Monday, July 20, 2009

What's the plan, Stan?

I think one of the most important things you can do as a weight loss surgery post-op is Plan Menus.

Here's why I plan:

Planning helps me make sure that I have a good balance of protein, fats, carbs. For example I wouldn't have a Tortilla Pizza on a day I ate Oatmeal for breakfast. I'd be pushing my personal carb limits. With a plan in place I can see something like that before it happens.

Planning helps me make the best choices. By having a plan in place I rarely get caught in the "crap grab." "Crap Grab" happens when you are hungry and have no plan. You grab any old crap that is around ;)

Planning helps me use leftovers wisely. I don't like waste and when I sit down and plan a day (or two) in advance I can figure out ways to use food in the most cost effective way.

Planning helps me not overeat. I know if I'm eating something that is not on my "menu" for the day (last minute invite to lunch, having a hungry day, popcorn at a movie) that I am eating extra... something that can either be dealt with with a little longer walk or later in the week with a lower calorie meal choice.

Starting out:

When I was first starting out on this journey I made a list of 3-4 Breakfasts, 3-4 Lunches, 3-4 Dinners and 3-4 Snacks that worked well for me post-op and I just rotated those for awhile. Slowly I added a few more new menu items and now... well you know I eat oodles of different things each week.

I plan a day or two advance nothing more than that. I write it down because that is the only way I will remember. My short term memory is well ummm short. I try and do it faithfully. Every once and awhile I come home late, too tired and I say, "Ehhh I'll just figure it out tomorrow" and sure enough the next day the "crap grab" begins and I find myself eating way more than I should have. Not a good thing.

So I plan.

Here's what I ate yesterday...

Breakfast: Shelly's PBJ Protein Smoothie (yesterday's blog entry)

Lunch: Shelly's Fish Taco Salad - Tortilla Crusted Tilapia, Mixed Greens, Homegrown Tomatoes, Shredded Cheese, Spicy Yogurt Dip.

Shelly's Spicy Yogurt Dip

3 oz. Fage Greek Yogurt (I use 2%)
1 teaspoon Mayonnaise
a few splashes of Cholula Hot Sauce (or your favorite)
a dash of Southwest Seasoning
Kosher Salt to taste

Mix together. Great to top Taco Salads or use as a dip with veggies or soy crisps.

Dinner: Shelly's BBQ Chicken Tortilla Pizza - Mission Brand Carb Balance Whole Wheat Fajita Size Tortilla topped with BBQ Sauce, 2 Naked Chicken Nuggets cooked & sliced, Sauteed Red Onion, Monterrey Jack & Cheddar Cheese, a sprinkle of Steak Seasoning

Snack: Shelly's Strawberry Cannoli (I had 4)

and yep I know what I'm having tomorrow ;)

This is just my 2.5 cents (.5 for inflation)

I am not a weight loss surgery expert just another post-op trying to fight the daily battles against obesity and come out a winner for life.

Eggface Thoughts on Snacking
Eggface Thoughts on Fear
Eggface Thoughts on Exercise


Chelsea's Mom said...

You are so good! I need to be more committed to a plan because I am suffering from the crap grab big time! Why is it that crap seems to digest just so easy, but the good stuff seems to either be difficult for me to prepare, or difficult for me to 'swallow'? Ugh! But your posts have been life savers for me. I use a different recipe at least once a week! Thanks for all the tips and the great recipes!

Mandyjorose said...

HI Shelly!
This is the first time I am posting, but i have been reading your blog for a long time now! Thank You so much for posting this...I always have the problem of grabbing whatever is in reach- I have 2 jobs and busy...blah blah..but after reading this today, I am going to make a plan every week so I can stay on track! Your recipes are delicious and so helpful and I always look forward to reading what you have to say! You are an inspiration to me!

Maria's WLS Journey said...

Hi Shelly!,

I was fortunate enough to meet you @ the Obesity Help event in Los Angeles last year when I was researching having wls. I've been following your blogs ever since. I'm now 1 month out from the Gastric Sleeve procedure and doing great. I've used your blog as a resource for menu ideas and have planned out my meals as soon as I was allowed food post surgery. Thanks for sharing your journey and paving the road for the rest of us to be successful. My husband is also a big fan of your recipes too !


Sarah said...

Shelley - thanks for this... I lurk on here every day looking for new recipes and really appreciate the work you put into this and the opportunity for us other WLS folks to share in your knowledge! Tried the Artichoke Squares this weekend... YUMMMY!!!! And good suggestion on the menu. I need to get better about that.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelly, just a great thank YOU from a grateful NYer...I read your blog every day, make your incredibly delicious recipes and try to follow your recipe for would be so hard without Eggface!!!...Shelly, YOU ROCK! Thank you, Scorpmama

Lisa Oliva said...

I so need to plan more! Thanks for the inspiration and 'nudge'...

Anonymous said...

What is your personal daily carb limit? I try to balance mostly protein, some fat and a small amount of carbs into each meal, but I don't really count. Just curious what the number you try to stick to is.

Thanks so much for all the recipes and tips. I am almost 13 months out with 135 pounds down! 40 more to go!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Carb limits will vary based on lifestyle... you run around after kids, hardcore work out, very active job you will need more. I have a sit down computer job, no kids so I aim for 25% complex carbs daily.

I'd suggest consulting your nutritionist on what is best for you.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Thanks guys! Hope it helps :)


Bonni said...

Hi Shelly, I am three weeks post op today. Just thought I would mention a product I found today at the supermarket. Its called "Veggie Pulled Chick'n" by gardein. Its pretty good. Have you tried any of their foods? I'm doing ok although I only have been able to get an once of puree protein down at a time.Thanks so much for your web site it has been such a big help.

Miss Cali Zaftig said...

Shelly, your blog is so bloody fabulous, thank you SO much. You've been incredibly helpful. One question I have is: when you're planning your meals, are you just working with what you've got in the house or are you making a shopping list and shopping every few days, or do you go every day, etc? I'm trying to get a handle on my planning vs cooking vs shopping for what I need. Thanks!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Bonni, Thanks for the heads up I will look for it.


Miss Cali, Thank you. :) Glad you are enjoying the blog.

I go to the Farmer's Market on Saturday and I buy my fruits & veggies and I find I go to the supermarket teice during the week... I could cut this to once but I go through soymilk quickly between ice cream/shakes and the store is right around the corner. I also pick up a few things at Trader Joe's once a month or so... cheeses, pesto sauce, etc.

I actually enjoy food shopping... I like to read labels and see what is new. I know I'm a goober ;)

Hope this helps,

ArielaBrand said...

I would be ever so grateful (can't offer you my first-born, though) if you could post your weekly menus. This seems to be the most difficult thing for me. I can't wrap my mind around the "planning" and "organizing".
Thanks for all your wonderful recipes and advice.

Crisna said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog!!! I'm a little over 3 weeks out from RNY and have found your blog to be so useful!! You have so many great recipes and ideas!! Thank you for posting everything!!!! :O)

Clara said...

Thank you so much for keeping such a supportive and informative blog. My gastric bypass surgery is scheduled for August 3, and I've looking online over the past months for useful information from those who've been through the WLS experience. Your blog is definitely a keeper!

grammijae said...

I'm with ArielaBrand. I am horrible at putting together menus. I have always been one to follow menus. Please, please could you post some of your weekly menus for us to get a handle on how to do it?

thesugarmonster said...

I'm two years out and struggling. Part of my 2010 goals are to start planning my meals. I have no idea what I'm doing most of the time and just randomly grab junk and eat it. I feel almost as out of control now as I did before surgery. Thank you for this entry!