Food of the Gods

This is currently my favorite breakfast. It is sooooo flippin' good. I know you are saying "but Eggy it's just stuff in cream of wheat right? What's the big deal?!" It is the toasting of the wheat process that gives it this... what do the cooking shows call it... depth of flavor. Yep... it's deeply delicious alright. I am hooked on it. It makes an AWESOME breakfast on chilly mornings. Keeps you full for a long time too... always a good thing.

It's a play on Sooji, a popular Indian dessert made at religious functions that is usually served as offering to the Gods in the Hindu religion. Traditional Sooji is usually made with lots of Ghee (clarified butter) and tons of sugar. My weight loss surgery friendly version has no added sugar and way less fat.

Shelly's Sooji (Indian Porridge)

2 Tablespoons Golden Raisins
2 Tablespoons Slivered Almonds
1 Tablespoon Butter
1/3 cup Cream of Wheat Enriched Farina (the 2 1/2 minute kind)
1 cup (less 2 Tablespoons) Water
1 cup Milk
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Vanilla Torani Syrup
1 Tablespoon SF Apricot Jam (I used Smucker's Simply Fruit)
Optional: 1/4 teaspoon Cardamom Powder (I'm not a fan and it's $$ so I ax it but it's more true to the Indian culture to add, add at same time as jam)

Cook raisins, almonds and butter on medium heat till butter is melted. Add farina. Cook 4-5 minutes stirring constantly with a wire whisk till farina smells nutty and gets a shade darker in color.

Pour in milk, water, syrup, SF jam. Return to boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 2 1/2 minutes until thickened, stirring frequently. Spoon into bowls (makes 2 big bowls)

I eat it as is though you can definitely add protein if you want to boost those grams. I'd mix a scoop of vanilla protein powder into the cold milk and water before adding to the pan and then continue the recipe like above.

TGIF. Hope everyone has a great weekend full of WOW moments. Stay safe east coast pals. If you want to flee Hurricane Earl, the west coast is having really good weather this week. I grew up on the east coast so I did the Hurricane thing (Hurricane Belle in 1976, my Dad almost died in Belle, falling tree & Gloria in 1984, yes they played Laura Branigan till you wanted to scream) they are scary. Sending good vibes it turns out to sea.

I'm still hurting from all that plumbing work that had to be done last month so I'm thinking of cheap & free stuff... picnic, local free event, something like that. I do have some of that mall gift certificate left that I won for peeing myself in Kindergarten ... maybe a movie? Anyone see "The Switch" with Jennifer Aniston & Jason Bateman? Looks cute. I want sweet, romantic, happy endings. Hmmm that would be nice in life too ;)

post signature