Cowboy Buffet

The Amazing Race finale was last night... a very big deal at my house. The phone gets shut off, the computer is off limits. I make snacks. If you aren't a fan of the show these goober names of the tidbits we ate last night will be meaningless but they are all super yummy.

My favorite team came in second, brothers Jet & Cord McCoy, a couple of cowboys from Tupelo, Oklahoma (population 377) I actually knew of both of them before the race because I am a HUGE PBR (Professional Bull Riding) fan and both brothers are bull riders. I loved their laid back cowboy attitude. It was something I need to adopt in my life.

One example, last week, the roadblock task was putting the pieces of a giant puzzle together inside a football stadium in Shanghai, China. When completed correctly the 50 or so pieces of the puzzle would reveal the next clue. The wind was gusting and after getting a majority of the puzzle together some of the cardboard pieces blew across the stadium. I would have lost it right there. Cord just calmly retrieved the pieces, started the task over, this time using folding chairs, backpacks, whatever he could find to hold the pieces in place, and said, "throwing a fit and kicking and screaming wasn’t going to help get my puzzle done." His brother Jet was the same way. Chill in the face of adversity. Ahhhh I so need some of that cowboy zen... or just the cowboy ;)

Instead of cursing when frustrated the brothers would say things like, "Oh my gravy!" In contrast, when I get frustrated I swear like a sailor who got his junk caught in his zipper.

Shelly's Oh My Onion Gravy Meatballs

10 Turkey Meatballs (homemade or I cheat and use these)
1 Yellow Onion, sliced
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Marjoram
1 Tablespoon Butter
1 Tablespoon Multigrain Pancake Mix (I use this)
1 cup Beef Broth
Olive Oil for sauteing

Heat meatballs according to package directions. I steam them in this groovy gadget for 3 minutes of so in the microwave. Set aside. Caramelize (saute low & slow) onion till golden brown. Add Worcestershire and seasonings. Make a well in the center of the onions add butter and pancake mix and cook for 1 minute. Add beef broth slowly stirring constantly. When the sauce bubbles and thickens add meatballs back to pan, stir to coat, and simmer on low till heated through.

and in honor of the cowboys staying smooth (pudding) despite bumps (cowboy crunch topping) in the road...

Shelly's Cowboy Crunch Pudding

Batch of Sugar Free Jello Instant Pudding (Butterscotch flavor)
Batch of Shelly's Cowboy Crunch Topping
2 Sugar Free Almond Roca or English Toffee candies, crushed

Make pudding as directed. 1 package will make 4 (1/2 cup) parfaits. Pour pudding into parfait dishes and allow to set till firm in the fridge a few minutes. Top with crumbled Cowboy Crunch Topping and a sprinkle of crushed SF Almond Roca.

Shelly's Cowboy Crunch Topping

1/2 cup Graham Flour (health food store, bulk bins, Whole Foods type stores or online)
1/2 cup Vanilla Protein Powder
1/2 cup Oatmeal, dry
1/4 cup Nuts, chopped (I used Pecans)
1/4 cup Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Vanilla - on sale now)
1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Tablespoon Canola Oil

Mix crust ingredients together (hands work best) and press onto a non stick cookie sheet that has been sprayed well with Pam non-stick spray. Bake at 350 for 13 minutes. Allow to cool. Break apart. Makes a great topping for Greek yogurt, SF pudding, custard, protein ice cream, and fresh fruit.

We also had Elote Corn.

Oh I just have to share these knife, fork, and spoon holders I made from the pockets of some of my size 28 pre-op jeans (the ones too used to donate) I just pulled the pockets off and sewed them together. They worked out perfectly for my cowboy theme with a bandanna napkin.

Other things to do with your pre-op clothes.