Post Weight Loss Surgery Menus: A day in my pouch

My yesterday in post weight loss surgery eating.

Breakfast: I made a batch of these yummy muffins. They take less than 15 minutes to whip up from start to mouthful o' muffin. I had a ton of errands to run so I threw 2 in a baggie and was on my way. They make a great on-to-go breakfast or to have as a snack when I go to Starbucks with pals since they have nothing in the bakery case for us.


Shelly's Mini Ginger Apple Protein Muffins

1 Egg, beaten
3 Tablespoons Milk
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Gingerbread Torani Syrup
1/4 of an Apple, grated
1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
3 Tablespoons Multigrain Pancake Mix
2 Tablespoons Almond Meal
1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
1/2 teaspoon Ginger, ground
Pinch salt
a few toasted Almonds for the top

In a measuring cup mix egg, milk, syrup (FYI: SF Gingerbread Torani is included in this great holiday set), grated apple and oil (applesauce or cottage cheese can sub for oil but 1 T divided between 12 muffins is really not a lot) and combine thoroughly. In a separate bowl, mix pancake mix, almond meal, ginger, protein powder and salt. Tip dry into wet and stir till combined.


Pour into a non stick mini muffin pan that has been sprayed with Pam. Optional: Place a few toasted almonds on top of each muffin. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes, until knife inserted comes out clean. Makes 12. They freeze well. Wrap in plastic and toss in a freezer Ziploc. Defrost in fridge. Keep several days (if they last that long) in the fridge.


Lunch: Came home and assembled a few tidbits. Cold Cut Roll-ups (Turkey & Swiss), sliced Tomatoes sprinkled with salt & oregano, Almonds, Hummus to dip everything in. I love lunches (or dinners) like this I call them "carpet picnics" because I usually eat them sitting on the living room floor watching TV.


Cool Product Alert: I've purchased the little classic version cups in the past but these are even cooler. Tribe Hummus Snackers Variety Pack: 4 individual cups in 4 different flavors (Classic, Roasted Garlic, 40 Spices, Roasted Red Pepper.)


I love hummus but I can never decide which flavor to get. I usually go with Roasted Garlic then add my own stuff to it, which is yummy but not that convenient when you want a grab and go snack. These are perfect for picnics and bento lunches. Local peeps: I found them in the deli department refrigerator case at Henry's/Sprouts. Maybe hit Tribe up on Facebook and ask them where to find it in your zip code. Tell 'em you saw it mentioned on www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com I think the variety pack is new, it's not even listed on the website yet (just the Classic & Roasted Garlic 4 packs.)

Dinner: A little Middle Eastern -ish, a little Greek -ish. I skewered boneless, skinless chicken breast pieces (tenders), swiped them with a little olive oil, sprinkled them with a little Greek seasoning and BBQ'd them. I served them a mint yogurt dip and this yummy side dish.



Shelly's Spinach and Chickpeas

1 Yellow Onion, diced
1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
1 pound-ish Fresh Spinach
1 (4 oz.) can Diced Mild Green Chilis, drained
1 head of Roasted* Garlic
1 (15 oz.) can Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans), rinsed and drained
1/2 teaspoon Za'atar
Salt to taste
a few twists of Black Pepper

Roast* garlic, remove roasted cloves from head of garlic and whiz with green chilies till paste is formed. Set aside.

Saute onion till golden. Sprinkle cumin seeds on top. Cook for 1 minute. Add spinach. Cover and cook till wilted. Add garlic chilies mixture and chick peas. Cook for 15 minutes, covered on low stirring occasionally. Season with salt, pepper and Za'atar.

Shelly's Mint Yogurt Dip

3 oz. Greek Yogurt (Plain, 2%)
1/2 teaspoon Za'atar
1 Tablespoon fresh Mint, chopped
dash of Salt

Mix together till well blended. Great for dipping chicken skewers or veggies.

Snacks: A Sugar Free Vanilla Soy Latte from Bux while I was out and about and a Honeycrisp Apple with a little dab of Peanut Butter nuked for dipping for dessert.



More days in my pouch