Thursday, February 4, 2010

A day in my pouch

Yesterday. My post weight loss surgery day in eating...

Breakfast: Mmmm Coffee, Chocolate, Banana.


Shelly's Mocha Banana Joe Protein Shake

8 oz. Vanilla Soy Milk
1 scoop Chocolate Protein Powder
1 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (I used SF Vanilla - on sale now)
1/2 Banana
1 Taster's Choice (or Starbuck's Via) Instant Coffee Tube
2-3 ice cubes


Lunch: All the flavors of a Greek meal. Chicken, Lemon, Mint, Cucumber, Olives.


Shelly's Tzatziki Chicken Salad

2 Rotisserie Chicken Breasts, chopped
1 Cucumber, diced
1 cup Grape Tomatoes, halved
zest of 1/2 a Lemon
6 Kalamata Olives, pitted and minced
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Fresh Mint, chopped

Greek Yogurt Dressing
3 oz. Fage Greek Yogurt
1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon Greek Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
juice of 1/2 a Lemon
a few twists of Black Pepper

In a mini food processor (a post-op must have) whiz olives till minced. Mix all salad ingredients together.

Mix dressing ingredients till well combined.

Toss all ingredients together with dressing. Chill.

I was gone all afternoon till pretty late so I wanted a dinner with minimal work...

Dinner: Fish or shrimp cooked in a foil packet is one of my go-to meals when I want something wonderful but super easy. I served it with steamed seasoned carrots.


Shelly's Herb and Garlic Fish Packet

1 fillet of Cod (any firmer white fish will do: Cod, Halibut, Tilapia, Orange Roughy)
1 Green Onion, chopped
1 Tablespoon Fresh Dill, chopped
1 teaspoon Butter
2 cloves of Garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
a slice of Lemon
Aluminum foil

Ingredients listed are for one packet multiply it for how many packets you are making. Place all ingredients in center of a piece of heavy duty foil (if you are using the $1 store stuff double it) Fold the foil over and seal each packet.

BBQ 15 minutes in covered grill. Open packets carefully steam burns are not fun.

Snacks: 2 Tropical Sunrise Protein Mini Muffins, a Cutie Mandarin and waaaay to much Coffee as usual.

A yummy day. Post weight loss surgery eating is GREAT eating don't let anyone tell you different.

9 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Just popped in to say Hi. Gee, Shelly, it looks like you were expecting me. I adore Greek food and your Tzatziki Chicken Salad is making my mouth water "as we speak."

Thanks for sharing...

Anonymous said...

The fish packet is something I would like to try, but I dont own a BBQ. So could I cook the foil packet in the over? What temp & for how long? Thanks I love reading your blog.

salathia said...

so, i think you read my mind or SOMETHING, because i have been driving myself NUTS about the greek dressing. i will be able to eat meat soon & i'm nuts about the dressing as a dipper. so ... THANK you for eating & posting it today, so i don't have to go threading through all of your old posts. WOOHOO (btw: the salad looks so freakin good ...)

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hope you guys enjoy it.

Anon, BBQ's are pretty hot so I'd do at least 400 for 15 maybe 425 you'd have to test drive it.

nicolepdonnelly said...

Hi Shelly- I just found this site through OH and I love it! I love to cook and am a bit of a "foodie" and I am in the process to get RNY this spring. I was wondering though, are all these recipes for 1 serving? I wasn't sure one could eat 2 chicken breasts for the southwest chicken salad recipe. Maybe you save some for another time? Thanks for posting these they are invaluable! ~nicole

Michelle "Shelly" said...

LOL Nicole OMG noooo that serves like 4 people easy. I don't put serving sizes on dishes because what I eat as a 3 1/2 year post op is different from a 4 month post-op say... so I leave that up to you guys & your medical posse.

dining table said...

What I want to try in this list of yummy dishes is the salad because it really is very nice and I like the way it is done.

cyd boone said...

Hi Shelly,
I too am new to your blog. Loving it. I am having my surgery in the late summer. I love the fish recipe. Was wondering if you have tried your fish in those nuke-o-wave steam bags. I love them. Depending on the serving size of the fish, takes about 5-7 minutes. I am loving everything about your blog. Very informative. Thanks so much. You really should think about a cookbook!

Jo B said...

Love your site and your recipes are great.

Do you count carbs? There is so much info out there. Some say 50 carbs/day, 100/day, 25/meal....so confusing.

What's your take on good carbs?