Monday, April 6, 2009

Fudgy Chocolate Balls

Had a major craving for chocolate last night. Probably those aisles of Easter candy in every store. Just 3 short years ago I would have devoured one of those damn bunnies or eaten half (errr maybe more) a bag of Pepperidge Farm Sausalito cookies. I was strong and made up a batch of these. They came together in no time flat and gave me my chocolate fix in a healthier way.

It makes 30 quarter-sized balls... notice there's only 29 pictured. Mmmmm. I couldn't resist.


Shelly's Malted Milk Fudgy Chocolate Balls

1/2 cup Almond Butter
1/2 cup Malted Milk Powder (w/out sugar added)
1/2 cup Chocolate Protein Powder
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Vanilla)
Optional Sliced Almonds for garnish

Mix all ingredients until they form a crumbly, sticky mass.

Roll into balls. Refrigerate till firm.

If you like these... you'll love: Shelly's Espresso Protein Truffles


Please send prayers to the people of L'Aquila, Italy. At least 50 are dead after a devastating earthquake. A sad and scary reminder to have a family emergency plan and supplies ready.

8 comments:

Dana said...

I made something similar to this and I love it and even passed the teenager test! But adding the malted milk will make it SOOOO close to one of my favorite Easter treats, malted robin eggs. I don't know where to find the malted milk powder in stores...Is that available at stores or only online?

Still a BIG fan of your site...read you daily and LOVE your recipe ideas. You are a tremendous encouragement to us out here in blogland! Keep it up lady!! :)

Leslie said...

Hey Michelle!

These look good, but I'm not a fan malted milk. Can you think of anything to substitute!

Happy Easter!

Leslie

KimmyGee said...

I think I'm gonna cry -- tears of pure joy! I love malted milk and recently found that Carnation ORIGINAL (not chocolate) Malted Milk Powder does NOT contain added sugar. With that knowledge and this recipe..well..welp..sniff..sniff...I can't even type!! Thank you WLS Eggface Easter Bunny...I just wuv you xo

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hope they fit the bill Dana.

***

Leslie, Try Nonfat Dry Milk maybe.

Hope you love 'em,
~Michelle

Denise B. said...

I ended up using chocolate/peanut butter protein powder and regular peanut butter in place of the almond butter. Not bad! How long will these keep in the fridge?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Sounds yummy Denise. Well yours will last probably longer than mine... I'm using Almond Butter with no preservatives. If it's jarred PB they are full of them. I wouldn't worry you'll eat them before they spoil I'm sure ;)

~M

Kierie said...

Could I use PB, NF dry Milk or maybe cocoa powder and the choc protein.
Would Cocoa work instead of nf dry milk?
Also have you made them without the choc for either a vanilla or PB cookie?
I know there are Magic pb cookies but they're a bit too sucralosey tasting

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Nonfat dry milk would be fine. Try the malted milk though... soooo good.

~M