Thursday, August 20, 2009

Who needs Carvel?

Shelly's Protein Ice Cream Cake

You need:
Stainless Food Ring
Protein Ice Cream
Sugar Free Cookies (I used these)
Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Vanilla)

Amounts will vary based on how big a cake you make.

Crush Sugar Free Cookies and add enough SF Syrup to make it clump. I needed about 8 cookies and 1 Tablespoon of Syrup. Place food ring on a plate. Fill base with cookie mixture and press to cover bottom (about 1/2 to 1 inch high) I'm thinking protein bars would work for the base too.

Fill with Protein Ice Cream you get right out of the machine (soft serve stage)

Cover with plastic wrap and freeze till hard.

Unmold. I used a warm (nuked 20 seconds) damp dish towel to warm sides and the ring just lifts off.

Decorate if desired. I nuked some Sugar Free Hot Sauce and went to town but you could use fresh or frozen fruit or nuts. My cake made 4 big wedges. Great for a post-op birthday celebration.

The Protein Ice Cream flavor I used...


Shelly's Vanilla Bean Protein Ice Cream

1 cup Vanilla Soy Milk (or Regular Milk)
2 scoops of Vanilla Protein Powder
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Vanilla Jello Pudding Mix, dry
2 Tablespoon Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup (on sale right now)
scraping of 1 Vanilla Bean

Mix together milk, protein, pudding mix, bean scrapings (little black seeds inside the bean) and syrup. I used this gadget to mix it up. It makes it airy and lump free. If you don't have one just toss it in a blender on super high. You want it fluffy almost double in size. Pour into ice cream maker. Follow your machine's instructions for freezing. You can eat it right away it is soft serve-ish (use for Protein Ice Cream Cake making) if you want scoops put it in the freezer to set for an hour.

I made a double batch. When you double protein ice cream don't bother doubling the protein. Supposedly we only absorb so much and the rest would be a waste ;)

More Eggface Protein Ice Cream flavors

15 comments:

Fab Kate said...

reading your blog has made getting an ice cream maker a "must-have" for me!

Meg said...

THAT is what I want for dinner tonight.

Do you have a good brownie recipe? I made a batch for the kids this afternoon and it was everything I could do not to sample. I resisted the inevitable sugar migraine, though.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Kate, You will have a blast with it!

***

Meg, Me too :) I'd get on the Splenda site and check for one... brownies are hard. I used storebought (link in blog)

~Michelle

Meg said...

Found 'em! I'll have to give those a try...and yes, it's that time of month. LOL Think they'd work OK with whole wheat flour instead of soy? Our only health food store is waaaaay on the other side of town. LOVE the midwest!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Yay good deal Meg. Yeah use whole wheat or spelt... soy four is a flour you can't sub for white flour 1:1 you can only use it in combination with another flour & 1/4 cup max.

~Michelle

Anonymous said...

I love love love this blog and am so glad I found it. I tried to make my first ice cream tonight with 50% success. I made mint chocolate chip...or attempted to. LOL. i have the cuisineart 1 1/2 quart machine and added the liquid ingredients...the machine stopped at 20 min and seemed stuck. I tried to get some of the ice cream off the white plastic thingy and what i noticed was that there was a lot of ice cream frozen to the sides. What did i do wrong?? I ended up with only a scoop or 2 of salvageable ice cream. And...how do i get the frozen stuff off the sides??? i love this and know I can do it with practice...probably just a bump on the ice cream road. Please help Shelly!! Thanks in advance.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Awww TY for the lovely compliment.

Protein Ice Cream Making Success Tips:

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2008/08/key-lime-pie-protein-ice-cream-and-tips.html

Most important... 2% or above fat content in the milk. Pour cold ingredients slowly into a moving machine.

Hope this helps,
~Michelle

Anonymous said...

Ok Shelly....tip #5..pour your ingredients slowly...i think that's where i goofed. i poured it in and left for a bit to find my dry ingredients. so i'm guessing that's why it stuck to the sides and froze. well, there's always next time and there will be. Thanks for your guidance. Now, how do i get it off the sides?? just wait for the cyllinder to warm up??

thanks again. I am kitchen challenged!!

MY name is Stephanie ( i just can't seem to get it to accept my aim)

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Steph, Sorry I missed that part... don't use anything but plastic spoons in the cylinder mtal will scratch it. Wet a dish towel and nule it for 20 seconds (the towel) wrap it around the outside of the cylinder... or just leave it on the counter and it will melt ;)

I did the same thing first few tries... also some how double batches seem to stick less for me... but a tiny amount always sticks a bit... I eat it LOL tastes for the cook I call 'em.

~M

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Err Typos: Metal will scratch and Nuke not nule... hehe

rArE_jEwLz said...

Shelly, your page is a Godsend! I had surgery June 11th and I have been struggling with what to eat and cook. At times I would look in the refridgerator and have a high anxiety with no relief. Thank you so much for sharing this info with the world. I see that I'm going to be a life long fan.

Chelsea's Mom said...

oh so tempting!! I have to tell you, my friend Katy made a batch of the protein donuts and brought 4 of them to me at our swim class (well, after the class). I shared one with a friend and hogged down the other 3 myself!! DELISH!! Love your ideas and your recipes. I seriously hope you are going to publish a book soon. I have little slips of paper with recipes on them all over my house!! LOL! Thanks!

RP said...

My tip for ice cream sticking to the sides and bottom: spray with pam first.

works like a charm.

p.s. i used a metal spoon to dig out the stuck stuff. yep, it's scratched, but doesn't seem to be hurt in anyway. I use only plastic now.

I'm so been enjoying my daily healthy ice cream serving all summer.

I ordered Max protein powder the other day. I was able to use your discout code, shelly. Thanks so much for providing that to us. It makes a big difference.

Molly said...

Maybe it is a good thing I don't even know what a Carvel is but who cares when there is this divine dessert inspiration from you! Now I know EXACTLY what I want for my next birthday 'cake'. Thank you so much, Shelly!

Mandolin said...

I have had issues with my ice cream sticking on the sides, too. The paddle is drawing it up from the bottom and freezes solid within just a few minutes (less than 5, I'd say) and my maker won't move. I finish stirring it with a flat wooden paddle till it's soft serve-y, freeze what I can and then wait till I can scrape the sides with the same wood paddle. Will try the Pam, though. Thanks!