Sunday, November 9, 2008

Ladies who lunch

Went to Nordstrom's Cafe the other day and had a yummy salad. I came home and recreated it.

This would be great for lunch with any of my "Bites" aka crustless quiches. A very girly girl meal. Save this one for a Mom visit or lunch with your girlfriends. Don't feed this one to the guys. Most guys just don't get putting apples and goat cheese in a salad. If they do, start asking questions.

Shelly's Chicken, Apple & Goat Cheese Salad

Mixed Greens
Roasted Chicken Breast, chopped (I used a store bought rotisserie)
Goat Cheese, crumbled
Green Apple, sliced
Red Onion, sliced
Apple Chips
Sliced Almonds
Store bought Champagne Vinaigrette

Toss first 5 ingredients together. Top with almonds, apple chips, and desired amount of vinaigrette.

You can buy the apple chips but I made my own. I know... how flippin' Martha Stewart of me?! Remember I suffer from insomnia and am always looking for 3 AM projects.

Shelly's Baked Apple Chips

1-2 Apples, cored, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
1 cup Unsweetened Apple Juice
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 250. Pour unsweetened apple juice into a pot. Add cinnamon and bring to a boil. Use a sharp knife or mandolin slicer to slice apple into 1/4 inch slices. Add to boiling apple juice. Return to a boil and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Lift apple slices out of apple juice with a large slotted spoon. Place slices on paper towels to absorb excess juice and pat dry. Spread slices into a single layer on wire cooling rack.

Bake 30-40 minutes. Remove from oven when slices are golden brown. Cool. Store any leftovers in an airtight container. These would be great as a topping on Sugar Free Torani sweetened Fage yogurt.

Highlights of the day:

* Farmer's Market. My haul: Baby Asparagus, Baby Eggplant (gonna roast them and make a dip I think), Red & Yellow Onions, Mushrooms, Garlic, Raspberries (5 Minute Chocolate Cake with a Raspberry Sauce maybe), Mixed Greens, Pluots, tons of Apples (so many varieties I love the Fall), My Mum's Bread.

* Took a long walk tonight. Just me and my iPod. Contemplating life. Good tunes. Crisp Fall weather. No cosmic answers were discovered but it was still nice.

* When the drugs kicked in. Cramps from hell. Ovaries in a vice grip. Not a happy girl. Finally gave in and took something.

Listening to: "Innocent" David Cook


Blueberry Muffin Queen (Jenn) said...

That salad looks SOOOOO good.

I will definitely jot down the recipe to make at some point.


tara said...

mmm... now that looks like a salad I could get into. What brand was your champagne dressing?

Barb Del Piano said...

How cool is that....that you made your own apple crisps? I NEVER thought of that. I would usually head to the store, but now that Eggface has showed me the way I am going to save the trip (and the gas money!!)I am so sorry that you were in pain. Glad you finally broke down and took something. Hope it helped ease things. I know your recipe's easy my pain!!


Debbie Y. said...

I wonder if the goat cheese would hurt my stomach? I guess I am gonna have to try it and see. I'll let you know.

Michelle "Shelly" said...

I used Nordstrom's Champagne Vinaigrette bought a bottle at the cafe but I have used Girard's before (they also have a light version if you do light)

Hope you guys enjoy it!


Panda66J said...

Hi Shelly,

I found your blog a few months ago, and I've wanted to try some of your recipes (I'm not a very good cook). I live in Texas so it's really too hot to turn on the oven (even in November).

I decided to try the protein souffles yesterday. I made them in the crockpot with coffee mugs. They turned out really good.

Anonymous said...

I was looking for a way to email you. I have a request and it may be somewhere on your blog. My husbands step mom just had gastric by pass thursday and I am hoping to have mine next week waiting on insurance..anyway..with Thanksgiving coming up I thought about making us some kind of Turkey soup since we will be on liquids still. Do you have any recipes and if not do you think your brilliant cooks mind can come up with one. I was thinking broth from turkey and some greek yogurt to glob on top of the soup...but this off the top of my head...any suggestions? Thanks.


Paula said...

Hey Shell! I am at my mom's house in Wisconsin and it seemed the perfect, cold, day to boil apple slices and make some apple crisps. The whole house smelled like apple pie! I baked a batch, then decided to be creative and put the rest of the slices in my mom's dehydrator. Hadn't thought of that. But the baked ones came out AWESOME.. thanks for the recipe!