Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A day in my pouch

My post weight loss surgery day in eating. The Easter Sunday edition.

I took an early morning walk. The weather was awesome. I had thought about doing a traditional Ham dinner but I really wasn't looking forward to having several days of ham leftovers and being trapped in the house cooking and then cleaning up. I'm so glad I decided against buying one. We did a picnic lunch instead and later a simple dinner. It was a blast. It might be a new tradition.

Breakfast: These are delicious and the cereal gives them a yummy nutty crunch...

Shelly's Butterscotch Crunch Ricotta Pancakes

1/2 cup Ricotta Cheese
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Butterscotch Instant Pudding Mix, dry
1 Egg
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (any flavor SF Vanilla, Caramel, etc.)
3 Tablespoons Multigrain Pancake Mix
1/4 cup Grape Nuts Cereal

Whiz all ingredients (except cereal) in mini food processor. I use whole milk ricotta, if you use part skim, drain first. Spray pan with non-stick spray. Cook on low till golden, top with a sprinkle of Grape Nuts, flip, pat flat, cook till done. Serve each pancake with a drizzle of warm Sugar Free Maple Syrup, SF Jam or Marmalade or Fruit. Makes 4 small pancakes or 8 silver dollar size.

These can be frozen between slices of wax paper or kept in the fridge a day or 2 and reheated (nuke 25 seconds) for breakfast during the week. Surprising good cold too. Leftovers usually get some SF jam, almond or peanut butter smeared on them, wrapped in foil and they become a great breakfast-on-the-go.

More pancakes

Lunch: Took my super cool bento to the park. I made the same bento for Mum but she also had a little bakery treat in her mystery bag.

Our yummy lunch...

Pink Box (top left): Shrimp Cocktail - Cooked Shrimp, Lemon (in the little blue container) Cocktail Sauce
Green Box (top right): Sliced Cucumber "Crackers" for my cheese
Blue Box (bottom left): Shelly's Strawberry Cannoli
Orange Box (bottom right): Provolone Cheese

More Bento lunches

The park was hopping... tons of families on the peddle boats, walking in pretty dresses and Easter bonnets, a Hawaiian dance troupe was practicing hula dances and the male warriors did chants. Very cool, unexpected, free entertainment... made me want some Kona coffee, macadamias and maybe a hot cabana boy to bring them to me ;)

Went home. Watched movies. Made dinner...

Dinner: Crab Cake (Costco) on a bed of Mixed Salad Greens with Feta topped Broiled Tomatoes and a storebought Vinaigrette.


Shelly's Feta topped Broiled Tomatoes

Tomatoes
Feta
Oregano
Salt and Pepper
Optional: Pesto Sauce

Slice tomatoes and place on a foil lined baking sheet. Top with crumbled feta (goat cheese is great too) a dash of oregano, salt and pepper.

Sometimes I drizzle them with pesto sauce. Broil in oven till Feta is lightly golden.

Snacks: A Sugar Free Vanilla Soy Latte, no whip from Bux and one of my Sugar Free Coconut Nests (an Easter tradition at my house) and the head off a SF Peep.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend!

post signature

12 comments:

Courtney Sandhu said...

I wish I was as motivated as you to create and cook every meal. I'm having a hard time with what I eat. I need a live in chef.

Irma B said...

Hey Michelle, it seems you had a great Easter (and your mom)! Love traditions too!
I've ordered the bento as well, they can ship it to the Netherlands, yeaaaaah! I'll have to wait for 2 more weeks, but then I will be joining picknicks (at work/in the garden) too!

Best regards from the Netherlands,

Irma B

Azmomo2 said...

Just wanted to let you know you have me totally hooked on greek seasoning now! Thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your success! You are a huge inspiration to me. I have not had surgery, nor am I morbidly obese, but I did have a baby 4 months ago and thanks to my bundle of joy have around 40 lbs I want to lose. I HATE dieting with a passion because I am such a foodie at heart, but your site makes it so fun to eat healthy! I look forward to keeping up with you and trying all of these delish recipes!

Ashley

CJ - Food Stories Blog said...

Love the feta topped broiled tomatoes. Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

Tried making the ricotta pancakes with white chocolate sf pudding mix and some finely chopped macadamia nuts. I had to add a little more of the pudding mix & vanilla flavoring, but once I got it figured out, they were a really big hit. I served them to my Hubby after he returned from a long bike ride in the rain. He said they were perfect for helping him warm up, and he loved the flavor! Thank you!!

Melissa Y. said...

made the ricotta crunch pancakes and OMG - mouthgasm!!!! SO EFFING GOOD!! thank you!!!

Drive it like you STOLE it!! said...

My daughter ate every last bite of her pancakes this morning and I usually have to threaten her within an inch of her life to get her to eat more than 2 bites in the morning (of anything not smothered in Nutella)! Oh...I licked my plate clean for sure too, of course. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I had RNY 2 months ago and have a really hard time finding foods that agree with my new pouch...My nutritionist told me about your blog yesterday, and after reading some of your posts, im so excited to try some of these recipes! I can't wait to try the Strawberry Canoli...yuuummmy! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge with this desperate newbie!

Many Blessings...Sharon R

Denise H. said...

Love your flowered lawn chair Shelly!

jan said...

My daughter found your site....I'm still jumping through hoops to get the surgery...afraid, sure that I can't do it. Then I know I can, then I can't. See-saw. Thank you for your honesty...for putting it out there. Spending a lot of time on your site, looking, reading learning. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I just made these pancakes, they where a hit for family. Thanks!