Keep on rolling...

Lots of talk in the weight loss surgery community lately about what makes a WLS success or failure...

My theory: This is a lifetime war against obesity. Surgery was just one battle. I fight battles everyday and will for the rest of my life. Anyone that has reached "goal weight" and then woke up the next day came to the harsh reality that there is NO FINISH LINE to this thing. The fight is FOREVER. Every day I am faced with choices, decisions, battles, some days I will win, some days the enemy may get the upper hand but I wake up and fight because I know what life was and I know what life is like now.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." ~Winston S. Churchill

High five to my fellow WLS pals fighting ;) Keep on keeping on... that makes you a success in my book.

In the wise words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."

My yesterday... I'm still working on that computer project. I sat on a hard wooden chair, staring at a computer screen for 5 hours straight. Needless to say my assbone was not happy. When I got home I made this yummy casserole, popped it in the oven and took off for a much needed walk in the sunshine, came home and ate.

Dinner was soooo good. I love Cabbage Rolls. They are a total old world Grandma style dish. I added some crumbled bacon because I had it and it added some more protein and great flavor but if you leave it out this would make a hearty vegetarian dish for veggie friends.

Shelly's Alfredo Cabbage Rolls

1/2 teaspoon Salt (in boiling water)
8 Cabbage Leaves (I always throw in an extra couple just in case one tears)

Filling
1 Yellow Onion, diced
2 Green Onions, diced
2 Zucchini, diced
4 Mushrooms, chopped
1/2 teaspoon Garlic, crushed
1 Tablespoon Fresh Basil, chopped
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
3 oz. Herb Goat Cheese (Chive Cream Cheese can be subbed)

Sauce
1/2 cup Store bought Alfredo Sauce (jarred or Buitoni in the fresh pasta section)
1/4 cup Store bought (or homemade) Pesto Sauce
4 slices Cooked Bacon, crumbled (omit if you want a vegetarian dish)
1 teaspoon Oregano
1 Tablespoon Parmesan, grated

Remove core from cabbage, discard dark raggy outer leaves. Gently peel away leaves. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add cabbage leaves. Cook 5 minutes. Drain and set side.

Saute onions, zucchini and mushrooms till golden. Add garlic, basil and seasonings and cook 1 more minute. Set aside to cool.

When veggies are cool add goat cheese. Mix till well blended. Spoon some filling (I use an ice cream scoop) in the center of each cabbage leaf and roll up the cabbage to enclose the filling like a burrito.

Place the cabbage rolls side by side in rows, seam-side down, in a Pyrex casserole dish.

Depending on the size of your veggies you may have a little extra filling save it it is great on a tortilla pizza or as omelet filling the next day.

In a measuring cup, mix sauce ingredients (except Parmesan) till well combined.

Spoon the sauce on top of the rolls. Sprinkle with Parmesan.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.