Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Alien Invasion

Oh how I wish I could tell you my little blogging hiatus this week was a romantic getaway with a hottie oil Baron... no such luck. Sometime on Thursday I started to feel cruddy. You know that "Uh oh, I think I'm getting sick" feeling... achy, headache, overall crappy feeling. I popped some Tylenol and went to bed early. The next morning I felt pretty good. I had a plan to mow the lawn (aka weeds that have taken over my lawn) We had several weeks of rain and now we're in the middle of a little heatwave 70's and 80's so the lawn was getting scary, strange weeds and flowers from the neighbors yard are taking over any grass I once had. I mowed it and the plan was to hit Lowe's and figure out what I could spread on it to help the grass win the battle for the yard. So I mowed the front and at about the halfway mark of the back I was feeling cruddy again. I finished but I was super woozy and my head was pounding. I wiped down the mower, came in took a shower, tried to do a few things but it was no use... sweating, nauseous, pounding head, I curled up in a ball in bed and that is where I have been for the past few days. Aliens took over my body and threw a great big rager. The low-lights: No solid food would stay in my body for 3 days. I don't remember much of Saturday. Sunday, I felt like I had gone 12 rounds with Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, and George Foreman combined.

Yesterday, I started to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I can't really do the typical BRAT thing (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) considering 2 of the 4 things I don't eat post weight loss surgery (no rice, no bread) and applesauce never sounds appealing when I'm sick. Someone explain the applesauce thing to me please... apples go right through me normally so tell me how applesauce will help when I can't keep anything in me?! Don't get that one at all. Anyway... so that left bananas and I figured some good bacteria in yogurt might help so I made myself a Banana Lassi. I sipped it slowly and it went well. So later I had another and after the third I felt brave enough to try some Fish and sliced Cucumbers in yogurt sauce (Tzatiki-ish)... that went well too. Thank goodness.

Ways you know I was really sick... no coffee for 4 days, no Farmer's Market, I was barely on the computer (I apologize for the 413 and counting unanswered emails)

My favorite things while I was sick... Sunbeam Electric Throw (a Christmas gift from my Mum), Cottonelle Aloe & E Toilet Paper (TMI), Romantic Comedies, and my Banana Lassi creation...

Shelly's Chocolate Banana Lassi

1 cup Vanilla Soy Milk (or Regular Milk)
3 oz. Greek Yogurt (I used plain 2%)
1/2 frozen Banana
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Chocolate Pudding Mix, dry
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (SF Vanilla, Almond, Chocolate all work great)
2-3 cubes of Ice
1-2 Tablespoons Almond Meal/Flour (optional)

Whiz in blender till smooth. After the first one went well I added Almond Meal/Flour (which is just finely ground almonds: Meal = skins on, Flour = skins off) to the mixture to start preparing myself for food again. I started with 1 Tablespoon and then added a little more to make it a little heartier.

So I'm here, emerging from this alien invasion. Testing the waters slowly, trying to regain some strength, and saying hello to my cyber pals. Hello. I missed you. Get your flu shot because you don't want whatever this was.

post signature

29 comments:

T2Nashville said...

I wondered where you were! And I'm sorry you went through this, but also glad you're on the upswing. My Mom had it a couple of weeks ago - it's a nasty thing! Continue to feel better! We missed you!

nicole said...

glad to hear you are on the mend... the whole BRAT diet has gone out of vogue with pediatricians, eat what your body wants... THAT is the way to health my friend.... xxoo~nicole

Michelle said...

Oh man! I hope you recover quickly! The banana lassi sounds delish. Sorry about the lack of oil barron though.

Nikki said...

Glad you are better. I wondered what happened to you. I look each day what recipe to make of yours. You have really helped me find my way.

Karen said...

Oh dear, I'm so glad you are feeling better now. Maybe hire a nice looking lawn-boy, one that will double as a cabana boy!!

Cukiemunstr said...

Glad you are feeling better! I love reading your blogs and have been trying out your recipes now that I am post-op. I have to say a huge "Thank you!!!" I have been drinking the coconut protein shake ever since I found it and am going on my second bottle of Torani's!

Take care of you and thanks for all you do!

The Lingo Family said...

Dang Aliens!!! Glad you are feeling better. :)

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear that. Get well soon. Saying prayers for you.
-Penny

Lisa said...

Oh no! Hope you are back to good health soon! Was just thinking of you today - take care.

Jessica said...

Glad to hear you are on upswing. I wish I could say the alien invasion missed my house but no such luck. Started with youngest and worked it's way to me. Ugh not good not even being a month out.

Rae said...

I am glad you are beginning to feel better. However, I am super jealous that you can mow your lawn in January! It is 10 degrees here.

Karen Butler Ogle said...

I'm glad you are feeling better, Michelle. :)

~Oct said...

Glad you are starting to feel better. Whatever bug that was, Cro and I had it too and it was BAD!

Justawallflower said...

oh man, sounds like an exhausting weekend! so glad your feeling better!

Jenn said...

Glad you're feeling better,
so... about the applesauce,
"Applesauce:
Like bananas, apples are a good source of pectin (a soluble fiber that helps to absorb liquid in the intestines and thus move stool along smoothly). However, the high fiber in raw apples makes them too rough for a dicey intestinal system. Cooking the apples makes them easier on your system to digest, thus allowing you to benefit from the pectin, sugar and other nutrients that lie within."

I think the active cultures in yogurt is a great idea!

Jenn

Anonymous said...

So sorry you've been sick. Glad to see you are on the mend. Love your blog and recipes.

Linda said...

So happy to see you back and am happy to hear your feeling better. Also wish it had been a handsome hunk that you had been with laying on some white sandy beach with but hey who knows that could still happen So glad your back you were surly missed !!

Your friend,
Linda

leendadll said...

I think a friend in Oklahoma had the same thing. Glad you're feeling better.

Personally, I think your first mistake was in mowing the lawn when there are plenty of good looking gardeners available for hire. But maybe that's just me.

~K said...

I knew something was up when I didn't see you on FB for a few days. Sending you every good vibe. :)

<3 K

Hillary said...

I hope you feel "normal" again soon!

Anonymous said...

Missed You...Glad to hear you are starting to feel better. You are my inspiration to eat correctly!

canticles said...

OMG, Shelly! YUCK! Sounds like a rotten time. I'm glad you are on the mend.

Maurine Lucas said...

So glad you're beginning to feel human again! Even when you are down and out, you come back and find the humor (cartoon posted) in the situation, AND a great recipe! You rock - well or sick, you are amazing.

SHELLS said...

Oh I am so glad your back! I was starting to get worried!

BeckyVDU said...

Oh my, I am so sorry. I have missed your posts and was wondering what happened but I never thought it would be that you were ill. I just thought you won another contest or were secluded doing some top secret testing of another yummy SF syrup! I'm glad you're beginning to feel better.! Hope tomorrow is a great day with no pain. Missed you!

Becky

Anne H said...

Get well and stay well!
Blogland needs ya!

Cinn said...

Oh no! Feel better Shell. Lots of water. The shake sounds good. I'm enjoying the coffee malted chocolate one right now. Yum. {HUGS}

FitBy40 said...

so glad you're feeling better and back to blogging! Also, I nominated you for the stylish blogger award. Check it out on my page.

Libby said...

Glad you're feeling better hot stuff!!