A weekly round-up of tidbits, tips, ideas, news articles, random cool things...
1. This spoke to me today...
Something happened to get us to the point we needed the helping hand of weight loss surgery. Abuse, trauma, death, divorce, illness, emotional or physical pain, disappointment, we all have something (some of us have many somethings) but with hard work and "shedding the old." We can change our story. xo.
2. Nom nom nom. When you want a crunch of a chip these Bare Fruit Apple Chips are a great healthy snack alternative. It made me want Fall to begin. Apples, pumpkins, cooler temperatures, casseroles, cozy sweaters.
Ingredients: Organic Apples, Organic Cinnamon. Bake, Dried. Perfect with this protein packed dip...
Shelly's Cinnamon Apple Chip Dip
3 oz. Greek Yogurt (I use plain, 2%)
1 1/2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Brown Sugar Cinnamon Torani Syrup
2 Tablespoons Vanilla Protein Powder
A dash or 2 of Cinnamon
Bare Fruit Cinnamon Apple Chips for dipping
Mix yogurt, SF syrup, vanilla protein (any, I used Celebrate Vitamins Vanilla Cake Batter ENS) and cinnamon together till well combined. Add a dash more cinnamon on top. Serve with Cinnamon Apple Chips.
3. Some articles I read this week that were worth checking out:
Many Obese Americans Struggle With Stigma, Discrimination
Thin Is In For Executive Women: How Weight Discrimination Contributes To The Glass Ceiling
Weight-loss surgery results in positive changes in social life, medical conditions, research suggest
Modern Technology Adds to Worldwide Obesity Woes
Diet frozen dessert products have up to 68% more calories than labels promise
and speaking of discrimination and stigma, the story that made my blood pressure jump a few notches...
Woman outraged by doctor’s refusal to see obese patients (original story)
Doctor Turns Away Obese Patients (a follow-up)
I commented on the threads and this is basically what I said...
"This is serious and potentially deadly behavior that is NOT ACCEPTABLE in the medical community. This kind of discrimination, bias, and stigmatization can lead to obese patients avoiding preventive health services and exams, cancer screening tests, pelvic exams, mammograms, follow up appointments. I have been both morbidly obese and normal weight and have felt the difference in treatment first hand. It is SAD and WRONG. Since 34% of Americans are obese chances are one of them is your Mom, Grandma, Pop, Uncle, Best Pal, Child. Consider what the effect of this behavior in the medical community could mean to YOUR loved ones life. Also given that 67% of Americans are obese or overweight, this doctor and any others who chose to discriminate better start to learn how to effectively treat and provide medical care to patients affected by obesity or they may not have many patients to treat."
Positive thing to come out of this: those in her area can spread the word to beware.
4. Heads up on another great product: Krave Jerky. I've eaten a lot of jerky in my post weight loss surgery days. It's a low fat, low carb, protein packed snack that holds up well traveling. It's readily available at most gas station mini marts. I like it when I go camping. I like it alright but I have never craved jerky. Till now. When I read the slogan "Krave is jerky elevated" I thought, "Yeah, yeah, sure it's jerky" but... it's true. This is gourmet, artisanal, made in the Sonoma, California wine country jerky this is not your typical gas station, club/warehouse store jerky. This is the jerky for people who think they hate jerky, this is the jerky for people who love jerky, this is really really good jerky.
Listen to these flavors...
Krave Chili Lime (Natural Beef) – Reminded me of a Thai dish I ate once. Back of the throat heat but not too much. Delicious.
Krave Basil Citrus (Natural Turkey) – If you love Basil you have to try this, like something my Sicilian Grandfather would have made in the old country.
Krave Lemon Garlic (Natural Turkey) – This is the one I thought I wouldn't like and it was my ultimate favorite. Bold garlic with a slight citrus zing.
Krave Smoky Grilled Teriyaki (Natural Pork) – Like a really good bacon with brown sugar sweetness.
Krave Garlic Chili Pepper (Natural Beef) – This one was the most like a traditional jerky but kicked up with a heat that lingered but in a good way.
The website mentions a few other flavors a Curry Beef, a Pineapple Orange Beef and a Sweet Chipotle Beef but I did not try those. For specific nutritional info (all the different meats had different stats of course) hit up the Krave website. They are nitrate, hormone and artificial flavor free. Lower in sodium than most. Of course, I had to do a side by side taste test.
Verdict: Seriously I thought all of them were awesome, super moist and flavorful but if I was on a deserted island I'd want a treasure chest of Krave Lemon Garlic Turkey Jerky with me. Soooo good. It will be in my post-op pantry from now on. Looks like you can order online direct or from amazon. They even have a jerky sampler box you can get delivered on a monthly basis or check out the product locator for a store carrying near you. Check out Krave's twitter and Facebook page and tell them Eggface sent you.
5. Be sure to check back on Sunday when an EGGCITING new giveaway begins!