say, though, that over 1200 boxes of cookies came through my house and thanks to those shakes I maintained zen-like control!

paige said...

Ah what a sweet picture!! Thnx for the recipes, I've been really mouth-craving the cookies this year, but only for the flavors. Pouch & brain would rather not deal with the carbs, fat, calories. Definitely have to try your recipes! Liquid squee :D

Tiffany said...

These recipes are so yummy!! I can't wait to try them out! I "heart" you!! <3

lindasteller said...

I never trust myself with the Girl Scout cookies. I give them the money and ask that THEY donate the box or two of cookies to the local food bank. Once those buggers are in the car with me, there's no telling what will happen, even though I know they would make me incredibly ill. Thanks for the alternatives!

Anonymous said...

Great ideas Shelly...I got hit up like 3 times...2 at work and 1 at my door...oh at at the grocery store too...I politely declined but felt so bad....I sometimes wish they would just ask for the $$...I would be more than glad to donate.

Ann :-)

KrysTros said...

I really wish they'd sell other things along with the cookies, such as cookie tins or something non-edible. I haven't bought GS cookies since I found out I was a diabetic. I feel bad but I would totally buy other non food items from them. Your shakes look so good! I am going to try the thin mint one out!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the awesome recipes - I can't wait to try them.

Also, I think that donations are a great idea - The actual troop only gets a portion of the cookie sales money but a donation would all go to your favorite troop!

Faith said...

ooooh Shelly! I was a leader for 11 years and it's great to see some guilt-free Girl Scout fare! This is so awesome and thank you for sharing these recipes with us. I'm off to Amazon to buy some more Torani syrups. A Girl Scout must always be prepared, you know!

BeckyVDU said...

Wow, and I thought I couldn't have Girl Scout cookies! thanks for the alternative! I can't wait to try one tomorrow! Thank you

Anonymous said...

I tried the Caramel de Lites version (added toasted coconut to the shake instead of on top) and it was soooooo yummy! Probably my favorite of any shake recipes I've tried so far. Even both of my kids asked me if I would make one for them! :-) Thank you for all you do. I'm sure it's time consuming, but it's appreciated more than you could ever know! Kristi

Melissa said...

Aw, what a cute post!

I was a girl scout for 12 years, too. I pimped (and ate) those cookies out like nobody's business.

Fredda said...

geez, how I remember those days of selling cookies! I have been hit up several times (by some of the ppl I love the most) and I hate saying no. Thanks for the shake ideas...I plan on trying the caramel delight one these evening!!!

Susan said...

You are a life saver!!! Those Girl Scout cookies are a major weakness for me. I have just ordered the Max protein powder you recommend because I need to make some of your sinless treats so I won't cave into my temptations. I can't wait to try these shakes. Thanks again!

Nicole said...

Thanks to Operation cookie drop you can still buy a box that gets donated to care packages for service men and women overseas.

Kimberly said...

As a fellow WLS patient and a Girl Scout Leader of three different troops, I love the recipes that I can take advantage of so that I don't feel like I am deprived of the yearly yummy experience. I also appreciate the alternatives you have given your followers. My girls rely heavily on selling cookies to earn money for field trips and camping. For the next month, we will be outside of every grocery store (non-WM's) in our area. Thank you for supporting the Girl Scouts in your area!

LiLi said...

i bought 5 boxes of cookies this year and just had the girls decide where they should be donated, not a single cookie came in my house, and I'm fine with that! :)

littlesky said...

I was a girl scout as well. Loved the peanut butter and chocolate ones. They are way better than even a reses peanut butter cup. OMG. I do buy one box. I eat a few and then give the rest to my son. It's the only way I can cope. I dump (thank gawd!!) so I can't eat too many. My son loves to get my leftovers...lol. I usually buy a box of something else and give to a neighbor or friend. If I don't get the ones I like I'm easily able to pass them up. Now i'm looking forward to the next cookie sale...lol

Jenny said...

I am going to have to try these. I was cookie mom this year, but in March I had VSG done so no more eating cookies just selling them. Next year all my money will be going to what our council calls Operation Cookie Drop.