Sunday, August 3, 2008

Key Lime Pie Protein Ice Cream and Tips


Shelly's Key Lime Pie Protein Ice Cream

1 cup Vanilla Soy Milk (or Regular Milk)
2 scoops Vanilla Protein Powder
1/2 a packet of Unsweetened Lemon & Lime Koolaid (those little 10 cent packets)
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Vanilla)
4-6 Sugar Free Lemon Cookies, (I used these) broken into pieces

Optional topping: Land o Lakes Sugar Free Whipped Cream and a sprinkle of Toasted Unsweetened Coconut

Mix together milk, koolaid, syrup and protein. I used this gadget to mix it up. It makes it airy and lump free. Pour into ice cream maker. Follow your machine's instructions for freezing. 5 minute before done add the cookies (faux crust) You can eat it right away it is soft serve-ish but I like to put it in the freezer (in a Tupperware) to set for an hour or so.



Eggface's Protein Ice Cream Success Tips:

#1: If your Protein Powder tastes like a monkey's ass as a shake it will only taste slightly better than a monkey's ass as ice cream. The additions (like SF pudding, SF syrups, fruit, etc.) and freezing help but you really need to start with something you somewhat like. Keep sampling different powders I finally found one I love. It took me 8 months of taste testing lots of stinky gack. You may think mine sucks. Protein is an individual thing. Don't love yours? I suggest you put less than 2 scoops in to minimize the monkey's ass factor.

#2: Freeze your ice cream maker cylinder. I won't name names (your secret is safe) but I got a message from a reader who was upset when her Protein Ice Cream attempt did not yield ice cream after almost an hour of churning in her machine. After some discussion we realized she never froze the cylinder. Yeah that won't work ;) 12 hours in the deep freeze seems to work for me.

#3: Froth your milk. I use a cup of milk but that little frother doohickey I use makes it double in bulk. If you don't have one whiz it on turbo or something in a blender. You want it frothy.

#4: Use 2% or above fat content (I use soy milk) the fat in milk is what will make ice cream anything below that and you are going to get a more ice milkish or sorbet product... still yummy just different.

#5: Add your cold ingredients to a moving cylinder sloooowly. Don't pour them in and then turn it on. Your stuff will freeze to the side and lock up.

#6: Get it out of the machine promptly (with a plastic spoon) and transferred into a Tupperware container. Freeze 1 - 2 hours for scoopable. After that it will harden. Nuke 25 seconds to return to scoopable.

#7: Add your goodies in the last few minutes not earlier. Adding stuff too early makes the machine lock up or pulverizes whatever you are adding.

#8: Want to figure out the nutritional value of this or any other recipe???

Go to fitday.com

Go to a new day and enter YOUR ingredients (your milk choice, protein powder, and additions will vary in nut value from brand to brand)

Take those totals and divide by the # of servings you get. # of servings you get will vary too. If you add fruit which is bulky and you'll get more servings than say nuts or SF pudding.

#9: Experiment... you can't go wrong. Take your favorite protein shake/smoothie recipes and dump them in the machine. Yummy stuff will come out!

20 comments:

paige said...

Just let me say that I love your blog!!! Today I fixed your Mexican Beef and Bean Casserole, Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole, Roasted Veggies and crab casserole... and I'm getting ready to make the blueberry ice cream!!! I tried several recipes last week too and so far everything has been great!!!! I've been hoping you would post a keylime recipe!!! Yippee!!

Flying Sarah said...

Now there's a new BJ flavor...Chunky Monkey Ass. Yummy!!!

Melting Mama said...

SLUUUUUUUUUUURP.

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle!!!
Yeah, the protein powder I bought yesterday at GNC.... tastes like monkey ass!!! LOL ~ I can't wait for my YUMMY protein to arrive in the mail!!!

Doris :o)

DCY said...

The taste of monkey ass is about what I have come to expect from protein powders, but my husband said he liked the protein ice cream. I will be making more now since "Mikey" will eat it.

Susy said...

thanks for the tips!

Aims said...

Shelly, Going to buy my ingredients today for your KLP ice cream, and I am sooo giddy ~ it is truly my FAVORITE flavor! Thanks for being such a GREAT inspiration to us!

MICHELMOBA said...

HAHAHAHA - shelly, you crack me up! I think my first batch hit a few of your NO-NO's 1) I added all the cold ingrediants BEFORE I turned the machine on...after 10 minutes the machine made a sad noise & stopped AND 2) the vanilla protien powder I used does taste a bit like monkey ass! I prefer the GNC PRO PREFORMANCE WHEYBOLIC EXTREME 60, which is what I use for chocolate, but since I dont own vanilla - I took 2 scoops from my son's Vanilla Egg Protien Powder, who doesnt care what it taste's like (in fact - he mixes the powder with water). Ironically, after I passed on the ice cream (due to taste) - I gave it to my son & he ate the WHOLE BATCH!

-mush not mish

morbidly obtuse said...

OH MAN! Thanks for the key lime ice cream recipe! I love lime!!! I'm so excited to try some of your recipes! I'm still looking for an ice cream maker though!

The last one I had, the little steel canister, that holds the ice cream, rusted because of the salt water...any way to avoid that?

erin said...

I don't have any comments about monkey ass tasting powders, but do have a question about the Torani syrup....I don't have it, so what can I use in place of it??? And hey....I am SO LOVING THE PROTEIN ICE CREAM!!! :)

new_stacy said...

Oh my stars, I just made ice cream using Muscle Milk powder (OK, maybe monkey belly button?), milk, sugar free praline syrup from Target, and a little decaf instant coffee dissolved in a little hot H2O. I've been really missing my former frappucinos at Starbuck's. This turned out delicious, but now I understand your tips! I turned on the machine and went to tuck in my kids, who of course dawdled and delayed, and so when I came back to it, it was frozen to the sides and the stirring paddle is all twisted. this is my life! Thank you so much for your willingness to share! I was getting so so tired of my protein options...

troutbird said...

Wowowowowow! Thanks so much for the entire site, but as a 2 week out RNYer thanks especially for the protein ice cream. I still can't figure out how to measure my initial ingredients to allow for the "overage" of the stuff that sticks to the bowl and will NOT come out for love nor money...so I'm getting one serving and maybe another 1/2 out of each batch. Hate to waste that much protein powder...any suggestions? Oh -- and I just made a great batch: SF choc pudding mix, PB2, skim milk and Biochem protein powder. To die for. Well, maybe not THAT good. But really nice.

Anna said...

Shelley,
I just started making the protein ice cream (love the cuisinart by the way!) Have you ever used actual key lime juice in the ice cream or in a custard? I am a huge fan and wondered if you or anyone else had taste tested that one.

Anonymous said...

Just a really silly question... will Almond Breeze work as the milk for these recipes? Thanks!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Not a silly Q at all... answer is: I'm not sure but I don't think it will. Here's why... lack of fat content. You need 2% or above even lowfat soy won;t really work... it freezes but it's more like ice milk not ice "cream."

jheffington said...

We often use almond milk (unsweetened) and it works pretty well, but is not as creamy, to be sure. Also be aware that the SF pudding mix we have used needs REAL MILK and will not work with almond milk - chemistry, I suppose. Sometimes we add whipping cream to skim to make ~2%. Unsweetened almond milk requires more splenda or sweetener for our taste. Taste it before you freeze it.

Artemis Crock said...

Could you use some fat free greek yogurt and still have it be creamy? Or would it be icy?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Milk fat content works best at 2% or above. I have not tried Greek yogurt but I dare say it would be the same... so I'd avoid 0%

Anonymous said...

Help please! I purchased the frother "dohicky" you recommended but no matter how long I use it on my liquid ingredients, it barley adds volume and certainly NEVER doubles in bulk as you recommend in your instructions. How long you you froth? What am I doing wrong? PS: I am using whole milk for my ice cream... could that be the problem?

Michelle "Shelly" said...

No it actually should in theory work better with more fat... those doohickeys work by adding a lot of air... when you use it pull up just to the surface of the milk (don't come up higher or you will wear it) sort of a lifting motion as you blend it to create volume... the only other thing I can suggest is... I once used one of those that I bought (thought I got a great deal) at a discount store it was $3 or something like that and it did not have the same power as the better ones... so no lift. If that's the case... toss the mixture in the blender... and hit the super high button for a second or 2. I hate dirtying another piece of equipment but... it will work :) Double batches work best too FYI.