Corned Beef & Cabbage Casserole

Oh this might just become the St. Patrick's Day tradition at my house each year. It was soooo good. I mean corned beef and cabbage is great but top it with gooey melted Irish cheese and that my friends is heaven. Thinking of scoring some more corned beef while its cheap to make this again soon. It will definitely be added to the Eggface St. Patty's Day Favorites list.


Shelly's Corned Beef & Cabbage Casserole

2 cups of Cooked Corned Beef, cubed (leftovers are perfect for this)
1 head of Cabbage, boiled, chopped and drained
1 Yellow Onion, chopped
3 Green Onions, diced
6-8 Mushrooms, sliced
1 Tablespoon Butter
1 Tablespoon Spelt Flour
1/2 cup Chicken Broth
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
a few twists of Black Pepper
1/2 cup Irish Cheddar Cheese, grated
Olive Oil of sauteing

Cook the corned beef according to package directions. Set aside to cool. I cooked it the night before in the crock pot and cooled in the fridge. Trim any fat and cube. Cold from the fridge made the trimming and cubing easy. This casserole is a great use for the leftovers the day after St. Patrick's Day. Cut the cabbage into sections and boil till fork tender. Drain and chop. I use a sharp metal spoon to chop it into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.

Saute onions and mushrooms till golden. Add cubed beef and chopped cooked cabbage. Stir till combined. Make a well in the center of the pan add butter and spelt. When butter is melted slowly add chicken broth. Season with salt & pepper and stir to combine.

Pour into Pyrex dish. Top with grated cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes till bubbly & golden.

If you have a little more or less corned beef or cabbage toss it in. Rarely would any casserole recipe I create be so exact a science that a 1/2 cup of something one way or the other couldn't be added or subtracted.

I served it as is for dinner but you could serve it with some steamed veggies, fresh spring peas or baby carrots would be great.

Ate this yummy dinner then watched the Idol results show. You guys watching Idol this season? I'm really not feeling it. I have to multitask when I watch because there are so many I don't like. I like Crystal (she's got the whole gritty Janis Joplin thing going on) and Lee (he's super cute but always looks like he's so nervous he's gonna hurl.) Others I sort of feel are Casey (I think he looks like a Harlequin Romance cover model... not my type but he's talented) and Andrew (I like his story, he's a local SoCal boy, but I fear he will never repeat the magic that was "Straight Up") Big Mike is a talented guy but his confidence comes across cocky and rude. It's not endearing. Every season I say I'm not going to watch it but I stick it on in the background then I have to see what happens.

Keeping with the Irish and music theme of this post. If you haven't gotten into the band "The Script" (nice group of Irish lads) yet do yourself a favor & download or buy their self-titled debut album. It's so good. Literally I could listen to that band sing the phone book... well OK maybe not the phone book but give it a listen you won't be sorry.