Friday, September 24, 2010

A day in my pouch

Breakfast: I toasted the first official day of fall with a protein shake on the patio. I'm so glad I found a protein I love. I wish I would have found it the those first few months it would have made my life so much easier. I can't tell you how many I choked down before I found one I loved. It's scary how bad some are... like wouldn't give it to my worst enemy bad.

Shelly's Fluffernutter Protein Shake

8 oz. Vanilla Soy Milk (or Milk/Water Combo)
1 scoop of Vanilla Protein Powder
1 Tablespoons Sugar Free Vanilla Torani Syrup (or SF Toasted Marshmallow Syrup if you can find it)
1 Tablespoon Peanut Flour (aka Powdered Peanut Butter)
a couple of Ice Cubes
Optional topping: SF Land o Lakes Whipped Cream

Whiz in blender till smooth. Top with Sugar Free Land o Lakes Whipped Cream and dust with more Peanut Flour, optional.

Other Eggface Favorite Protein Shakes & Smoothie Recipes
More Protein Shakes on my Pinterest Page

Lunch: Yesterday's lunch was the yummy leftovers from the night before dinner. I made yet another stuffed pepper. This one had a ricotta and sausage filling. Soooo good.

Shelly's Sausage & Ricotta Stuffed Peppers

3 Bell Peppers, stemmed, seeded, and cut in half lengthwise
2 Italian Sausages, casings removed
1 Yellow Onion, diced
3 Green Onion, diced
1 cup Ricotta Cheese
1 Egg, beaten
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
1/4 cup Parmesan, grated divided use
Olive Oil for sauteing

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the peppers in a lightly oiled Pyrex casserole dish, season with salt and bake for 20 minutes. Remove peppers, drain any water that has expelled from the peppers and set aside. Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees.

Saute sausage till no pink is seen. Drain and set aside to cool. Saute onions till golden and set aside to cool. Mix ricotta, egg, seasonings, cooled onions and sausage and 2 T of the Parmesan together till well combined. Use an ice cream scoop to spoon mixture into partially cooked pepper halves. Top with remaining cheese.

Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes (until peppers are fork tender.)

Depending on the size of your peppers you may have a little extra filling. If you do sprinkle cheese on it and bake it along side the peppers. Leftovers are great nuked for breakfast with an egg or eaten on it's own.

Other Eggface Stuffed Peppers:
Shelly's Turkey Stuffed Peppers
Shelly's Philly Cheeseteak Stuffed Peppers
Shelly's Mini Cheese Stuffed Peppers
Shelly's Cottage Stuffed Peppers
Shelly's Burrito Peppers
Shelly's Un-Stuffed Pepper Casserole

Dinner: Cleaned out and organized the freezer contents and found a package of those yummy scallops from Trader Joe's and made a version of my Scallop Casserole. Except I changed the topping to those Crunchy Onions (the green bean casserole kind) and a sprinkle of Parmesan instead of Soy Crisps top and added a few more mushrooms. I liked it even better.

Shelly's Scallop Casserole

1 Cauliflower, broken into florets
1 Yellow Onion, diced
3 Green Onions, diced
4 Mushrooms, sliced
1 (16 oz.) package Trader Joe's Saucy Scallops with Mushrooms
1/2 cup frozen Peas
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
1/4 cup Crunchy Onions (the green bean casserole kind)
2 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese, grated
Olive Oil for sauteing

Boil cauliflower till fork tender. Drain. Set aside. Saute onions and mushrooms till golden. Add scallops mixture, peas, seasonings and cook on low for 5 minutes. Add cauliflower and mix to combine. Pour into Pyrex casserole dish. Top with crunchy onions and cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes till golden.

Snacks: Oodles of Coffee and 2 Black Forest Mini Protein Muffins. I took my Chocolate Mini Protein Muffins recipe and made a German Black Forest Cake spin.

Shelly's Black Forest Protein Mini Muffins

1 Egg, beaten
3 Tablespoons Milk
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Black Cherry Torani Syrup
1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
3 Tablespoons Multigrain Pancake Mix
2 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa (Hershey's is what I used, baking aisle)
1 scoop Chocolate Protein Powder
Pinch salt
12 Cherries (I used frozen, defrosted, drained of excess liquid)

Mix egg, milk, syrup and oil (applesauce or cottage cheese can sub for oil but 1 T divided between 12 muffins is really not a lot) and combine thoroughly. In a separate bowl, mix pancake mix, cocoa, protein powder and salt. Tip dry into wet and stir till combined. Pour into a non stick mini muffin pan that has been sprayed with Pam. Drop a single cherry into each muffin.

Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes, until knife inserted comes out clean. Makes 12.

Not a whole lot has been going on in my world this past week. You all know my Mum fell and I'm happy to report she's graduated to a walker so mobile once again. Yay! It's going to be a few weeks till she's 100% her leg is every shade of purple and blue you can imagine but she seems to be getting a little better each day. Thanks for the continued prayers.

It's been a difficult week. With Mum not able to get up without assistance I had to turn down a couple of catering gigs, couldn't do the Farmer's Market last week and my walking schedule was thrown out the window but now Mum is able to move a bit more life should get back on track again. I was worried I might have gained weight but actually lost a few pounds... a little stress, a few extra household chores, I guess. I did order myself the Zumba DVD set last week. I'll report back and let you know how it is. I have a weight loss surgery pal (Hi Lesley) who is now a Zumba instructor and she inspired me. I was going to go take a class but I need to see if I can do it without looking like I'm going into some sort of fit first. I love to dance but I do my own thing. I have zero coordination for routines. Soooo this should be interesting... I let you know how it goes or send pics from traction ;)

TGIF! Hope everyone has a GREAT weekend. I think this one will be much better than the last one was. If Mum is up to it I'm going to pack up a picnic and enjoy the beautiful weather this weekend. You know the saying is very true...

Weathering the ☁ storms of our life ☂ helps us value the sunny days ☼ more.

Here's to us all having sunnier days.
post signature


Deanna said...

Eggy, I have tried and tried to find that protein on your site and on Amazon, I can never find it to order it! Can you help?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Deanna, It's not available on Amazon. SEI Max Protein is available at some GNC's (it's a franchise owners choice what to carry so ask yours to get it) SEI Max is an exclusive name to GNC but the protein can sometimes be found at Nutrisports, Max Muscle, indy shops, etc. under the name SEI Ultimate (again franchise owners choice) just be sure its made by SEI lots of proteins have similar names.
You can order direct from the manufacture (they were cool enough to give my blog readers a discount that pretty much covers the shipping cost) Online link/discount info is in the blog entry

Hope you are able to locate it. It's worth the search.

Oh they also have a Facebook page you could hit them up there and see if they know of a local distributor in your area.


Deanna said...

Aw ok, I will look thanks!

Lesley said...

Thank you for the shout-out! I am going to make those stuffed peppers this weekend. I've been craving stuffed shells, but I don't eat pasta. I think this would be a good substitute!

Heather said...

I started taking ZUMBA classes and I LOVE them! Such a fun way to work out. I wear my heart rate monitor to about 45-50 mins I usually burn 450-550 calories. Great workout. Enjoy the videos!

Nella said...

YUM! I wanna try the stuffed peppers!

Anonymous said...

I have always heard that you should not have your protein powder heated above 130 degrees. Is your protein powder different that it allows you to heat it more than that?

Jackie said...

Is the Max protein suitable for pre ops during a liquid diet that requires protein shakes and in the liquid stages following surgery? I would love to try this protein for those times that are coming up! :)

leendadll said...

I'm very curious about the Zumba set. I ordered the original ones some 10 (??) years ago and they were, by far, the worst workout videos ever. I hope the team has learned something since then.

I want to take zumba classes but the only place I've found them has classes at 4:15 pm... which doesn't work too well with an office job.

Nicole said...

i simply love your blog, it is amazing that you take time to photo so many of your recipes to show us the progression from start to finish, thanks!! but i notice that you always make a lot of each recipe, what happens to all that food? i wonder b/c i have to cook for just me most of the time & i tend to shy way from big recipes...

Tammy said...

Girl, if I can Zumba, you can Zumba! I tend to resemble Elaine on Seinfeld when I dance, and this stuff works for me. It's so much fun, and you've had a great workout before you realize how much time has passed. Keep us posted on your progress! (And thank GOD my GNC carries Max. I can't live without it!)

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Lesley, THANK YOU for the inspiration!!


Heather, It looks so fun


Nella, Hope you enjoy the peppers.


Anon, On heating /cooking / freezing protein...

Does it change the texture and possible lose some grams in the heating or freezing? Maybe... but think of it this way we freeze and/or heat eggs, beef, chicken, fish, etc. (all protein sources) We don't adjust the protein gram content. A piece of sushi versus a piece of cooked fish... are you getting more nutrients from the sushi... probably... but if you look at a protein gram guide there is no adjustments made for throwing it on the grill. I personally diversify my protein sources in a day between cooked and uncooked, frozen and fresh.

That is my unscientific non-Alton Brown answer. Ask your nutritionist for the scientific one ;)


Jackie, Hit this link

for the nutritionals on the protein and bring it or email it to your Dr. my guess is he will love it... super low carb & cals and high protein.


leendadll, That is my issue too... getting across town to take one consistently. I'll let you guys know how it goes.


Nicole, Thank you! How I repurpose leftovers:


Tammy, LOLOLOL Elaine. Exactly! That is what I am afraid of. I'll give you guys an update gonna attempt it this weekend!

~K said...

Let me know how you like the DVDs...I've had them in my cart forever, but went with Glee and SF Margarita mix instead...priorities! ;)

The classes are super fun! An easy way to get exercise in. I started taking a step aerobics class, too...old school, but it works.

Those stuff peppers are one of my hubby's favs...we are going to try the philly ones this weekend.

And for anyone debating the price of the SEI Max protein, I'm here to agree with Shelly that it is fabulous! It mixes so nicely, even with plain water and you can add it to anything. Worth the splurge.


Suze said...

I'm drooling over both the peppers and the scallop casserole. No Trader Joe's here (it's a major foodie tragedy), but maybe I could do frozen (or fresh) scallops with a bit of cream of mushroom soup or alfredo sauce. Hmmmm....

Definitely let us know how the Zumba goes! I've heard really good things about it, but have never managed to find a class around here that fits my schedule. If the DVDs are good, I might look into that.

battynurse said...

The protein shake looks yummy. My recent favorite is chocolate, peanut butter, banana.
It is great to have some workable proteins. I still struggle some with the vanilla but I found one that is doable. I love the chocolate and cookies and cream from SEI. I want to try strawberry and the mint too.
You make those peppers look good. I have never been a fan of bell peppers but have found that I can eat them raw and they're fine. I may have to try them cooked again soon to see if I like them better now.

sd_bonsail_lvr said...

I made your Fluffernutter Protein Shake for breakfast this morning! OMG! To borrow a phrase from Rachel Ray, YUMM-O! Out-of-this-world d-lish!