A day in my pouch

My yesterday in post weight loss surgery eating...

I got a call from my catering pal to help out and couldn't pass up the opportunity for some $ so I whipped up a protein shake and was off... not being sure how long I would be gone I packed my super cool bento with some protein to tide me over till I got home.

Breakfast: Mmmm a yummy Strawberry Protein Shake. The strawberries have just started here in Southern California. I got some beauties at the Farmer's Market on Saturday. We have a fairly local U-pick-em place if it's nice next week I'd like to go do that. Growing up on Long Island we always went to the farm to pick our own.

Shelly's Strawberry Protein Shake

8 oz. Vanilla Soy Milk
1 scoop Strawberry Protein Powder (20% off discount code info)
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Strawberry Torani Syrup
3-4 Frozen Strawberries (or Ice)

Whiz in blender till smooth. Top with Sugar Free Land o Lakes Whipped Cream, optional.

Lunch: I ran out of my favorite Pineapple Cottage Cheese and all I had was the plain stuff (I only cook with it, not eat on its own) I was planning on making some Shelly's Cottage Stuffed Peppers with it but I snaked a little and flavored it. Yum pleasantly surprised.

Pink Box (top left): Cheesestick
Green Box (top right): Pistachios
Blue Box (bottom left): Red, Ripe, California Strawberries
Orange Box (bottom right): Shelly's Flavored Cottage Cheese

Shelly's Flavored Cottage Cheese

1/4 cup Cottage Cheese (I used small curd)
2 Tablespoon Sugar Free Torani Syrup (any flavor - I used a combo of SF Strawberry & SF Vanilla)

Mix. Tada.

Dinner: Got home and made my Quickie Meatball Stroganoff with some slight modifications. No fresh dill at the Farmer's Market this Saturday means I used dried and I used Fage Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Oh I threw a cup of frozen peas in too.

Shelly's Speedy Stroganoff Meatballs (version 2)

1 Yellow Onion, sliced
8-10 Mushrooms, sliced
1 Tablespoon Butter
2 Tablespoons Multigrain Pancake Mix (I use this)
1 3/4 cups Beef Broth (I used Chicken Broth this time)
1 cup Frozen Peas, defrosted
1/2 cup Fage Greek Yogurt (can sub Sour Cream)
a few twists of Black Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 Tablespoon Fresh Dill, chopped (only have dried? use 1 teaspoon of that)
10-12 Cooked Turkey Meatballs (make your own or I cheat and use these)
Butter/Oil for sauteing

Saute onions and mushrooms till golden. Toss in peas. Add butter and pancake mix. Cook for 1 minute. Add beef broth slowly stirring while you add. Cook till bubbles and thickened. Add remaining ingredients. Cook till warmed through.

I normally serve it with cabbage (boiled then sauteed lightly is my favorite) or sauteed spinach but I just ate it on it's own.

Snacks: Oodles of coffee, the last 2 Mini Berry Protein Donuts, and a handful of peanuts... I went on a walk after dinner and brought some nuts in a baggie to feed the ducks. I might have tasted a few ;)

When I got home I saw all the wonderful messages and Facebook postings about the Progresso contest. Thank you so much for your votes :) and kind compliments. The voting period (aka my suspense) goes on till April 12. You can vote once daily, everyday till then. The top 3 vote-getters will win.

www.progressosoup.com/souperyou/

The make over part of the prize is awesome but I'm really excited to take my Mum to the Statue of Liberty. We lived in NY and saw it, but have never been on Liberty Island. In the 80's it was closed for renovations, post 9/11 it was closed for security. Her and my Dad immigrated from England in the 60's. It's a scary thing seeing your country disappear through a boat window, off to the unknown in a new country... Lady Liberty was the first glimpse of the US they both saw. She is a pretty cool "greeter."