Friday, August 28, 2009

Cheesy Bites

If you aren't familiar with my "Bites" I have 40 or so different versions both meat and vegetarian. Think crustless quiche.

They make a great weight loss surgery friendly breakfast, lunch, dinner or party appetizer! One of the first things to go on a buffet... kids love them too 'cause they are so darn cute! They freeze well. Defrost in fridge & reheat in oven or toaster oven. Can be microwaved too. Oodles of protein and super yummy!!

Yesterday's super yummy lunch...

Shelly's Italian Cheesy Bites

1/2 cup Italian Blend Cheese, shredded
1/4 cup Ricotta Cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
5 eggs
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
1/2 teaspoon Pizza Seasoning
1 Tablespoon Fresh Basil, snipped
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients together. Spoon into lightly greased (Pam works great) mini muffin tins. Bake for 30 minutes at 350. Makes 24.

I served the Bites for lunch with a Mixed Green Salad with tomatoes I picked from the garden still warm from the sun and topped with my Bacon Yogurt Dressing. Tastes like a BLT. Mmmm.

Shelly's Bacon Yogurt Dressing

3 oz. Fage Greek Yogurt
2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
2 slices of cooked Bacon (leftovers from breakfast are great for this)
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper

In a mini food processor (A post-op MUST have) whiz dressing ingredients till smooth. Makes enough for 2-3 salads. Makes a great dip for veggies too.

More Eggface Bites


chpdlivr said...

When school starts, these are a staple for me. I make one kind almost every week and keep them in the frige in the teacher's lounge for breakfast. Everyone is sooooooo jealous!! I have everything in the house for these!! I was on a protien pancake kick earlier in the week.
Love, love, love your site!!

Cris said...

Hey there! I just discovered your blog and have to tell you all these recipes look amazing! I am only 4 weeks post op and can't wait until I get on real food so I can start cooking some of them! My question though is some of the portion sizes in these pictures look awful big, especially the bento boxes. I can't imagine eating all that. Man, I never thought I would hear myself say that! Is what is pictured one serving? Maybe it is because I am still so new, plus I had the sleeve that it looks impossible? Just curious how much you eat of each recipe. Oh, also, on these cheesy bites, do you use fat free, 2% or regular cheese? Still learning all the ins and outs of my new tool! Thanks for sharing your experience. Love this site!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thanks Pat! They are tasty little suckers LOL. A post-op staple for em too.


Hey Cris, So glad you are enjoy the blog. TY for the Q...

At 4 weeks I couldn't imagine eating more than the 3 or 4 tablespoons I was getting down either... seems crazy but life does get more "normal" now by normal I mean "new normal" Pre-op I was having dinners for 4 where I was the only guest if you get what I mean... HUGE portions.

I eat about 1 cup sometimes less of food a day now (3+ years out.) This really will depend ono your Dr's plan for you... my Dr said 1 cup by 1 year and beyond. I stick to it.

The Bentos are usually 1 meal and a snack or enough for 2 people if it was taken on a picnic, beach, etc.

Hope that answers the portion stuff...

I do not use fat free anything every. Full fat here. If your Dr/Nut says Fat Free do what he says. My theory on Fat...

I eat full fat (cheese, mayo, butter, dressings, olive oil, etc.) Fat = flavor. I eat it in moderation (thanks to my pouch) if I ate Reduced Fat or Fat Free (aka nuclear waste) I wouldn't be satisfied and in an hour I'd be thinking about my next meal. I started those first few weeks on FF/LF and I thought there is no way I can live like this. So I eat the yummy, lip smacking, real deal stuff so I never feel like I'm on a diet or suffering in my new life. I needed doable all my life. Hell I can suffer through anything for a period of time I drank cabbage soup for weeks, shot orange oil out of butt (Xenical) and starved myself for periods of time. I can do that but that is why I had weight loss surgery to get OFF that roller coaster ride.

Best wishes to you on your journey! So glad you are reading. I appreciate it!


Cherryl said...

I just made the Cheesy Bites tonight. My husband and I love them. Can they be frozen or do they do better just being in the frige?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Cherryl,

SO glad you guys enjoyed them! I keep them no more than 3 days in the fridge or they get frozen. Either way they are fine... sturdy little suckers LOL. If you freeze, defrost in fridge & reheat in oven or toaster oven for best results, or you can nuke.


Beverly said...

I can't tell you how much I look forward to your blog posts!

Ramona said...

Any idea on the protein content per serving? I'm so excited to make these for breakfast! Your recipes keep my food from getting boring!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Aww TY guys. I hope you enjoy them.


Hey Ramona,

I don't put the nut info on my recipes because... nutrition facts can vary so widely... on my plan I use full fat cheese, full fat mayo, butter, olive oil, others may use low fat cheese or horrors that non fat toxic waste LOL, what percentage % fat of beef, etc. Plus serving size can vary what I eat as an almost 3 year post-op is a very different amount than a 3 month, 6 month, or 4 year post-op. The numbers would swing like a pendulum. I wouldn't want anyone to be steered wrong.

What I do when I need to find the nut info is go to type in each individual ingredient I used, you are given the totals for fat, protein, carbs and I divide by the # of servings I get from the dish.

I understand sparkpeople and some other sites will give you nut info too but I've not used them.

Shannon said...

I cant wait to make these bites. I have tried a few of your others and LOVE them. My husband really likes the French Onion bites. I do have a question though. How long do you think they are good for? I have a batch in my fridge and they are about a week old. I had made a double batch and thought they would get eaten right away but I ended up getting a fill (Lap band) and cant eat solids for a few days.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

So glad you guys enjoy them! I use them within 3 days or I freeze. They reheat great from the freezer. Defrost in fridge & oven or toaster oven (even nuked is ok)