Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Savory Pancakes - Potato-less Potato Pancake Recipes (Latkes)

Say that 3 times fast. I usually make a sweet version of Cottage Cheese Pancakes for breakfast but instead I used plain cottage cheese and some savory herbs and spices and came up with a faux latke or potato pancake. These are great as a side with soup.

Bariatric Surgery Weight Loss Surgery Breakfast Appetizers Dinner Recipes Hanukkah
Shelly's Potato-less Potato Pancakes

1/2 cup Cottage Cheese
1 Egg
3 Tablespoons Multigrain Pancake Mix
2 Tablespoons Chives, snipped
1/2 teaspoon Onion Powder
1 Tablespoon Fresh Parsley, chopped
1/4 teaspoon Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper

Whiz in mini food processor. Spray pan with non-stick spray. Cook on low till bubbles appear, flip. Cook till done. Serve with sour cream. Makes 4 small latkes (pictured) or 8 silver dollar size.

Some variations:

Replace chives with dill. This would be a great side with fish. Omit salt and chives and add instead a tablespoon of grated parmesan and chopped basil serve with a dollop of ricotta cheese. Mix a little creamy horseradish and sour cream and top latkes with a dollop and some sliced smoked salmon.

Serve for breakfast with an over-easy egg.

You can replace cottage cheese with ricotta cheese (or 1/2 & 1/2 too) I do those often ricotta makes them (sturdier for appetizers) and "sandwiches."

Some other Eggface Savory Pancakes... 

Bariatric Surgery Weight Loss Diabetes Low Carb Friendly Breakfast Lunch Dinner Appetizer

Shelly's Ricotta Pancake Breadless "Sandwich"
Shelly's Savory Onion Mini Ricotta Pancakes with Smoked Salmon
Shelly's Bruschetta Pancakes
Shelly's Savory Onion Ricotta Pancakes (larger size)


7 comments:

Bette said...

These look great! Trader Joe's low-fat sour cream is wonderful, by the way.

Do you ever publish calorie counts with your reicipes or know of a good site to count the nutrients?

Thanks for your blog!

Michelle said...

Hey Bette,

Thanks. When I want to figure out the calorie count I enter each individual item in fitday.com and then add those up and divide by the # of portions I get from it. It's not perfect but it's pretty close. It's hard to do accurate nut info because I use full fat stuff and some people use low or no, etc.

Hope this helps,
~Michelle

Elizabeth said...

Amazing taste! I can't wait to make this my new Hanukkah tradition.

Michelle said...

So glad you enjoyed them Elizabeth. :)

Anonymous said...

So yummy! Just made them for lunch. I put a dab of sour cream and some SF applesauce on top. Thanks so much for sharing!

:)Christy

SunnySusan said...

Shelly~~
I just finished eating 2 of these fabulous pancakes. I put cilantro in because I didn't have parsley. Awesomeness. I did have a fried egg with it to up my protein. I will have to try the Chocolaty ones next. Thanks so much for sharing your gift of cooking with us.

Anonymous said...

You have just made this Jewish girls night! I have been wanting to try these since forever and have had a heck of a time finding the pancake mix but went to a store I don't normally go to yesterday and I finally found some! I made some for dinner tonight and I have always liked a dab of lite french onion dip on my potato pancakes (my Bubbe/Grandma got me started on it as a kid!) since you've already got the onion and chive thing going, why not!? Thanks Shelly for another great recipe!