Sunday, September 20, 2009

Pumpkin Spice

I was lamenting over Starbuck's not carrying Sugar Free Pumpkin Syrup and not being able to have my beloved Fall treat the other night when I thought ehhh who needs Bux. I'll make my own and like anything homemade it's waaaay better...

Shelly's Iced Pumpkin Spice Latte

About 6 oz. of Strong Brewed Coffee or Espresso (I used this)
2 oz. or so of Milk (I use Vanilla Soy)
2 Tablespoons canned Pumpkin Puree (not pie filling)
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Vanilla Torani Syrup (on sale now)
Land o Lakes Sugar Free Whipped Cream
dash of Pumpkin Pie Spice

Mix puree & syrup together till well combined. Brew coffee (I used a short K-cup draw but cold brew would work or just double strength coffee) pour over ice. Pour in puree mixture hold back enough for drizzling over top. Add Milk. Top with Whipped Cream, a dash of pumpkin pie spice and the remaining drizzle of pumpkin mixture.

Davinci makes a Sugar Free Pumpkin syrup but errr it's more like a spice than pumpkin frankly I couldn't tell it was pumpkin at all. This puree and SF Vanilla syrup combo is so much better and you get the added yummy benefits of the pumpkin (Vitamin A, beta carotene, potassium,...)

High temps this coming week are supposed to reach 107°F. No, that wasn't a typo. Kill me now. You know I'm going to be downing these Iced Pumpkin Spice Lattes and cranking out the Protein Ice Cream to survive.

Anyone in a cold area have room on their couch for me?


Karianne said...

Feel free to crash on my couch anytime, it's in the lower 70's F here. But i'll be off to surgery in a week or so.. so no cooking in my house what with the pre op diet. But a week of hot can be handled, you must be used to it isn't it those temps with you guys in south california all summer?

Hope you'll be allright, just keep the cool stuff coming!!


Tammara, Jess and Cory said...

Love this dring at Starbucks thank you for posting your version will be making if for desert tonight.

Steffi said...

Did you know that Torani now has Sugar Free Pumpkin Pie syrup. I bet it would be great in your drink!!

mary brockmeyer said...

I love your Starbucks alternatives... were you affected by the fire - stay safe...

Kathy said...

Anytime you want to come to CT for a trip and enjoy the cool days and nights feel free. It's the least I can do for all the great recipes I have learned from your site.
Thanks for all the great things. Keep on cooking, Kathy

ItsMoiRach said...

OMG Shelly! I totally just went to Starbucks today (prior to seeing this blog) and asked if they had SF Pumpkin syrup.....because I was going to buy it lmao.....They told me no :( I said well i'm sure Egg face will have a recipe on here for a pumpkiny drink......guess what??

YOU DO! yay!

Connie said...

I don't have a couch, but you can crash in my recliner anytime you want to visit the grand state of Maine. I wouldn't advise a visit between December and March, though, unless you own long underwear!

Anonymous said...

I've never been a fan of pumpkin anything, but I sure do heart iced I might have to give this a try! Strange that it's that hot in SoCal, but not here in OK...usually just the opposite. It's been raining and in the lower 70's here for about 3 weeks. Feel free to come crash on the couch LOL you can take a cat home with you too LOL I have 3 that need new homes!

kareninflorida said...

DaVinci makes a SF pumpkin pie syrup but I haven't tried it. I like the idea though of using pureed pumpkin because its got some nutritional value to it. But good luck finding pureed pumpkin right now! I've been searching for it at my local grocery stores, but to no avail. You'd think this close to the fall holidays, they'd stock it. I'll have to wait for my pumpkin fix for a few more weeks I guess. (sigh) Can't wait to try your recipe!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hope you guys enjoy it! I had 2 yesterday ;) Love.

I've tried the Davinci Pumpkin Pie Syrup = FAIL. Doesn't taste like pumpkin at all. More like spice.

Interested to taste Torani's. Torani's are always better tasting. They have fewer flavors but are always spot on. TY for the heads up Steffi.


Michelle "Shelly" said...

LOL TY TY TY for the invites... I'm so not looking forward to this week of heat. Trying to come up with cold foods and think of places to escape with AC... movies, mall (without my purse of course)


Constance said...

Now, this sounds godly. I'm going to make it later, I just got a magic bullet blender. Now now to hire you as a gourmet chef consultant (though I should hehe) do you have any suggestions for juicier drinks, like ice + sugarfree or no sugar added juice, or juice like protein drinks?

cschoen said...

I have a chai tea latter protein shake nearly every morning and have been adding pumpkin puree for about a year. First, I love the flavor, but it also adds some fiber to the whole thing. Very yum!

Connie said...

I forgot to mention this last night, but Green Mountain Coffee Roasters makes a pumpkin spice coffee in K-cups. I LOVE it! Since you obviously have a Keurig brewer, I thought I'd mention it.

Canticles said...

I am so doing this tomorrow morning with my cold brew!

Anonymous said...

OMG these are amazing! I had 1 yesterday and 2 today mmm mmm mmmmm!

I brewed some pumpkin spice coffee, used vanilla syrup and added nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger spices. I'm zooommming from the caffeine rush so I continued to make the pumpkin spice cake (applesaue instead of oil, just as moist yummers) and pineapple souffle are in the oven for this weeks breakfasts! thanks Shelly you're amazing!!!!! :)

Barb said...

Hi Shelly,
I make my own version too. When I brew the decaf coffee, I use 1/4 cup of Torani SF Pumpkin pie syrup with the water. Then I sprinkle about a 1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice in with the grounds, and let it brew. When it's done, I add a few spinkles of SF French vanilla powdered creamer...BETTER than SB. LOVE ALL of your recipes!!!

Anonymous said...

I tried this (my own little twist for a hot drink) the night you first posted it. I have had a few more since then, and my 11 year old son, who is an amazingly talented cook, loves it as well. He had it with his breakfast two mornings in a row. I threw together, from you recipe help,
*1 small cup of strong coffee from my Keurig
*2 oz. Milk mixed with 2T canned purée pumpkin heated in
Microwave for about 30 seconds
*2T SF vanilla Torani syrup
*large pinch f pumpkin pie spice
*dash of cinnamon (because I'm a cinnamon freak ;)

Kept it hot, and it was wonderful!
Thanks Shelly :)

BTC said...

I can do you one better: you can use my guestroom and guest bath ANY TIME (near Chapel Hill, NC)!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

LOL I just might take you up on that one day! :) Thank you.