Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Green Eggs, No Ham

Every year in honor of Dr. Seuss's birthday I serve some sort of twist on Green Eggs & Ham. This year I had the green eggs covered but opted to not add ham though you definitely could. I heart my bites (crustless quiches) they make great breakfasts, lunch with a scoop of salad, party appetizer, or dinner which is how I had them. I served them with a to die for bowl of soup. I'll post that recipe sometime this week. It was super yummy.

Shelly's Green Bites

3 Green Onions, diced
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
1 cup Fresh Baby Spinach, chopped
2 Tablespoons Storebought Pesto (or Homemade Pesto)
5 eggs
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
2 Mozzarella Cheesesticks, cut into 24 pieces.

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients together except cheesticks. Cut cheesesticks into 24 pieces (kitchen shears work great)

Spoon into lightly greased (Pam non-stick spray) mini muffin tins. Place a piece of cheese in the center of each and push down slightly. If you want to add ham I'd say 1 slice, diced would be perfect. If you do add ham I'd cut back a bit on the salt.

Bake for 30 minutes at 350.

Let them cool a few moments they pull away and pop right out. Makes 24. Great in the fridge for a few days or freeze and defrost as needed. Reheat in oven.

Other Eggface Bites: I have like 37 different versions ;)

My Favorite Seuss-isms:

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

"I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues." (The Lorax)

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."


Anonymous said...

Do these reheat in the microwave well? So many times I can't have left overs because the microwave changes the texture somehow (especially chicken!) and it doesn't agree with my pouch.
Thanks, Dana

Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hey Dana, They reheat very well... I prefer the oven or toaster oven though.

I have this great gadget I use for microwave reheating.


You put water in the base and it steams so things stay moist.

Bonnie said...

Sounds yummy!

Randi said...

Yum! Definitely making these. :)

Anonymous said...


How many do you typically eat with a meal?

Just curious.


Michelle "Shelly" said...

Celeste, Depends... 2 or 3 if I have w/ a bean salad or green salad. On their own with nothing else 3 or 4. With soup last night I had 3.

Obviously always go with what your Dr/Nut recommends on portion sizes.

Erin said...

I have to be corny for a second—you are so beautiful and creative, Shelley! I just read through your whoooole blog (I’m going through RNY in 6 months) and I have to say that I think you are awesome! Thank you for sharing all of your love and wisdom!

Indiana_Janet said...

Looks like a great meal. I think husband would like it too. I can see freezing them and popping them in the convection oven.

suzycuzie said...

I am new here. A fellow bandster told me about this place! Wow...what I'd be missing if I hadn't been told.

Really looking forward to trying some bites! :) Thx for Eggface!


MaryEllen38 said...

Hi Shelly, I am a newbie to WlS (3 wks out) and to experimenting in the kitchen. I made these and it only made one small mini-muffin tin of 12 plus four in the muffin tin. What did i do wrong.
Thanks for all the great recipes and for this inspirational website.
Mary Ellen

Diane Okura said...

I just found your blog yesterday and I'm so glad I did. I love your recipes and plan to start making some of them today! Thank you for doing all this hard work for us. You are an inspiration to me. I had my sleeve 3/15/13 & have lost 26.4. pounds. I have a long way to go.


Anonymous said...

I love your blog! I am a newbie GB (just 5 weeks ago) and trying to make sense of it all. Cheers!