Monday, January 5, 2009

Perfect days

Made a batch of this for tonight's dinner...


Shelly's Chicken & Chickpea Salad

About 1 1/4 cups of so of leftover Rotisserie Chicken Breast, chopped (tuna, canned or smoked or leftover salmon works well too)
1 can Chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans or ceci) drained and rinsed
1/4 Red Onion, diced fine
1/2 Cucumber, chopped
20 Grape Tomatoes, halved
the contents of one head of Roasted Garlic*
2 Tablespoons Store bought Pesto Sauce
2 Tablespoons Store bought Balsamic Vinaigrette
1/4 cup Feta Cheese, diced
1/4 cup Olives, chopped
a handful of Pine Nuts
1/2 Teaspoon Kosher salt
a few twists of Black Pepper to taste
1 Tablespoon Fresh Parsley, chopped
1 Tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice

Combine everything (except parsley & lemon juice) in a bowl, and chill for at least two hours before eating. Just before serving toss in parsley and lemon juice. Can be served as is like a salad, in a lettuce, tortilla or lavash wrap, or in a half of an avocado or tomato.

My favorite way to eat this salad is out of a Tupperware container while sitting on the beach watching the crashing waves of the Pacific Ocean. That's a perfect day to me. Well... add a cool person to share it with and a Sugar Free Cinnamon Dolce Soy Latte then it's PERFECT.


*How to Roast Garlic: Using a knife, cut off 1/4 to a 1/2 inch of the top of cloves, exposing the individual cloves of garlic. Place the garlic heads in a muffin pan or garlic roaster. I love my garlic roaster. Drizzle a couple teaspoons of olive oil over each head. Sprinkle with kosher salt.

If you aren't using a garlic roaster: cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 325 for 45 minutes or so (take the lid off for the last 15 minutes), it's done when the cloves feel soft when knife is inserted.



Highlights of the Day:

* Second favorite way to eat this salad is on a picnic bench at the lake near my house. So that is the plan for dinner tonight and then walk around it a few times. I have a few new tunes loaded on the iPod that should get me going. It's gonna be chilly tonight (lows in the 30's) so I'll need to get the blood pumping.

The gazebo at the lake after dark...


* Little finches have invaded my yard and are quite comical to watch. Especially enjoying watching them take dirt baths in my herb garden when I wash dishes.

* Had a blast last night at coffee. It was nice to catch up on everyone's lives. It's always fun when people haven't seen you in awhile too... the OMG's and all. Those kind of WOW moments get fewer and fewer as you get this far out.

Listening to: "The Tracks Of My Tears" Smokey Robinson & The Miracles. Gotta love Smokey.

11 comments:

Flying Sarah said...

Ahhaa, looks like I made a chickpea lover out a certain eggy!

dianehh68 said...

Yummy salad! I am trying to recreate the Antipasto salad from Bucca...wow! I need one of those salad chopper thingies.

Do you get goldfinches? If so, find an upside-down feeder. They are about the only finches that can feed upside-down and it is so neat to watch. They have yet to discover my feeder at my new abode.

Jennifer Miller said...

This looks ridiculously yummy... I might have to run off and buy all the ingredients for tonight!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shelly,

love your recipes, but wondering how you calculate the calorie and protein per serving and what is considered a serving size.

Thanks for your input!
:)

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hi, Well it depends... I'm 2 1/2 year out and can eat obviously more than someone say 4 months so serving size should be determined by your medical posse's recommendations.

You can figure out calories to any recipe (mine or others) by going to a site like fitday.com typing in each individual ingredient, add those totals and divide by the # of servings you get from the dish.

Nutrition facts can vary so widely... on my plan I use full fat cheese, full fat mayo, butter, olive oil, others may use low fat cheese or horrors that non fat toxic waste, what percentage % fat of beef, etc. The numbers would swing like a pendulum. I leave that up to you.

Hope this helps,
~Michelle

Amy from MN said...

Hi Shelly! Two questions...1) Do you have the nutrition counts for this salad and 2) what is a lavash wrap?
Looks yummy!

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hi diane,

You know I'm not sure. I need a local bird guide. I'm happily getting a lot more lately though.

***

Hi Amy: Lavash (Middle Eastern bread) like a tortilla. Trader Joe's carries a whole wheat version. I don't eat it on my plan. I do make them for my non-op friends this way though.

I will do tortillas (Mission carb balance only) or lettuce wraps. Generally I just eat it as is.

Nutrition answer above.

Hope that helps,
~Michelle

Lauren said...

I saw your chicken and chickpea salad while I was at work yesterday and ran right to the grocery store for the ingredients....i whipped it up last night to bring into work to share with my coworkers tomorrow. I kept taste testing all evening...its delicious. I'll have to let you know how it goes over with my coworkers! Today is my 2 month surgiversary and I'm down 50 pounds...I eat your recipes all the time and have truly enjoyed eating as a post-op! Shelly, thank you from the bottom of my heart!!

Anonymous said...

I saw this recipe when you first posted it back in January and just made it for the first time tonight. All I can say is YUUUMMMYYY..what have I been missing!??! I think it's going to become a regular lunch around here!
Thanks for the recipe!
Nicole

Food for Thought said...

I'm waiting for my surgery date and cruising through your amazing recipes. I'm Sicilian and thought that I'd never be eating that way.

Thank you SO much again and again!

My biggest worry is getting in all the protein and without your wonderful ideas I think I would be overwhelmed.

You are such a wonderful source for support and encouragement.

Francesca

Anonymous said...

Not sure how I missed this one as I follow your blog diligently but made it yesterday and it is definitely going on my favorites list. It was so good that my son devoured most of it as I discovered when I went to have some today! Love the recipes that work for everyone - thanks for sharing!