Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Cool Product Alert: Rachel's Cottage Cheese

I heart trying new products so when I spotted these cool looking single-serve cottage cheese cups at the supermarket this weekend I had to grab a few.

You gotta hear these flavor choices...

The sweet ones
Pear Mangosteen (130 calories) - Loved it
Pomegranate Orange Cranberry (130 calories) - Loved it
Lemon Verbena Berry (140 calories) - Really really loved it

The savory ones
Sun Dried Tomato Pesto (130 calories) - Loved it
Cucumber Dill (110 calories) - Yet to try
Roasted Red Pepper (110 calories) - Yet to try

The 411: Rachel's is a brand out of the U.K. She makes yogurt too.

The cottage cheese has no artificial sweeteners, colors, flavors or preservatives, and is made from “rBST-free” milk.

I found them for $1.49 at Henry's (Wild Oats.) Here's the product locator to find a store that carries them near you.

Nutritional Facts (Rachel's Cottage Cheese - Lemon Verbena Berry)

Serving Size (142 g)
Servings Per Container 1
Calories 140 Calories from Fat 25
Total Fat 2.5g
Total Carbohydrate 12g
Sugars 10g
Protein 15g

Verdict: Yum. So far, so good. I tried 4 out of 6 and they all rocked. Little Miss Muffet never had curds and whey this cool. Be sure to stir them up... like those "fruit on the bottom" yogurts all the "good stuff" is down there. These have a ton of nutritional bang for the buck (low cal, low fat, high protein) they would make an awesome snack or meal for us weight loss surgery peeps. I'm thinking a killer breakfast would be one of my Roasted Pears topped with a dollop of Rachel's Pear Mangosteen Cottage Cheese. Ohhhhh yeah.

Look for 'em.


txspatter said...

You are my HERO! Thank you for sharing and caring about folks who are looking for new adventures in taste! The site gets better everyday!!

Fab Kate said...

yummy... they look pretty good. Back when I was (much) younger they used to have cottage cheese mixes like this... I remember especially loving cottage cheese and chive and cottage cheese and country vegetable. I don't remember the company that put them out, but they also had cottage cheese and pineapple. They weren't in single servings through.

So where did you find these? I'm going to have to look around for them :)

Michelle "Shelly" said...

txspatter, Awww Thank you for that lovely comment. It made my day. Hope you find it in your area.


Hey Kate,

I found them for $1.49 at Henry's (Wild Oats.) There's a product locator on the Rachel's site (link in the blog entry) to find it hopefully in your area. If they don't carry it near you ask because it's pretty new to my store.


emily said...

Michelle, you are so awesome!!!

I've seen the Rachel's yogurts before, and the flavors sounded delicious, but it wasn't nutritionally worth it. I'm so excited to hear about cottage cheese. I just recently fell back in love with cottage cheese - I had never really eaten it with fruit before then, and now it's a morning staple.

Definitely time to go back to Whole Foods. (as if I don't have enough excuses to go already!)

Alaska Family said...

I love reading your blog....these look so good and I was shocked when I did a search that the safe way here in north pole carries them. I will have to make a trip out there to get a few!

LAFoster said...

I found them at Super Target in our area. I tried the cucumber dill and it was pretty good.

♥ Dee ♥ said...

*peeks through fingers*

What's the sodium on them?

Patty said...

I am so stoked I did the locator for this and they have it here in Texas @ our local HEB store. So cool! Can't wait to try them.
Thanking you for all your product reviews and recipes. I follow you on twitter and on the OH site. You are an inspiration to all of us weight loss surgery people. God Bless ya.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

odium content will vary from flavor to flavor... guessing savory will be more than sweet (just a guess though) here's the link to the manufacturer's website and detailed nutritionals on the products. Click on each flavor for the info.

Hope that helps,

Linda Sommer said...

I will have to look for these. They look great. Also I must tell you. Thank you. I just go an ice cream maker and wow I'm amazed. It is so good. Thank you.

chpdlivr said...

I have 4 flavors in my frige....found them at Whole Foods here in Mpls. Thanks, Shelly. You are the bomb!!

Jenn said...

Did you like cottage cheese before? I can't stand it and am wondering if this will change that...

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Jenn, Ha. No I hated it... I mean please... cottage cheese when I could eat my weight in mashed potatoes and pasta ;) You do change. It's amazing I haven't eaten pasta in almost 3 years and do not miss it at all. ~M

Tammara, Jess and Cory said...

I have these on my grocery list they will definetly be in my fridge on Saturday. Thanks again for another great post.

Julie McMican said...

I used your product locator and was excited that they were at a nearby grocery store, but when I got there to buy them I noticed that the fruit kind have 10 grams of sugar. I am 4 weeks out and I was told that anything over 5 grams per serving could cause dumping. Is this only true in the beginning? Or are those natural sugars, or what? I did try the cucumber dill one and it was pretty good, but not worth the extra cost over plain. I was really looking forward to the fruit ones.

Michelle "Shelly" said...


All sugar is not created equal (and won't cause dumping equally) added sugar is different from milk sugar (lactose) and fruit sugar (fructose) which are included in that #. Confirm with your medical posse but you shouldn't have trouble at all with these :)


Erica Graziosi said...

I found these at the store yesterday. I bought two and will be trying them out soon!! I hope they are good...will give me another choice for breakfast besides my Chobani greek yogurt!! Thanks for the tip Michelle!!


Sabyl said...

Thank you for this post. I was so excited to see 4 of the flavors at my Raleys since Rachel's website did not indicate the carried the cottage cheese. The cucumber dill is my favorite so far!! I am so sad they don't carry the pomegranate orange cranberry though and will have to request it as I love all three of those things and they sound divine together.